"warning". Chased with AR15 97 hwy from corral

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by catfishingguide, Sep 22, 2011.

1. SkizzMan

SkizzMan aka SkiddMark ;^)

Oddometer:
    Very well put, MCP.

When someone shows up here with a story like that they sure better be prepared to respond to questions and even challenges to their account of things because to us it does matter. If we were the type to tilt our heads back and have BS poured down our throats then we probably wouldn't be riding Mexico. We'd be too skeered.
  2. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't put too much faith in the internet. Lies, lies, damn lies, and statistics I think is how it went. Sometimes you just never know but it's like many places down South. A person asks where you are going to next and you tell them and they say why do you want to go there, all they will do is rob you and possibly kill you. You go to the next place and they ask where you come from and are amazed you hadn't been robbed or killed by the last place:lol3 Venezuela is safer than Colombia or Colombia safer than Venezuela, it differs in opinion and especially locale:dunno

Use your head and if it doesn't feel right don't go is all I can say, one person's hell is another's heaven:lol3

ADV rider is pretty good but it's not that good, the author and the audience fades. When I went to college one of the biggest things that was taught about the internet was the creditablity of the source, it can be very hard to determine on the many sites and on page after page of 'information' and I'd be one to say take the fourm for what's its worth and don't try to make more out of it. These are all stories of experiences and many vary and some are most difficult to prove, no matter how crazy we think they might be. It's heads or tales you call it:deal

I'm not saying I think the story is a lie but I along with many find it hard to believe, I'm just glad nobody got hurt
  3. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    Yup. That's about it.
  4. Axel White

Axel White Lone Rider

Oddometer:
  5. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    ADV! Come for the info and stay for the pun!

Tales for tails, well played!
  6. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    As a retired teacher I can vouch for having read LOTS of stuff written by people from all walks of life that cannot spell,punctuate,keep correct tense, write complete sentences, nor write in paragraphs-shall I go on with more? Come on, none of that is connected to GS riding-it is about can you write and believe me that isn't limited by vehicle choice or income level.As to Catfish being legit, we can only guess, unless we really know him. How fast will a 1150GS go? I've never had my 1150R beyond ~ 105mph by speedo, not gps.
    Pirate John, having used the term"guvmint", so I guess that makes him a non-believeable too?
    I heard directly from a member here in Mexico in March that he had heard gunfire in downtown Saltillo(I was there the same night at another hotel & ate too & heard none) but that doesn't make it true or false and I chose not to mention it here either as who knows if it was guns or fireworks & so on? Now getting chased or seeing the gun pointed at me would get me to write lots!
  7. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know catfish but Rambo or Chuck would have stopped him -I agree...:rofl
  8. panamapassage

panamapassage Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I agree with you both.

I think that the subject is so sensitive that if someone comes here and post such a crazy story, they should be doing a better job at "explaining" the holes.

The whole thing just does not add up.

I can't imagine someone being chased by 6 different vehicles, over 100 miles, at a speed of 100 mph, all the way to the line at the US border. With his girlfriend in the back.

Sorry, I don't buy it.
  9. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    What a lost piece you are....:(
  10. catfishingguide

catfishingguide Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i have no reason to lie about are exprerence leaving mexico . i will be happy to tell this to any body in person over a beer or 2 , this is not my 1st time dealing with guns pointed at me .or shot at .:freaky i have rode over 20000 miles in mexico and i have only had 1 bad day .
  11. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Quoted for posterity
  12. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:
    God ... I am sitting here, drinking tequila, and I suspect that I am going to regret this post in the AM, but what-the-hell ... :evil

I follow UFO tales. One of the nice things about my move towards Laredo is that it puts me closer to some things that I wanted to explore for the last few years but haven't had a chance to do so. But like the Juggernaut I'll get there eventually.

And I am not a True Believer. I am very, very skeptical about those tales of UFOs and close encounters. But in my mind, I have to ask myself, what if just one of those stories is true and what if I can actually find some tangible evidence, or even an overlooked witness to 'splain things to me? :deal

So what does UFOs have to do with this gentleman's tale of running from the (we assume) bad guys? Just that I am extremely skeptical and don't want to call anyone a liar, but there are some gaps here big enough to drive a car through.

I am seeing posts from friends and many are very skeptical. Arte, for instance, lives in the area and just doesn't believe this tale at all. Arte and Andres would have to be my #1 experts on that region to be honest.

But I don't think that the OP is trolling us. He ran into something. And he's pretty experienced with Mexico. So there is no doubt in my mind that either 1) something spooked him or 2) something in his personal life pushed him to post this story at ADVRider.

I go on the assumption that 99% of us on this forum are friends. And I am inclined to cut friends a ton of slack.

There are many aspects of this story that I find hard to believe. For one thing, I know the only possible crossings like the back of my hand, and have come through both the Reynosa crossing and the Pharr crossing many times, and just don't see either the Mexican or the US side taking a casual attitude when someone says they are being pursued by gunmen.

So with all due respect, I just don't think that this happened the way the OP says or thinks that it went down. But I don't want to criticize him any further.

Peace.
  13. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Quoted for posterity :freaky

Ah, what brand of tequila PJ?
  14. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    You should have stopped when the first guys flashed you and waved you down. If you have so much experience in Mexico ... then you should have known these guys were Federales ... not Cartel guys. Federales are plain clothes ... in case you didn't know. They carry Pistols AND AR's ... usually speak decent English and were probably stopping you for a good reason. They also have good photo ID, sometimes hung round their neck.

If you ran from the FBI in the US ... do you think you'd survive? You're really lucky.

Mexican Federales are very different from Transito policia, Army and especially Cartel hodlums. They have a LOT of power in Mexico, are pretty smart and well trained ... and many drive stolen or confiscated American SUV's.

Cartel guys would have simply shot you dead. By running on a Moto you fuck it up real good for any poor bastard that ever comes into that territory on his bike. Nice work. Next time they might just shoot first, ask questions later ... you know, Texas style. :eek1

Some Federales are corrupt but my experiences have been pretty good.
  15. catfishingguide

catfishingguide Adventurer

Oddometer:
    at the time i didnt have a choice ,in my mind
  16. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    Who ever regrets posting something that begins with UFO's?
    Late at night. While drinking tequila.

Anyway, I got your first-hand UFO witness right here. I'll need the better part of an evening to take you through it. Bring the tequila. I'll need that, too.
  17. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

Cheap stuff. Juarez. It makes for a good parts cleaner. :lol3
  18. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

:lol3

I just hope this isn't another one of those abducted-and-probed stories.

Of course, those aren't as bad as the abducted, probed, and I kinda enjoyed the experience tales. :eek1 :evil

Seriously, there are tales of a UFO crash near Del Rio and near Presidio, both on the Mexican side, that I have wanted to check out.

Hell, I am so far back in the woods here that if aliens stopped for tacos you'd never know it. :D

And if you had an experience I ain't making fun of it. There are too many well-meaning folks with tales to tell to completely dismiss what they are saying.

Which I guess is the point that I was trying to make about this thread. I think that something happened, even though I find it hard to believe that the Zetas would chase someone for 100 miles and not get them on top of that.
  19. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    If the OP is still reading this, do you want to take me up on my offer here in Veracruz?
  20. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe he'll take you catfishing in misery-I mean Missouri... I believe Catfish had a scary experience but it is hard to imagine a border guys non-reaction & it not making the news either, especially after the fairly recent gringos in the truck incident wherein the lady was shot and killed at the same crossing.Here in my neighborhood, most locals know the state police personally(my sort of next door neighbor is one) so, is that the same with Arte & others in that area? Are federales often from their assignment area? Reynosa does have a bunch of people so not so likely to know them to ask or hear something,huh? Very obviously known that my state police(nor any other agency I've ever heard of) do not chase you , then let you go on your merry way, no matter what the speeds involved.At 100mph+ it is certain it would not only be in the news in USA but also even more certain IF a "guvmint" agency is involved.
    Here's you a chase story : (I know its another compass direction,but what the hell)A grocery store co-worker in the 60's decided to get drunk,drive real fast(I remember 80-90mph) on a Topeka,KS street and in the process he was shot at to stop the car and as several car dealer windows got shot out in the process, for which he was given a bill for their cost that far exceeded his $1.35 an hr job, not to mention lawyers ,fines & court costs. Oh, & his car was shot all to hell too! Now, back to Mexico, just saying crazy stuff happens in tame old USA too.
    BTW,this Mike will be happy to ride with that Mike next time down!