1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

wanted to buy,adv bike in northern thailand

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Simonhantler, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Simonhantler

Simonhantler waiheke simon

Oddometer:
    where do i start looking for an adv bike in thailand? DR400 or similar. store it somewhere around chang mai and ride june july each year.
  2. TBR

TBR One Life ~ Live It...

Oddometer:
    Thailand based bike forums like http://www.rideasia.net could be helpful as bikes come up for sale from time to time, just sayin' as rego / licensing might be a challenge somehow in case your a non Thailand resident. Have a look and might work out contacting a few dealerships around the "Land of Smiles" = http://bigbikeshopindexthailand.blogspot.com

Personally, would just go for long term rental (new bike every year and great extensive testing) and bring riding gear and soft luggage every year....
  3. markinthailand

markinthailand Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep -- TBR is correct. Buying one as a non-resident is pretty much impossible. You need a non-immigrant visa and proof of residency, etc. Long term rentals are not too expensive -- lots of places do that. In the end, that is probably a better deal. The climate here is BRUTAL on rubber/electronics/etc. so leaving it sitting even with the battery out or on a tender, etc. is a bit of a risk. You don't want to come back to find it infested with ants or cobras. :-)

Good luck! Let us know what you decide. CM is a great place to base out of for a couple of months each year (or all year round as the case may be).
    Farang Paul likes this.
  4. Simonhantler

Oddometer:
    cheers guys. im not adverse to renting, but find owning better financially and i can set the bike up how i like it, better seat is usually a good start, and i know its maintained well. so many rentals dont do maintenance because of cost and im not riding a bike for 2 months thats rooted.
    i have a KLR sitting in the U.S that i had a great ride on last year thru forests, but asia is so much more exciting, better food, worse beer, i really wish asia would jump on the craft beer movement but dont worry europes the same (except UK of course)…..im getting side tracked.:photog
    CM is where i want to base myself from, ill be 2 up some of the time (my 13 Y old son) so will need a 400 plus.
    any ideas on who to contact for a 2 month rental each year?
  5. markinthailand

Oddometer:
    First of all there is craft beer here. :-) just look around. Riverside has a good selection and some small scale brewing is happening.

For a well set up bike I'd suggest Tony's big bikes. They are usually solid.

I get what you're saying -- I'm thinking of getting a bike for when I'm in the US each summer. It's too bad the laws here Won't allow it.
  6. Simonhantler

Oddometer:
    great to hear craft beer movement happening up there, its been a big factor of why i have been going to states for so long, you can get great beer everywhere in the states i hang out in WA,OR,CA,CO,UT. probably not in the middle.
    mark, what sort of bike you getting for states?
  7. markinthailand

Oddometer:
    Thinking about a used Vstrom 650. Reliable and mostly on-road or at most dirt roads.

I've got a Rally Raid CB500X here, and it is great especially given the conditions of some of our "roads" once you get out into the provinces. :-)
  8. lockyv7

lockyv7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sunshine Coast Australia. There is no winter here.
    i am going through the process of looking for a bike in Thailand myself, the misses being Thai helps, the CB500X is on the list as well is the Kawasaki ER6N and 650Versey.
    I will build my own luggage system for whatever i buy and intend to be there three months in country and three months out so its not going to sit to long.
    Baht-and-sold has lots of bikes for sale.

on another note, i never had a problem with Chang Classic, the preferred fuel for all cheap charlies :)
  9. davidgtr

davidgtr n00b

Oddometer:
  10. Farang Paul

Farang Paul A Late Convert

Oddometer:
    Vstrom may be good - but there is a reason that Versys and the 500X are more popular here in Thailand - they are manufactured here.
    Consequently the availability of parts is much better on these two bikes than the Vstrom. Add in that there are many more Honda and Kawasaki dealers and only a few Suzuki dealers that can service Vstroms and that may explain why they are more popular here.
  11. markinthailand

Oddometer:
    Rent one of each for a couple of weeks and rail on it. Then you'll have an idea of the base bike and what you can do. That's why I chose the CB500X -- and that was before the Rally Raid kit was out. You can honestly just stick knobbies on it and a skid plate and be good to go. YSS and other suspension options are available here for it, etc.

We are really spoiled as renting is easy and not too expensive. Pop's got a few Africa Twins now for rent too... :-)
    kiwial likes this.
  12. RowBust

RowBust Long timer

Oddometer:
    Honda CRF250RALLY, made right there in Thailand
    gavo and markinthailand like this.
  13. prince666

prince666 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    "Buying one as a non-resident is pretty much impossible."

just to correct a few people about plating a bike in a non-resident name in Thailand.

Needed to look at this because the paperwork needed to take the bike out of Thailand when not in my name just sucks.
    So with that in mind, I set about the process to allow my bike be registered in my name.
    Things needed.
    1. Tourist visa (only had 5 days left)
    2. Rental agreement
    3. police TM30
    4. Letter from local immigration office to confirm your address.
    with all the above in hand was good to go and only took 1 day to complete.
  14. markinthailand

Oddometer:
    That's GREAT news. The problem until recently was #1 -- they would only issue the TM30 and Immigration address if you had a non-Immigrant visa (so #1 made #3 and #4 impossible).

Well done! This unlocks a LOT of potential for folks to tour SE Asia!
  15. Farang Paul

Farang Paul A Late Convert

Oddometer:
    Don't get too excited! All the above depends on which office you use, which officer you get, which way the wind is blowing and what time of day it is.
    There are rules but they are open to interpretation by each individual office and each officer.
    Sometimes you can strike lucky - which office did you use Prince?

Please don't assume you can buy a bike, register it and export it - This is Thailand (TIT) sometimes yes, sometimes no - often a major hassle. All of which you do to buy a bike at a higher price than almost anywhere else, unless it is under 150 c.c. (second hand bikes are also higher in price than most other countries).

Sorry to pour cold water on this thread but I have lived here for over 12 years and have had numerous guests at my hotel, which is biker friendly, some of whom have attempted this with little success. As a rough rule of thumb, the more tourists there are in the area of the office you try to use, the less likelihood of you being given a TM 30 on a tourist visa.

Never heard of one being granted in Phuket though I do know of success in obtaining one in Krabi, a smaller office, but only when I sent one of my Thai staff with the tourist to vouch that they were staying at my hotel.

People should understand that although there are laws in Thailand they are only enforced on a random basis and open to personal interpretation by the officer concerned - who may be thirsty (TIT)!

So, if you want to try, do your homework, ask around - get a Thai person to help you. If you are in the Krabi region pm me and I will try and assist.
    kiwial likes this.
  16. prince666

prince666 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was staying in Chiang Rai.
    And yes I would agree that it could be much harder elsewhere, depending on which way the wind is blowing.
    But it can be done well at least in Chiang Rai I have the green book to prove it lol
    Is it not true that TM 30 was always needed but only recently there are enforcing this requirement if you are not staying at a Hotel?

The transfer was done February this year (2017)

(Get a Thai person to help you.) :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

And at the same time, I ordered a new plate number ???? yes, you have it I got 666.
    That take about 6 weeks from time I asked to being told the bike number is available
  17. markinthailand

Oddometer:
    Paul is correct -- it all depends. I can see it happening in Chiang Rai and other places with fewer tourists. I think here in Chiang Mai would be harder. But it was done so it is possible. But when CR gets a new head of immigration it might change again!
  18. prince666

prince666 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Time will tell, but for now it makes my life so much easy takeing my bike into Laos to do my visa runs.
  19. markinthailand

Oddometer:
    Oh, you're good and won't loose the Green Book. It's the next person who tries it!