Warnig, Harbor Freight

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Motor, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Motor

Motor Poet Lariat

Oddometer:
    Just wanted to vent a bit and inform you all what to be expecting from Harbor Freight in the future. I ordered a tire changer and a motorcycle adapter on April 5, 2006, they said on website that both cartons shipped on April 7, 2006 via fedex. then about a week later I got a postcard saying both cartons shipped Aril 7 via UPS. No showy, so, I start calling and faxing and emailing customer service. When I finally get through by phone I'm given two tracking numbers , both invalid. I got through to Customer service 4/26 and was told that they were coming via USPS and were in my local post office as of 4/26.
    Today (4/27) the mail carrier showed up with the adapter in a box that was nearly destroyed but no tire changer. Called customer service again and was told that the tire changer would be here "any day now". Got a supervisor online and she says the changer is at a fedex location in Martinsburg, WV and would be here "any day now". Told her the very leasst they could do was refund the shipping cost but she offered me a 10% discount coupon on my next purchase, oh yea, I'll be ordering again real soon.
    Here is the problem, they no longer ship via UPS but now use only fedex ground, which in turn transfers the items over to the USPS for delivery. Tweenty days and counting, no changer, oh well maybe next week.
  2. westnash

westnash Long timer

Oddometer:
    whew,,,bad story. Maybe where you are Fex Ex ground doesn't deliver but in most places they do. I got a computer shipped by them last week and it beat its projected delivery by one day...something that never happens with UPS.
  3. raysuf

raysuf Lost

Oddometer:
    I bought my tire changer from the location just south of you in Gaithersburg. Got it the same day I paid for it. You could have walked there and carried one back in this amount of time. Good luck!
  4. Motor

Motor Poet Lariat

Oddometer:
    Fedex air delivers here at the farm almost weekly and have their own code for the security gate as does UPS and several other merchants that make regular pickups and deliveries. It is the f.....g fedex ground that is really just contract agents that are completly unreliable. They don'rt even push the button that rings the phone here at the house or office, just leave whatever it is 3/4 mile out there on the road for anybody or the weather to have their way with it.
    Too bad I didn't post for suggestions on the bmwbmw board or most likely you would have posted the local source. Live and get pissed on.
  5. R_W

R_W wannabe

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I am going through the same :topes right now :boid

all to save $20 from the price at the store :baldy
  6. kildala2000

kildala2000 The GS Store.

Oddometer:
    Hey, :D

You think your story sounds bad. I did the same thing and I finally got to Canada 6 weeks after I ordered it. A huge customs & duty, + taxes. Then I opened the box which was distroyed by now to find out most the of the changer was gone.. Phone customer support 3 times to complain, well lets just say 3 years later no missing peices.
    I built them myself.

Leson learned..
    Good Luck.

Rick:D
  7. Cornbread Red

Cornbread Red Fart's dust

Oddometer:
    Fed-Wrex just plain sucks. I have the same problem with dumbass contract drivers that you do. I tend not to buy mail order or online from vendors that only ship Fedex.
    UPS always works for me.
    Chip

8. dmrrallen

dmrrallen Thermonuclear projection

Oddometer:
    :wink: For what it's worth...Harbor Freight will match their internet pricing at their retail stores. (I found out inadvertantly when I was complaining about the price dif when I bought my tire changer)
  9. HiSPL

HiSPL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not to sound crass or anything, But HF sells CRAP at the cheapest price possible. What on earth made you think that their customer service would be any better than their products?

I buy stuff there too, but only what I would consider disposable items...

BTW, that includes the 12" mitre saw that was on sale. I bought the guarantee and I'm on the second saw in two months. Only reason I bought it was to build my kids a playground. If it lasts any longer than that I'll be shocked....
  10. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer:

Ya live cheap ya die cheap!
  11. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Often FedEx uses FedEx Home Delivery. Thats the one with the green/purple logo. They are setting new records for worthless; right up there with DHL. The company I work for ships stuff to be FedEx Home Delivery. I just go to their terminal and pick the stuff up. That cuts back on the hassle factor.
  12. Anorak

Anorak Woolf Barnato

Oddometer:
    Exactly. Cheap offshore crap. Buncha cheapskates ruining our native manufacturers by shopping price not quality. Probably get bird flu from the HF junk.
  13. raysuf

raysuf Lost

Oddometer:
    As others have said, I got the prices shown online. I guess they didn't keep up on the signage at the store. That and a 20% discount got me a $66 tire changer.
  14. R_W

R_W wannabe

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I know it is crap but when the choice is their $50 offshore crap vs. someone else's $100 offshore crap I will go for the cheapest crap. crap is crap, afterall.
  15. dlearl476

dlearl476 Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer:
    Exactly. If any one of us ran a tire store, Coates would be the thing. But for the price of one tire change in some markets (three in mine, I had a great guy, but across town) the HF tire machine is great for the 2-3 tire changes I do in a year.

Motor, don't mean to add insult to injury, but I bought mine on sale for the www. price, they were out of the MC adaptor. They ordered it, came in 4 days, I picked it up and paid no shipping.
  16. Motor

Motor Poet Lariat

Oddometer:
    My final update, Just had to drive into the post office and pick up the tire changer, box completly destroyed. Mirical of miricals all the parts were there. The adapter was delivered by the postal carrier last week ( I had opened and left the gate open for our ferrier ) or I would have had to drive in for that piece too. One day short of a full month since I purchased it 4/5/06.

Lesson learned.

BTW, living out in the country on a farm means it is more convenient for me , usually, too order rather than track down stuff in fairly nearby towns. It is not a matter of cost. The HF bike lift I bought about 7 or 8 years ago came with no hassle and has given me good service.
  17. markgsnw

markgsnw WTF?

Oddometer:
    what baffles me about HF is that they run their retial stores and web business as two separate businesses, so you get a sale flyer and get all lathered up and go to the store and they say "oh, that's the web flyer, we don't carry those," but they will match prices.

BTW, I'm an HF store fan. Yes, it's cheap stuff, but for the $$ it's OK if you're realistic about what it's designed for. I've had zero problems with any of their tools (unlike, say, Craftsman). Not to mention that you see the most, um, unusual people in the store here (wow, orange leopard-print pants on a guy).
  18. BlueLghtning

BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

Oddometer:
    Peachtree City, GA and Full Time RV Travel
    I ordered my HF tire changer probably over 3 years ago. I really enjoy it and it has more then paid for itself. (I wrote this thread a few months ago on Tire Changing 101) From what I remember, I was told it took about 6 weeks to ship and it took all of that to get to me. I think UPS delivered mine, but I can't remember for sure. I remember the motorcycle atachment box was just about destroyed, but the part was really okay. The other box was taped up really well and everything was okay.

I don't doubt that HF could use better boxes for these things when they weigh so much, but I think most of the blame comes from the package handlers at whatever outlet they ship through.

It sucks you had such a bad time getting it, but hopefully know you can start enjoying using it.
  19. mastiffdog2

mastiffdog2 A Bike Addict

Oddometer:
    Thank you. I won't shop there and their headquarters are in my home town. I can't stand the place and people who shop their tend to be folks who know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

When it comes to buiying tools (or usually anything else), quality reigns as my top priority.
  20. Oops409

Oops409 Tom

Oddometer:
    I ordered the HF tire changer on April 23. The next day I received an email acknowledging the order and it said that the tire changer would be sent via HFT shipping. ...not here yet.

WTF is HFT shipping? ...Harbor Freight Tumultuous shipping.:huh

Does anyone have suggestions on a wheel balancing device?