1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Wanting a 3D expert

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Beet, Sep 3, 2020.

1. Beet

Beet adventurer

Oddometer:
    A fuzzy photo but. I’m wanting someone in the know to say they can make the plastic part of the air cleaner box. That’s the part just below the headstem. 170E9EC4-B5AB-498F-ABF0-0B9E97FE8849.png
    I can supply 2 damaged ones for sizing.
    Any one.
    I’ve hunted the www for new ones with no success. Regards
  2. bigborett

bigborett Hipster Supporter

Oddometer:
    Someone will be able to do it Beet.
    Scan the old ones then hit print. Almost.

There was someone on a FB page advertising, but I think he wanted Autocad files for project.
  3. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Beet, PM me and I'll send you my post address.
    3D printing in high quality, UV stable materials is very economical these days... We have a 3D print bureau down the road and a clever young one who can recreate the part for reproduction.
  4. Gadget678

Gadget678 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm keen to know how this works out. TT250/350 tank shrouds are almost impossible to come by in good condition... Not to mention the hoards of WR200 owners that can't get replica plastics.
  5. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m old school but have embraced the new technology... The firm that we work with have very high resolution scanning capability... Their 3D prints are 100% faithful and the filament materials are very close to injection moulded components...
  6. tripodtiger

tripodtiger Off riding around on bitumen circles.

Oddometer:
    looking for a smaller house & bigger shed.

There is a potentially huge market in replica parts, as if you need to be told.

I've just sent off a profile sketch to have some carb bell mouths machined via CAD. What can be done is just fantastic, wonderful, amazballs.
  7. Precis

Precis Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer:
    Wrong side of the Vcitorian virus zombi-fence
    So, they don't sleep around then?
  8. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    Ray, did you supply the CAD? Thats the first step we have to go through. Who can do the CAD for us to then get a print?
  9. felixblack1

felixblack1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ensure that the printer can provide a air tight print. FDM printers for instance result in what could be comparable to a wood grain structure. Depending on quality, some products can leak in between the strands of plastic. There are methods to seal but I would risk DIY method for an airbox.

-A fibre reinforced 3d printer using ABS creates a incredibly strong product. Not sure how airtight they would be though.
    -Avoid your neighbours kids PLA printer. Cheap but PLA plastic has low melting point and will likely leak.
    Kiwirich likes this.
  10. tripodtiger

Oddometer:
    I've drawn a section, accurate to my reading of the verniers and the width of the pencil. Later, once the machinist (Crafted Performance in Sydney) had a better notion of what I'm after, I sent a carburettor, and some more drawings, for him to work with. So, anybody want some short bell mouths for their Mikuni VM34 carbs? Two stroke application, rather than 4 stroke.

In my job, it's not going to be printed, but machined by CNC. It is something that could well be done with 3D printing.
    AUSSIEADV likes this.
  11. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    Getting the 3D printing done is the easy part. Getting a CAD on an item you want 3D printed seems to be the tuff part.
    Boxa and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  12. tripodtiger

Oddometer:
    Given some of the other comments, getting something 3D printed correctly might also be an issue. I suspect there will be any number of people prepared to print parts that end up being not up to the job. Like having work done, on the cheap, overseas. Then discovering that either the materials or their methods aren't up to scratch. Paying twice.

There has been some interesting reading in the last two issues of Old Bike on the subject.
    SmittyBlackstone and AUSSIEADV like this.
  13. poppy

poppy Slow and Steady

Oddometer:
    Looks like you could almost use a radiator hose Beet. Be interesting seeing what comes of the Printing.