******warning for mexico route 200******

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by rtwpaul, May 15, 2011.

1. mortalsun

mortalsun n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm in Puerto Vallarta now headed to Lazaro Cardenas tomorrow, then onto Acapulco. Curious If I can make it to Lazaro Cardenas in a day. You can see my website mortalsun.com.
  2. Road Dust

Road Dust Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Last May I rode from Acapulco to Colima in one day with no problem. I would guess that Puerto Vallarta to Lazaro Cardenas would also be doable.
  3. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    PV to Lazaro is one full day.
  4. SkizzMan

SkizzMan aka SkiddMark ;^)

Oddometer:
    Wish we were riding it, Amigo.
  5. jimmex

Oddometer:
    It's a nice ride for sure; a little spooky though.:chace
  6. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    That'll put a hook in me.
  7. wetpanda

wetpanda n00b

Oddometer:
    I just rode the same road this week and it seemed fine - I just got a speeding "ticket" but I was actually speeding.
  8. cdavisrosco

cdavisrosco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rode route 200 from Colima to Zihuatanejo yesterday and today with my wife on two bikes. Great riding and no problems. Was off road before 3:30pm both days. I wouldn't hesitate to ride it again.
  9. jimmex

Oddometer:
    You must have started a 6:00 AM.
  10. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    Or maybe they ride like you. :D
  11. cdavisrosco

cdavisrosco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2 days
  12. jazzer

jazzer Lost again... Yeah! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry, I have to ask..... If there was a Triumph and a KTM on the trailer..where were the riders? Wouldn't they usually be in the sag wagon?
  13. 1Man2Wheels

1Man2Wheels Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another rider checking in with my experiences. I just rode this section and didn't have a single problem. I took two days, stopping frequently and stayed at the cabanas in Colola the first night, Lazaro Cardenas the second night.

The road is in very good for condition except for the last hour before Lazaro Cardenas. There's a lot of construction in this part - brand new sections of wide blacktop followed by sections with potholes, blind crests and gravel so be careful.

Other than that I didn't feel in any way vulnerable on this road. I took the usual precautions such as not riding at night, something I don't do anywhere else in Mexico either. Its remote, but not as remote as I expected . Some of the roads I came down through Coahuila on were much more isolated.

If anyone is coming through later next week, expect lots of company. The Cabana owner in Colola told me that a bike club from Morelia will be riding MEX 200 on Friday Nov 18th.

Finally, here's a link to the best English language site I could find about this section of the Pacific coast:

http://home.comcast.net/~alpinelakes//Coast_of_Michoacan/

The author has hiked the entire coastline. There's some great info on where to stay and what to see, as well as advice on security and some entertaining anecdotes about the area. If you are at all concerned about riding down here read this site to help you decide.
  14. nakedwaterskier

nakedwaterskier Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It was May. It was late afternoon/early evening rush hour...I didn't look at my watch. It was still sunny but after 6pm ish.

All I did was move to the front of the line of cars at 5 mph.

I don't work for EBC but I was very happy how they warranteed their regular oversized rotor kit with a contour oversized rotor kit.

I do have a stainless steel brake line up front.
  15. EmilianoXR650L

EmilianoXR650L Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Saludos a todos !!!! ojala no tengan mala suerte al pasar por estos rumbos de Lazaro Cardenas, desafortunadamente esta inseguridad esta en todo Mexico, la recomendacion es viajar solo durante el dia !!!!!!

Si requieren en alguna ocacion de algun apoyo, hospedaje, una cerveza fria, etc .... estaremos por aqui pendientes para apoyar ......
  16. colomtnbiker

colomtnbiker wimpy old guy

Oddometer:
    Hola todos, My wife and I are on 2 KLR's, have ridden Hwy 200 from northern Mexico, we crossed at Nogales but did some cuotas because we really didn't have a choice. We started Jan. 22 from Tucson. This afternoon, we are in Santiago Pinotepa Nacional. Tomorrow we'll head to Oaxaca. This morning we rode through downtown Acapulco. It wasn't our intended route but it was hard finding road there. We stayed in Pie de La Cuesta last night. There have been '0' worries about riding this road.
    We'll be in San Salvador, El Salvador in 10 days.
    We will probably come back to Hwy 200 from Oaxca and continue the coast down south.
    Some of the towns or villages we have stayed in are Chacala, Rio Nexpa, San Blas, Barra de Navidad
  17. EmilianoXR650L

Oddometer:
    Colombiker :

Saludos, cuando pases de regreso avisanos y ojala te sea posible aceptarnos a mi esposa y a mi una cerveza fria en estos rumbos !!!!!!!!!
  18. EmilianoXR650L

Oddometer:
    Is there anybody out there ????? ...
  19. PVMotos

PVMotos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IT States everywhere and its talked about everywhere DO NIGHT DRIVE AT NIGHT... Uggh
  20. Uncle Pollo

Uncle Pollo Bad Hombre

Oddometer:
    They never learn.

What next?

"hit a cow at midnight on mexican hwy 205 ... avoid at all costs!!!!"