******warning for mexico route 200******

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by rtwpaul, May 15, 2011.

1. Free Radical

Free Radical High speed drifter

Oddometer:
    To the O.P., thanks for the head's up. These are the "data points" that one has to consider in Mexico.

I'm constantly amazed at the disdain some display for warnings such as these. Naivete comes to mind. To put the risk of violence in Mexico in the same category as something that "could happen on 405" in Southern California, as a previous poster has done, is asinine.

For the record, I've traveled Mexico since 1968. The O.P.'s post reinforces the need for the extra awareness, caution, reliance on instincts and common sense that has always been a rule of thumb in Mexico. This is especially true in today's environment.
  2. BobLoblaw

BobLoblaw Comfortably Numb

Oddometer:
    Here's some additional information the OP did not provide.

http://www.nicksanders.com/2011/images_blog/9/MCN%20Bandit%20story%20pdf%20cropped.jpeg

This was the Nick Sanders group. High profile including public SPOT tracking and I'm sure they drew lots of attention to themselves as they were travelling.:norton
    Personally I like to travel under the radar.

The group is now back in Mexico heading south. I see they have wisely turned off the public SPOT.
  3. ChrisUK

ChrisUK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would suggest that the OP provided the more accurate account of events. Motorcyclenews is the UK motorcycle industry equivalent of comic strips like the National Enquirer.

Good that nobody was hurt or worse.

cheers
    Chris
  4. SkizzMan

SkizzMan aka SkiddMark ;^)

Oddometer:
    Well put.

Some of the "disdain" on these Mexico threads is directed at the fear-mongering rhetoric of some posters by experienced Mexico travelers who do take the safety issues seriously.
  5. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    I dont have disdain for warnings, I take them for what they are and evaluate the relevance to my situation. Mex 200 has had issues in the past as have other highways, and this incident although serious, given the circumstances, it does not really surprise me.

Here is what I said.
    People used to randomly get shot at on some SoCal freeways, but they were still considered safe to travel. Determining what is safe is no different in Mexico. Bad stuff happens on some roads, but they could still be considered safe to travel. You have to make your own determination and use your own judgement on how you will approach traveling in areas with violence problems.

In Mexico I have had a gun pointed at me, but no one ever shot at me, no one ever kidnapped me, and I just rode through the entire country, again. To date I would guess I have driven and ridden roughly 20 to 30,000 miles in Mexico, probably not nearly as much as you have since you have been doing it since 1968. But since you have determined that I have total disdain for warnings like these and I am naive, it must really amaze you that I am still alive after spending so much time in Mexico, not to mention all the other countries in Latin America that I have ridden in, which would be every single one. For what I do often, riding and surfing in Mexico, I take precautions given the situation, and at this time, I consider it safe enough for me.

So I guess I am just really lucky? Oh, wait, no, I'm asinine, naive, and lucky. Its a wonder I'm still alive. :lol3

Mexico had never been what most people in the rest of North America consider "safe." Parts can be like the old wild west, and for me, that is one of the reasons that I like to go there. If you dont want to go to Mexico, then dont go.

I will make my own determination on how I take warnings like "avoid this road at all costs."

Have a nice day.
  6. BobLoblaw

Oddometer:
    The point was the OP didn't tell us he was with a high profile group complete with public SPOT tracking.

I'll bet this group drew attention to themselves every where they stayed.

And the OP said ***avoid this road at all costs**** .Maybe he should have said avoid this road if you are with a high profile group that draws attention and has shit bad guys want
  7. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    :rofl:rofl:rofl

More "disdain". :lol3

I'll say it again: the difficulty is in understanding how specific incidents of crime in Mexico are relevant to our own travels. This incident more than most. I'm grateful to the OP for sharing this with us but I don't agree with his conclusion since my risk profile is very different from this group.

And Crashmaster should know that all of us following his RR think he's lucky. :D
  8. BobLoblaw

Oddometer:
    Disdain?:evil Yes,

The statement, the message to other riders *** avoid this road at all costs**** is unworthy of my respect because the OP didn't provide all the facts necessary for me to decide how this incident might relate to my travels.
  9. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    I agree with you and Vinnie on that point. We all have to figure it out for ourselves. That's where the real challenge is. It's easier to simply write off Mexico (or some piece of road) than to serve due diligence in understanding the true risks.

Not sure I understand how Spot is a risk factor for one or a few riders. Your thoughts?
  10. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    :rofl

Hey, dont forget asinine and naive too because there is always more to it than luck. :lol3 Actually, I was very lucky that she even gave me the time of day. :D

As far as safety in Mexico, I approach it like SS in Vzla says, "God protects drunks and dumb animals." :photog

But on a more serious note, I think the OP provided enough information for me to determine that riding Mex 200 is no more risky (for me) than it ever has been. You pay your money, you take your chances, thats part of the thrill too.

Everyone is different and YMMV.
  11. BobLoblaw

Oddometer:
    If this was a targeted hijacking then the SPOT would give the hijackers very useful information. Since apparently Sanders has chosen to disable the public SPOT on his return through MX (now in progress) suggest he thinks the SPOT may have been a contributing factor.

For the rest of us I don't think SPOT is a risk factor. However when I crossed at McAllen three years ago I left the SPOT hanging on my jacket as I went through Customs. I was selected for a detailed search.

This year I put the SPOT in my pocket. Went straight through:D
  12. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    US or MX customs?
  13. BobLoblaw

Oddometer:
    us
  14. MCP

MCP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    for the original posting; I'd rather get this kind of info which goes into the mix so I can decide on a route, and time, then ride a stretch of road with a greater sense of awareness, etc rather than have my head burried in the sand.

I'd agree with Crashmaster, your choice, your ride, but Mexico is getting worse in terms of violence, so IMO, the more info the better, and the more first hand accounts the better.

I wonder if Mexico is moving more towards what Columbia use to be like, less the FARC of course? Be a shame if that happens.
  15. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    It may hinge on the upcoming elections. Looks like there may be a significant shift in the works that will reduce drug violence.
  16. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding... Supporter

Oddometer:

***avoid this road at all costs****

...this was the comment made by the local police and authorities as there was an unusual amount of issues recently on that particular stretch of 200

Again your are all big boys, make your own call on this, just simply letting riders know about the issue, period!
  17. ChrisUK

ChrisUK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Bob

I'd like to contrast and compare the mag article, Sanders' blog about his commercial trip and the OP post: In none of them is a spot tracker mentioned.

The OP refers to 20 people in post number 1 and clearly they will have drawn attention to themselves. In addition Sanders is very big into self promotion.

In post number 78 we learn that the chase truck was 1.5 hrs behind the last bike. The mag article claims they were all chased. Only the car was chased.

The whole mag article reads like some bigged up sensationalist scare-mongering bs.

As has been said by some people here, we are all old enough to weigh up the risks and take on board what we need from this story to make our own decision. Unfortunately for the Mexicans, because of the comic strip known as MCN, less Brit bikers now will go to Mexico, which means less tourist £ or $.

cheers
    C
  18. BobLoblaw

Oddometer:
    Here's more reference to the SPOT http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=694112&page=3

Yeah lots of discrepancies and self promoters do have a way of enhancing a story. The only guy that knows the truth is the truck driver and we haven't heard from him.

The OP has provided some useful additional information telling us the warning to avoid MX 200 came from the local police and authorities.

MX 200 north of Lazaros Cardenas is a cracking piece of road. For me the small bit of risk adds to the adventure.
  19. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    It's very much appreciated. And we will.
  20. ChrisUK

ChrisUK Been here awhile

Oddometer:

The Spot tracker is for the Prudhoe - Ushuaia - Prudhoe "World record or whatever" attempt. If he completes the trip he will have done it 3 times (South north twice and north south once) this year. I'm not aware that the 20 man trip had a tracker. But with the circus that is a Nick Sanders trip, I'm 99% positive that they were waiting for him (Nick's truck driver) rather than this being an opportunist event.

Post 78 describes the events from the truck driver's point of view. It sounded to me like a genuine bs free description, rather than the bs infested version pedalled by MCN/Nick Sanders himself.

FWIW, I spent a month in Mexico in 2000 as part of my own Trans America trip
    http://www.thebrightstuff.com/ch13.htm and http://www.thebrightstuff.com/ch14.htm and 3 weeks dirtbiking in Baja in 2009 http://www.thebrightstuff.com/baja2008overview.htm and only have positive things to say about the country and it's people (except the topes, bus 507 and the Copper Canyon dog :norton ). Sorry about the "self promotion" :wink:

cheers

Chris