"warning". Chased with AR15 97 hwy from corral

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by catfishingguide, Sep 22, 2011.

1. GeezerStank

GeezerStank Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Catfish person has already said several times that he would be fine with meeting with anyone and drink some beers and talk. It seems though you want him to drop his whole life, ride from Missouri immediately and ride down to hopefully earn your grand blessing in Veracruz! It's only about a 3400 mile r/t to run down for a day to chat. Maybe you should hop on your bike today and ride up to Missouri to investigate this incident and make a declaration on the Catfish story. He doesn't really have anything to prove, but I guess you do. Of course if he is a liar, he may lure you into the backwoods of Missouri, and him and his buddies may probe you like a UFO crew, or more appropriately like the Deliverance movie. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj4LnfkdJDM Then you'd have a dangerous Merika story to tell, which I would then call bullshit! ha

UFOs??? Quit eating the damn peyote fellas...:lol3 Although I think UFOs are real.....maybe....I haven't been probed yet though so I should call "bullshit" on them......:eek1

All in all though, this is a fun soap opera to watch. No matter what, ya'll think he is a liar, if it was me I wouldn't waste my time much on some of you. From what I've seen, anyone that posts a story about Mex is immediately declared a liar. I imagine sometimes that's true, overall though that doesn't matter due to all being driven off as declared liars. You'd have to be a real lowlife a-hole to post a fake story and unnecessarily worry a m/c community like this!

Seems the easiest way to solve this is for one of you locals down there to ride over to the area the incident happened and talk to the Federalis and locals. You'll probably hear a story of a crazy gringo and woman on a bike that they tried to stop and the guy ran like hell thinking they were bad guys trying to kidnap them or something. Or you may find that something bad was up and end up in the shit yourself??? No guts no glory, go investigate, it's safe in that area right.....:wink:
  2. princess jamaica

princess jamaica OLD DOG-NEW TRICKS

Oddometer:
    Let me start by saying i have never travelled Mexico by bike,but have in a truck in the'70's and 80's.Given all the negative press of late,isn't it possible that with the "good guys"knowing how caucious/scared some people are now of road blocks,they cut the OP some slack?His reaction.........better safe than sorry.
  3. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Read the offer again.
    It clearly says when he arrives. Now, let's leave it up to him to decide. Personally, I think he was very mistaken with what happened. He wouldn't be around if they wanted him, and none of the bad guys here "just give up" and none will get into a hundred mile chase at a hundred miles an hour. It is over long before that if they want you. Things don't add up and I want him to educate me on the "new math" to make things add up. The offer is still open. Until then in my mind it is simply a good story and I am not sure which half of the library to file it in because I have heard a lot of good stories in my time.

For the record, I had breakfast with a guy yesterday and spent a few hours with him after, and he had ridden the same route from Matamoros to Tampico in one day and he was relating how he shouldn't have listened to the negative stories and nonsense he heard from people and he would have enjoyed it more. His first time in Mexico and he was quite happy with how uneventful things were. If the Federales are going to go after you they are going to get you. I don't know one Mexican or gringo that has ever outrun them and on that stretch of road, two up on an ADV bike you stick out like a neon sign.
  4. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

Just for the record, you and I are pretty much in agreement on this one. I find it hard to imagine that things happened the way that the OP said, but if things were to get weird then down around San Fernando makes sense.

And, frankly, I have told several people that I didn't think that riding through that area was the best choice, but they did it anyway. And for that matter I'd do the Reynosa-Victoria ride myself without much hesitation because I don't think that there is that much danger at the present time for someone who is familiar with the area.

It's like the point that I was trying to make with the UFO connection - something weird happened (even if it's peyote and personal issues), the OP seems to believe his own story, we are all friends here, and I am not going to call him a liar because he doesn't take that "I hate Mexico" stance that some of the folks who never go to Mexico take.

That, and he does have good experience riding in the country.

I honestly don't have a strong feeling about what happened other than to say that I know the area, and know those crossings very well, and just don't see this.

With that said the guy that commented that perhaps a Federale might have tried to stop them and the couple freaked out might have a point.

Because, to be 100% honest, if the couple had run into the Zetas down there the Zetas would have killed them, unless some order has gone out to not mess with the tourists (which is a possibility I assume).

Anyway ... it's a really weird story.
  5. catfishingguide

catfishingguide Adventurer

Oddometer:
    if i am ever back that way i would be glad to meet up .
  6. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    If I'm around be sure to stop by on your way back down South for lots more:freaky
  7. gofast1320

gofast1320 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Seems the easiest way to solve this is for one of you locals down there to ride over to the area the incident happened and talk to the Federalis and locals. You'll probably hear a story of a crazy gringo and woman on a bike that they tried to stop and the guy ran like hell thinking they were bad guys trying to kidnap them or something. Or you may find that something bad was up and end up in the shit yourself??? No guts no glory, go investigate, it's safe in that area right.....:wink:[/QUOTE]

Yeah- What he said.
    Been several years since I was in Mexico in a car crossing at El Paso/Juarez and again from California/Tiajuana but more recently 2 years since I was there on a cruise ship. I never felt uncomfortable but would be interested in hearing more also.
  8. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here is a link to the blog of the guy I had breakfast with who passed through there.
    No drama.

www.gregsadventure.com

His "Crossing into Mexico" and "Mexico Day 2" were safer than a hair salon in Seal Beach, California.
    I think that an ADV rider has more of a chance of danger working for the US Postal Service than traveling in Mexico.
  9. elgringo-inaz

elgringo-inaz El Gringo

Oddometer:
    That is nuts. I live in San Miguel de A....now I am wondering how in the hell to go north when I do...east coast, west coast...border, all getting scarier...the stories seem to be increasing...been down here for a while and now I am starting to think twice...
  10. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's simple. Leave the way you came in and kindly close the door on the way out so Eric Holder doesn't try to send any more guns in.
    Atentemente,
    El Pueblo Mexicano
    P.S.
    Eric Holder no es mi hijo.
    Atentemente,
    La Chingada
  11. daveg

daveg no longer homeless

Oddometer:
    Even though I can't imagine how there is any doubt of the authenticity of Catfish's experience at this point, I stand behind him.

I met Anthony at ALAAR in NM and heard this story in person from him and his GF over a beer in Missouri before I saw the forum post. My mind was blown that he was able to keep his head straight and make it through this chaos. The guy rides his 1150 damned well and if anyone could keep it upright during this hell it'd be Catfish.

I'm sure that alot of you who travel or live through/in Mexico haven't had anything like this happen to you and it drives you crazy to hear it about your home... I've met alot more people lately who PERSONALLY experienced violence or excessive threats of violence, as opposed to the typical BS of some guy who's retelling something else's story from 20 years ago because they dont trust their neighbor. I can't stand it either but I think it should be posted here where it can be of use to others in making their own decisions of whether or not to travel through Mx.

Hell.. "one bad day"... :freakyto you catfish
  12. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not at all. In fact, if it can be a learning experience it is quite welcome. The truth about Mexico eludes so many people, especially those in the American media and those who believe the American media.
  13. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    I trust John and Dave. You can't get better references than theirs.
  14. Old-n-slo

Old-n-slo Burnin' fossil fuels!

Oddometer:
    True or not, what a great tale!:clap
    I'm just glad I didn't read it BEFORE leaving for Mexico. It could have gotten in the way of an excellent 9-week adventure.
  15. SkizzMan

SkizzMan aka SkiddMark ;^)

Oddometer:
    Precisely why such accounts are vigorously challenged by some here who ride México regularly.

You can read a similar account with a very different outcome posted on the "Is México Safe?" thread by Sjoerd Bakker.
  16. Hikertrash

Hikertrash Wasted Rock Ranger

Oddometer:
    Wow, thanks for bringing that thread back up. My head hurts from reading it. Looks like ADV let another 15 y/o with a vivid imagination join the asylum. Hey kid! Go back to school and learn to read and write:pep
  17. daveg

daveg no longer homeless

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the very productive comment.

I'm all for content over format any day.
  18. Hikertrash

Hikertrash Wasted Rock Ranger

Oddometer:
    Me too, but not from a 15 year old troll.
  19. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    The OP isn't a 15 year old troll. He's a real rider who has cred with real riders.
  20. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just curious.
    For credibility, how much experience did that rider have in Mexico prior to the "incident"?