"warning". Chased with AR15 97 hwy from corral

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by catfishingguide, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    I call bullshit.
  2. Bato

Bato Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Me too

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16955648&postcount=5

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=729296

Unread 09-28-2011, 12:40 PM
    troyfromtexas is offline troyfromtexas
    Adventurer
    Oddometer: 39

Tejas A La Tierra... La Pesca, Mexico
    My first stop in Mexico was a small fishing village along the eastern coast called La Pesca (The Fish). I chose the town because it seemed like it would be a calm and peaceful place. And, it was near the ocean. It didn't disappoint. The town centered around the one road which ran through it. Along the road there were a number of restaurants, hotels and shops. At the end if the road was the playa or beach.

Here we could have a long discussion of the translation of LA PESCA which in my opinion translates as THE CATCH The FISH I would translate it as EL PEZ or THE FISH the act of fishing LA PESCA or the CATCH of fish and so on., all this based on THE ROYAL ACADEMY OF THE CASTELLANA LANGUAGE norms

but nevertheless I'm glad that a friend is safe and back in the U.S.A.
  3. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Are you trying to say this TroyfromTexas is the same guy as the OP Catfish or are you just debating the translation of fish:dunno

I just find it an interesting story and think it is hard to conceive all that happened but I won't be driving down that route looking for answers either. Look forward to hearing the next experience from down in that area from the next traveler:ear
  4. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1:jose
  5. Bato

Bato Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What I said is that Troyfromtexas is the:
    the next experience from down in that area from the next traveler
    that you were waiting for ....
    fixed
  6. Throttlemeister

Oddometer:
    Experiences are just that, everyone's is a little different along with Catfish's. They are what you say they are until someone proves you wrong.

Glad no one lost an eye, or worse, a life:deal

Viva Mexico and the rest of the lands to the South! Especially Colombia too:raabia
  7. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why not?
  8. Throttlemeister

Oddometer:
    Because there are many too different roads to take that no one has had a bad experience on that I know personally:deal

I'll be more than happy to listen about others trips on that road and besides I won't be riding in Mexico for over a year and by that time I would be more than happy to take that route.

But if I was heading to Mexico within the next few weeks I would be taking a different route, just saying I listen to someone else's bad experiences either if I don't totally believe in them or not. You can tell me about it since you think the story is BS:ear
  9. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    I didn't say the story was BS, I did offer to have breakfast with him and listen to the details of the story for the reasons I outlined. It is far too easy to embellish a story about Mexico as most people who don't deal with things on a daily basis have a somewhat skewed version of how things really are here.
    Some people think their particular experience should be a book deal or a movie of the week or some other horn toot.
    I just want to know what really happened and if I can learn from it, I will.
    It isn't complicated because open minds go with open roads.
    When wayward tourists were getting done in Miami a couple of decades ago, it didn't stop me from flying in there and driving out of there.
  10. Throttlemeister

Oddometer:
    I agree the story sounds amazing with what all happened and seems hard to believe but after meeting Anthony aka Catfishingguide, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that there was trouble along that stretch of the road during his trip. I don't know if a person will ever figure out what happened that day as this seems a very unique situation but I too would like to learn more what was going on with all the gun waving but I know it will not keep me from traveling in Mexico, too many other good roads. This kinda of reminds me of the area around the backside of Lake Atalian(sp?) in Guatemala, a place of known trouble that I will avoid.

Didn't ever remeber knowing about problem in Miami a few decades ago but all places with lots of people have trouble, that's why I like the countryside so much better; less people, just like Mexico the farther I get away from the cities and tourists the more fun I have.
  11. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree 1,000%.
    Some parts of the world will never be covered in table clothes and Starbucks. We shall call them "the good parts"!
  12. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    I think that Catfish believes that he was chased. I believe that there were guys with AR15's and walkie talkies. I believe that he rode his GS like a bat out of hell. And I think there was a misunderstanding, and that he was not seriously chased, and that the "chasers" did not mean him harm. Because if they had meant to harm him, then they would have at least fired upon him.

I wouldn't be surprised if a few assholes with AR15's thought it would be fun to scare the crap out of an American tourist and his girlfriend.

Even though I don't worry about travel in Mexico, and I let my 20 year old daughter drive there for spring break, I do know that there is actual violence, and a war, along the border and in Monterey. Knowing there's a war, and that desperate men do desperate things, I doubt that the combatants- bad guys and good guys, government guys and cartel guys, etc., would not have shot Catfish if they had wanted to. In their world, where they could each be dead in a moment, do they really care about consequences? I don't think so.
  13. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

The M-4/M-16 (AR-15) is widely distributed to the Mexican military, along with several other rifles (in many places like around Reynosa they have H&K G3's, around Laredo they seem to have some sort of FN in .223 whose designation escapes me at the moment), and Mexico has begun production of an indigenous rifle that looks just like some of the new H&K rifles.

You are highly unlikely to see an AK in official Mexican military or police service, although I guess that it's not totally impossible.

Both sides are carrying AR-15 variants.

So, to be honest, I would take your security guy's advice with a grain of salt.

Fact #1. There are a lot of stories of the bad guys stealing weapons from the military.

Fact #2. Most, but not all, of the weapons that are showing up in photos as having been captured from the bad guys (usually the Zetas) include a wide variety of pistols and Ar-15 variants that obviously come from the various manufacturers in the USA (sorry NRA, but what they say about rifles going south is true).

Fact #3. The Mexican military tends to keep guys with the G3 rifles in .308 together and the guys with rifles firing .223 together, presumably to ease logistic issues.

Fact #4. I don't see that many pistols among the Mexican soldiers. Sometimes you will see Metropolitan cops and Transitos (in some places; in others they aren't armed) with a variety of pistols.

So if you see a wide variety of weapons I would tend to think that it's the "opposition."

I'd also look at the vehicles. The bad guys don't have access to either the Panhard armored cars or the Hummers that the military has. Both sides use a certain model of Freightliner truck and both sides use pickups. Like in the States, most of us develop an eye for the local police vehicles. But if you see a number of pickups and perhaps a home-made armored truck, then you've most likely encountered the non-guv'mint opposition.

And if you've run across a group that contains cops there may be a cop car or two nearby. The sad thing is that sometimes it's hard to figure out what side the local cops are on, but at least in my parts of the border area the local cops seem less inclined to publicly associate themselves with the cartels.

The one time that I ran across some non-guv'mint guys was when I was cutting from a road where the bridge was out and driving down an access road for a canal. I ran across two guys in a black pickup that were blocking the way. They were polite but firm, and never showed any weapons. But they made it clear to me that I couldn't get where I wanted to go by going down that road and then they finally told me that it "wasn't safe." :eek1 So I turned around and went back.
  14. Bato

Bato Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  15. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    My fellow pendejos. It's now time for the Frijolero song :strum

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qcwaDYc1IWY" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>
  16. Airhead Wrangler

Airhead Wrangler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll expand on this a little as I live right next a marine base and an army base and I know my guns. It's almost always Army and local cops carrying the G3s. Most federales in Chargers carry a beretta M92 as a sidearm and an M4 carbine. The Marines most often carry the 20" M16 with more elite units carrying M4s and M249 SAWs. These more elite marine units often have M240s, M2 .50cals and even Mk19 grenade launchers mounted on their pickups and humvees. I have occasionally seen german MG3s mounted as well. That .223 FN you've seen is the FNC. They seem to be very old and almost totally phased out but are still in some local police armories. (at least farther south in my neck of the woods)

As has already been said, you're security firm's info is half right. If you see an M16/AR15/M4, it's far from gauranteed that it's a good guy. Especially if they're in plain clothes. They were right in saying that if they're carrying an AK it's 100% for sure not the "good" guys. The cartel soldiers seem to prefer m16s or other american/european guns judging by what gets seized. They probably give their janky old AKs and shotguns to the lackies guarding the pot fields.
  17. ElReyDelSofa

ElReyDelSofa Desubicado

Oddometer:
    Too funny...
  18. MCP

MCP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    matter if Catfish lied about this. I like to visit this site and this forum on a regular basis because it helps me shape a trip.... where to go, if I go, and if I want to take my S.O.

I value the reports I get here, and familiar names that repeatedly surface with first hand info since they either ride there a lot, or live there. Do I base my decisions on everything they say? No, but their views are combined with my experiences and risk evaluation and I make my decision. I missed a shoot out between the feds and cartels by about 15 minutes in March on hwy #200, so maybe I'm more cautious than most.

So if this is BS - it matters because even one report can be valueable. A couple months ago there was another report here about a guy getting chased on #200 hwy, and he got away. To me his report was totally legit. So is this becoming a trend? I don't know. I'm willing to take the random risk of getting caught up in a feud between the feds and cartels, but when gringos are targets on bikes, that takes on a new meaning for me.

I don't have my maps here in BC at the moment, but looking at the internet there seems to be quite a few towns on the OP's route back to the USA, and I confess I have never been on that route, but, I don't know how you manage topes, lights, dogs, cars, etc at 100 MPH. I'm not sayin it didn't happen, but it seems like there are a few holes to be filled.

I'd just like to know what I'm reading is in the realm of reality, so if we do get further info, from either the OP or others, it would be nice to hear.:ear

19. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    Please don't take it as offensive when I say, "Please do!" Mexico needs you and your ilk. :lol3 "With all due respect.":D

20. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    Seriously? C'mon, think about that. Or, if you prefer not to think, read just a couple of the threads from our fellow GS riders.

Oh, how I'd like to say we're an overwhelmingly cerebral crew, but I can't do it.

I mean, you and I are geniuses...it's the other 99% that I'm not so sure about.

I guess I'm saying that as much as I respect education and grammar, idiom does not make the adventure rider. Truly.