******warning for mexico route 200******

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by rtwpaul, May 15, 2011.

1. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Those banners are called "narco mantas" and you can find them all over Mexico. Usually they are strung up around 4am and are down by first light when a patrol passes by. They almost always directly follow or precede killings which are drug/mafia related. Cheaper than telemarketers and more effective! LOL!

Quote:
    <table border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset"> Originally Posted by SchizzMan [​IMG]
    I'll say it again: the difficulty is in understanding how specific incidents of crime in Mexico are relevant to our own travels. This incident more than most. I'm grateful to the OP for sharing this with us but I don't agree with his conclusion since my risk profile is very different from this group.
    </td> </tr> </tbody></table>
    That is probably the single best statement I have seen on any BB regarding travel here in Mexico. I thought it should be repeated in case anyone missed it the first time around. Schizz has summed things up pretty well with that.
    When tourists were getting shot while taking the wrong turn in a rental car when leaving Miami airport back in the 80's did people stop visiting California?
    Or Wyoming?
  2. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll take exception to the statement Sanders makes that the driver, Wolfe, is a hero. He is a victim & a lucky one at that! As to his saying that a clients broke bike is no loss, I certainly don't wan;t to lose mine down there(or anywhere else!) , just because it is "broken". I'm certainly no sort of risk expert, but common sense tells me that a lone rider is an easier victim than a large group. Sure, a group holds more treasure, but when you have the guns(bad guys obviously) I'm not sure how a group size enters into it. On that road there isn't a lot of traffic, so every vehicle that goes by is noticeable and if it isn't a cop or military or another criminal then in Mexico it can be assumed they don't have a gun so all are likely candidates to rib & steal? So, yes that is a "VERY"!!! noticeable group to a thief,but why does the size group matter? A target is a target?
    BTW,what is a "Public Spot"???
  3. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not to attack BUT, dumb animals probably are not going to last long and it doesn't fit in with the natural.i.e., instinctive thing animals have that dumb ass humans seem to forget at times. As to drunks, they are very vulnerable,just ask a cop on that one.
  4. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    My host in Toluca , this past March, has that same notion, i.e., that once Calderon is gone the baddies will calm down from his having stirred them up.
  5. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    What are you going to do in that exact spot-get out your gun?:D
  6. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:

Uh, it was a joke. :lol3
  7. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    I doubt that, because once Calderon is gone and IF the PRI take power the entire country will go the way of Chihuahua, Tamaulipas, Nuevo Leon, etc...
    Your host is forgetting that it took the PRI 71 years to try to destroy Mexico and now they are lining up for another shot at finishing things off and turning it into the "narco-democracy" they have envisioned for decades. The original cartels have split and multiplied so many ways and the market in the US (not to mention the growing domestic market here in Mexico) is so large, the turf wars will never end. Get used to it because it won't magically change if Pena Nieto somehow manages to become president, nor El Peje. You don't want to see what will come of that, because that is exactly what happened in Nuevo Leon, a situation where Mexico City DF is actually safer than Monterrey.
    Calderon is guilty, too. His taxation reforms and corruption within his party has left him with only the narco/mafia fight as his legacy. His steps to tackle extreme poverty and regional disparity are unfinished and in tatters. His early attempts at combating money laundering and express kidnappings and extortion failed to the point of being laughable and mediocre and only served to annoy and anger Mexicans. He had the power to clamp down on things from the start, but like Fox, he decided to play politics instead of taking things seriously.
    How can you blame people for siding with the mafias (most of the "narco" stuff has now morphed into brutal organized crime as the real narcos prefer to keep things quiet and stay out of the street level stuff) when they are the ones who provide local security and build sidewalks, provide food, build schools, etc...? Meanwhile, the politicians who are supposed to be doing all that and more are buying up property in the USA so they can bail out when the crap really hits the fan here.
    Take away the passports and foreign property and freeze the foreign assets of every Mexican politician from local to state to national level and force them to face the reality of having to live and have their children live in Mexico and make them all live like normal citizens and you might see a change. Take away their parachutes and they'll learn how to fly the plane.
    IMHO anyways, sorry if this is too political for anyone's tastes.
  8. SkizzMan

SkizzMan aka SkiddMark ;^)

Oddometer:
    Maybe what we need here is a less subtle Crashmaster.
    Hmmmm, wonder what that would look like.
  9. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:

a bfh? Lol!
  10. MCP

MCP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    risk management - as in reduce the risk where possible, just cause its my style, and uh, no, I'm not a gun toting kind of rider, but I do carry a hockey stick:wink:

11. SkizzMan

SkizzMan aka SkiddMark ;^)

Oddometer:
    Bitch or Bastard?
    :hide
  12. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:

I just read sanders version in mcn and the whole way he depicts it us BS, I just quoted the facts for riders to be aware of potential situations...if u read my other trip blog on here a guy asks me if I was with NS and my simple quote is "yep, never again" and I stand by that

I had no idea what he was like until I first met him in ushuaia...self promotor is a polite way to put it!!!!
  13. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Eventually, these people move onto greater things in life, like used car sales.
    Had more than a few of them on here.
  14. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Uh, yeh I know...

MikeMike- that was a good job of describing( from my limited perspective) the Mexican dilemma! I was saying that his(host) version was that Calderon "stirred up the hornets nest" as a simplified version of his further thoughts. He travels the entire country and certainly could say more , as did you.
  15. LaOutbackTrail

LaOutbackTrail Certified Smartass

Oddometer:
    Not very relevant, but neither are half the comments in this thread...
    In Costa Rica, the moto pizza delivery guys were being attacked and robbed (not for the grande pepperoni an queso), so the deliveries are now paid for before delivery... or at least by mobile credit card machines.

As for (any sort of) violence (anywhere) it is often unpredictable.

I've been to Mexico and Oklahoma, both four times each. So far, bad (potentially violent) experiences with people: Mexico-0 Oklahoma-3.

The funny thing is I've spent more time traveling in Mexico than Oklahoma.
    And to be fair I believe we must have come across a couple meth labs/weed farms while exploring the mountains as we have done similarly in the Sierra Madres Oriental of Mexico.

The thing we need to try to remember is that you are probably more likely to die in a motorcycle accident while riding in the US than to be a victim of an attack in Mexico or abroad...

According to the state department (US Citizens): 79 Murders/Executions were reported to the USSD in 2009 while 4,462 persons died in motorcycle cycle accidents in 2009, in the US.

Of course we know crime has been up lately in Mexico but, 111 murders/executions in 2010 and 65 from January 2011 to July 2011.

312 rider fatalities... in Texas, 2010.
    For a fun comparison, there were 143 murders in Dallas,TX in 2010 which was the lowest since 1967.
  16. LaOutbackTrail

LaOutbackTrail Certified Smartass

Oddometer:
    The one place that is more dangerous for US travelers to travel is, the United States, unfortunately.
    The five places which are only less dangerous than Mexico for US travelers are Honduras, Philippines, El Salvador, Afghanistan, and Dominican Republic.
  17. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I guess growing up around a lot of crazy bad ass mofos makes you like traveling in Latin America even more, worked for me.

I've never been to Spain, but I've been to Oklahoma...:lol3

Most of the people in the world are good, you just gotta be good at avoided or making friends with that other little bunch:deal I'm still alive:wink:
  18. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    That's funny.
    Great song.
  19. MCP

MCP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    living in the DR for 5 years now, and I can't say I feel unsafe; but, I don't drive at night, and I live in the country not the city. We don't have mass murders, or running battles between the police and druggies, decapations, or any other general shit that goes on in Mexico. It might happen & I don't hear about it.

Never heard of anyone getting chased down.

Sure liked Mexico a lot more before the narcos flexed their muscle, but I'm going back their soon, my bike is awaiting:wink:
  20. mundobravo

mundobravo Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 :clap