******warning for mexico route 200******

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by rtwpaul, May 15, 2011.

1. SkizzMan

SkizzMan aka SkiddMark ;^)

Oddometer:
    If I understood the original accounts they weren't traveling after dark. By the time the bad guys drove to a remote area and released the SAG driver it was getting dark.

The take-away for me in all this is not to publicize the daily Spot track of a large, well-equipped expedition with a 4wd crew cab pickup following along. That's a coveted vehicle in some remote parts of México.
  2. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 It seems that traveling in a nice crew cab p-u is one of the most dangerous modes of transport down there. I guess I won't be doing the DGO-Mazatlan off-road ride. Bato's account of what happened to his brother really affected me as I had traveled that road two times in the preceding week and it is isolated. :jose
  3. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  4. Airhead Wrangler

Airhead Wrangler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had to pay almost $6kUS for a '98 Frontier 4x4 extended cab 4 cylinder (white luckily) with god only knows how many miles on it... and it took me over a month to find a deal like that. 4x4 pickups are WAY overpriced down here if you don't want something that's completely obliterated. Mid '90s toyotas with 150k+ miles on them go for $8-10k in Colima and Michoacan, well at least that's the sticker price. CRAZY!

Why do these organized tours have to get all pretentious and call themselves "expeditions." They're not exploring a remote unmapped region of the amazon or the south pole. They're just on a fucking road trip. Does that not sound "hard core" enough for them?
  5. Airhead Wrangler

Airhead Wrangler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Despite thinking I'd been completely ripped off for the truck, I've had three separate offers to buy it from me for what I paid whenever I move back to the states. I might just go into business ferrying beater pickups from the southwest into central mexico. :rofl I struck out at the car lots. They just wanted way too much. I went to the sunday morning auto pulga up in Colima for about a month straight and finally bought mine off a guy from Michoacan looking to upgrade to something with a legit back seat for his young son. Before buying it I ran the VIN in both the states and in Mexico and it turned up clean in both. All the Mexican import paperwork was in order, and the ownership document was the original California title. The last inspection in California on the carfax report was in 2008 at which point it had 150,000 miles on the clock. Now in 2012 it shows 113,000. Hmmm. At least it's not stolen as far as both the US and Mexico are concerned. Since it was originally a US market truck, I can drive it straight back to the US whenever I move home and register it there. Why would I though? I can sell it for $6k here and replace it for $3500 in Seattle no prob.
  6. SkizzMan

SkizzMan aka SkiddMark ;^)

Oddometer:
    If you read up on the Nick Sanders record attempt you might still object to calling it an expedition. But "tour" or "road trip" it wasn't. The record(s) they were attempting to break required an effort well beyond what those terms describe. My trips to Latin America, on the other hand, are no more than road trips. Nothing hard-core going on there.
  7. Animo

Animo Been n00b awhile

Oddometer:
    For some strange reason I don't believe you :lol3
  8. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    it was day light in the area where it happened...there was no Spot tracker in the group...simply wrong place at the wrong time...bad guys didn't want the bikes they wanted the truck...riders were split maybe an hour between groups of 4/5 max not in one BIG group...if you are down there its a right side drive so should be easy to spot, silver colored
  9. MplsMoto

MplsMoto Wheels

Oddometer: