"warning". Chased with AR15 97 hwy from corral

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by catfishingguide, Sep 22, 2011.

1. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    I encourage my daughter to go to Nogales every month, where she volunteers in a clinic.

My younger daughter, in her AP History class, recently studied Pocahontas, from the Pocahontas point of view. When John Smith thought he was about to be executed, and then was saved by Pocahontas, what he failed to realize was that the entire ceremony was planned. Pocahontas "saved" him by placing her head on his. It's doubtful John Smith ever knew that he was never going to be executed.

John Smith sure had a great story to tell. This was before motorcycles were invented. In today times, Jiohn Smith would have been on a BMW GSA.
  2. Airhead Wrangler

Airhead Wrangler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm going with the plainclothes federales theory. It sounded like they had every opportunity to kill him and didn't. The only reason you chase someone and not kill them if you have the chance is that you want to talk to them or kidnap them. I can't imagine why a cartel would want to talk to him. Kidnap him maybe, but that's not really their MO for kidnappings. Random daylight kidnappings aren't that common. They typically find a juicy target, research their routine and then snatch them at the most opportune moment. Daylight kidnappings of random targets of opportunity aren't that common or typically that persistent if the target evades their first attempt. I think the federales theory holds the most water.
  3. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    How many foreigners have been kidnapped in Mexico in the last year?
    In the last two years?
    How many ADV riders have had problems in Mexico?
    How many movies has Disney made about Pochahontas?
    How many times had the OP been in Mexico traveling by bike prior to this "incident"?

We need some numbers here.
  4. SkizzMan

SkizzMan aka SkiddMark ;^)

Oddometer:
    It's that or a vigilante group like Sjoerd Bakker encountered recently. Read his account on "Is México Safe!" thread. Posted recently.

Either way the OP handled it poorly IMO.
  5. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe they really just wanted to ride his bike:rofl I got a gun pulled on me by some bad guys outside Saltillo(sp?) in Nov 2010 when I was heading South. I thought the big bastard was wanting to steal my bike and was believing it until he came back from his little test loop not looking any happier than when he started:deal

I had a couple of thousand dollars on my person at the time and wasn't robbed when it would have been simple for the guys, I think I could have even been friends with the bad guys had they been in a different line of work.
    I might be naive but I believe you have to really piss someone off pretty bad or be at the wrong place and the wrong time to be killed while riding a bike in Latin America, I'm not dead yet and I know I've met some of the "bad guys".

Crazy shit happens from time to time, at least nobody lost an eye or a life. Things change on a daily basis down here depending on who's where at the time, but you are still much more likely to be killed riding your motorbike which is probably way more dangerous than any one country in Latin America imho.

John in sunny, and wet from time to time Cali, Colombia
  6. Reryder

Reryder Onward through the fog...

Oddometer:
    Seems to me it was more likely Federales etc than bad guys for two reasons:

1. They pointed weapons but did not shoot at you. For that many guys at that many attempted road blocks to universally hold fire takes discipline. These were disciplined, trained operators, eg Federales etc.
    If they had been bad guys, at least one of them would have got excited enough to let off at least a few rounds. They couldn't help themselves under the conditions you describe. Specially after the insult of your first escape.

2. Both the Mexican cops and the US border officer seemed pretty casual about the whole thing and indicated it happened all the time. If there were bad guys right there kidnapping foreigners all the time, it would be in the news all over the place, which it apparently isn't.
    More likely Federales hassling people and maybe taking small bribes to make the hassle go away happens all the time.

Probably lucky you were in Mexico. I cant imagine the FBI being so forgiving.

But then again, I don't know that I would want to stop and find out for sure which one it was either!
  7. colomtnbiker

colomtnbiker wimpy old guy

Oddometer:
    The only bad guy(girl) I met in 3 months of traveling in Mexico/Central America was my wife, Badass Chacha Tequila who rides her own. We stayed in Zacatecas a week ago at the Howard Johnson Hotel. All the federales for the Semana Santa/Spring Break Week were staying there too. They walked around the hotel in all their gear toting their automatic weapons. The AC wasn't working in the hotel rooms but was in the hallways. We were next to at least 3 different rooms with the Federales. They left their doors ajar at night so the rooms would cool down. Once we figured this out, we did the same thing.
    Mexico and Central America are safe, safe and safe. We never ever experienced any bad stuff in 3 months of travel.
    We crossed back into Nogales last Thursday.
  8. evildingo

evildingo On a road to no-where

Oddometer:
    Hell of a ride mate , I bet the blood was pumping some adrenaline ,
  9. catfishingguide

catfishingguide Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I WILL BE THERE and will be more than happy to talk about mexico kristy may even make the trip :freaky
  10. evildingo

evildingo On a road to no-where

Oddometer:
    Has anyone recently ridden from Mexico through Panama to Colombia ,via Darien Pass ?

Woof
  11. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Really, how many times have you been back down here since your "adventure"?