War and Pieces- Soviet Sidecar Rig Resurrection

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by MotoJ, Feb 28, 2012.

1. MotoJ

MotoJ Mobtown Hacker

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Today I had the second maiden voyage. This time she's a keeper! A few months ago after a grand total of maybe 5 hours of riding the bike started clattering and it got progressively worse til I decided I had to see what was up.

So the motor came back out and I could see the flywheel and front crank gear wobbling. Bent crank!
    It was most likely bent before I started but being a noob I couldnt tell. Running it made it worse. Anyway, I found a guy with a big lathe who new what he was doing, and he beat it back straight (thanks ScooterBob!). I finally got it all back together and buttoned it up today (took two Saturdays). Runs great, sounds great, and I had so much fun I ran it out of gas and had to push it home!
  2. Paint shaker

Paint shaker Been here awhile

Oddometer:

:freaky
  3. 100mpg

100mpg Self Imposed Exile

Oddometer:
    :clap Wow, what a beauty. That thing looks good AND looks like it could drive through a wall. well done.
  4. matman1972

matman1972 Lost in the woods.

Oddometer:
    :clap

:clap:clap:freaky
    Must have been some psychic connection transmitted through that crank.you sent me. I stayed up till 5 this morning getting everything buttoned up, slept for 5 hours, then went riding the rest of the day.
  5. MotoJ

MotoJ Mobtown Hacker

Oddometer:
    Awesome Matt- yeah we seem to think alike bike-wise- sidecar teeth and AMF Hardly Able-to Sporties, etc.
    Glad to be able to help you out- I love the hunting pics you put up with your Ural "Meat Wagon".

I'll be taking mine on a back-roads shake-down ride today. If she doesn't come back on the back of a truck I'll consider it a rousing success!
  6. Hubris

Hubris n00b

Oddometer:
    Having recently bought a KMZ K750M i consider this my visual repair manual :D and thanks for an enjoyable read.
  7. chris93372

chris93372 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :clap

Great read! Glad to see that all the work that you put into it was rewarded!

Ride in good health!!
  8. RomaDakota

RomaDakota Experts agree!!

Oddometer:
    Update?
  9. gspell68

gspell68 Long timer

Oddometer:
    A note on the valve covers/cylinder caps, those are pretty rare. The three ridge ones are actually off the original, late 1950's, first-generation KMZ (Dnepr) K750's like the one I have (even mine doesn't have them due to an engine swap!). They're sometimes (erroneously) called "winter heads". The were NEVER used on an M-72, and certainly never used on an IMZ (Ural) bike.

And as far as "sick cookies", I'm sure I make the other guys look as sane as Dr. Phil. This is my project bike I brought back from Iraq in 2007. It's all packed up in pieces in my shed, all painted, with every single part ready for assembly. I just need some time and space...

[​IMG]
  10. Leaf

Leaf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, and I thought my bikes were basket-cases when I got them. :p

I demand a build thread! :clap :freaky
  11. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Scott Pell,
    You gotta be kidding!
  12. J-Dub

J-Dub Combat Commuter

Oddometer:
    "I got a good name for this car...Rusty!"
    <object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7FTw2TXYxuM?hl=en_US&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7FTw2TXYxuM?hl=en_US&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
  13. M37cdn

M37cdn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    perfect tug candidate for the SSOD

:D
  14. MotoJ

MotoJ Mobtown Hacker

Oddometer:
    Hey there! Happy New Year!

The bike is on the back burner for now. I need to get the car mounted next. I've been trying to just keep up with maintenance on my daily riders, then Christmas got in the way.
    On the second crank, as the repaired first crank twisted again. I found a surplus motor. Hopefully it's all sorted finally.
    Couldn't have done it without your help, RD.
  15. Prmurat

Prmurat Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was so interested by your thread that I bought a K750... did not want the sidecar (I have a GU Ural) but really wanted a SV! Did all of 50 miles with it! Gearbox was hard to change gears, front of the shaft was almost off the hockey puck and rubbing the frame/swing arm.... After looking at the gearbox rebuild here, I decided I was better at polishing paint and bought a "new/redone" gearbox on Ebay (motowadimus).... the only thing new were the outside bolts/screws. The inside was in worst state than mine!! So now the gearbox is out to Ken Ulrich... Gearbox turning into dearbox!!:evil

[​IMG]
  16. MotoJ

MotoJ Mobtown Hacker

Oddometer:
    Very sweet bike! I'm jealous. How is it riding solo with that leading axle front end?

Ken will do you right with the gearbox, from what i hear. I read all his posts on Russian Iron with considerable interest- he's a wealth of info.

More pics!
  17. Prmurat

Prmurat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well... The little I rode was interesting, bordering dangerous! If I had really deep pockets I would ask a machinist friend to create a way to "push" the front axle to the front.
    I do not want to highjack your posts but here are some interesting pics:
    [​IMG]
    How out was the rear shaft...
    [​IMG]
    Well finished shaft!
    [​IMG]
    Kick starter spring in my "new" gearbox

[​IMG]
    Found in my old gearbox!

[​IMG]
    How to ruin your back: bike felling off the lift'n
  18. RomaDakota

Oddometer:
    Being too kind. Hope the new crank works out!

19. RomaDakota

Oddometer:
    Hey Prmurat - that fall won't hurt that thing! Imagine (or don't) what it has seen already. You have a great looking and interesting bike there - it spans about 4-5 decades :evil
  20. MotoJ

MotoJ Mobtown Hacker

Oddometer:
    Right- 'tis but a scratch! A mere flesh wound!