Warning Lamps, Speedometer failed

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by bakercdb, Aug 23, 2018.

1. bakercdb

bakercdb Still searching

Oddometer:
    I’m in Africa and I had numerous failures just occur. 2015 F800GSA, 46k Miles
    -the speedometer quit
    -Three lights lit up steady in yellow on the left ( ABS, ASC, and Triangle warning lamp
    -Engine shaped symbol illuminated on right display

-bike seems to be running ok, despite lamps showing engine operating in emergency mode
    -ABS (F &R ) appears to be working (Road mode)
    -traction control appears to Not be working (Road mode)
    - I can try and change to Enduro mode (indicator flashes) , but Won’t accept the change

Rode about 40 miles and tried restarting a couple of times. No change. The speedometer started working and the lamps went out for a mile of so, then the errors reappeared.

Nothing appears broken or loose so far.

Any thoughts? I’m a long ways from a (small) dealer in the wrong direction.

-
  2. Reaver

Reaver How Did I Get Here?

Oddometer:
    I only have a minute...

Either your gauges are failing or the ZFE computer in front of your battery. Do the turn signals and lights work ok? A few ZFE's have failed on Traveller's bikes so it's not out out the question.

The bike will still run.
  3. cgguy09

cgguy09 Scientiæ Cedit Mare

Oddometer:
    Have you unplugged the battery? I've had issues on BMWs where this will allow the computer/CANBUS to reset.
  4. bakercdb

bakercdb Still searching

Oddometer:
    Reaver, I was one traveler that had the ZFE fail at c 20k miles (remember- in Chile) All the switches on the left failed and the grip heat stayed on, even with key off.
    All that stuff, and turn signals, horn, lights OK now.

Tried unhooking the battery for 5 minutes, but that didn’t seem to work.
  5. Zoef zoef

Zoef zoef Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would start with new battery. Low battery voltage can cause all kind of strange symptoms.
    BygDaddee likes this.
  6. Reaver

Oddometer:
    Stop wrecking your bike.
  7. bakercdb

bakercdb Still searching

Oddometer:
    Reaver, I know.
    Any additional thoughts on what to check? And thoughts on continuing on until I get to a dealer? (Only 19 dodgy counties to Europe, starting with Angola).

I’ve got a voltage gauge installed and voltage is rock solid.
  8. bakercdb

bakercdb Still searching

Oddometer:
    Ok, found a small shop with a GS 911.
    See codes below.
    Also, tried to run the ABS error scan and wouldn't run. Said: 1 key must be on, 2 neutral, 3 kill switch run, 4 immobilizer ( don't have) . All satisfied and still wouldn't run .

Attached Files:

9. Reaver

Oddometer:
    OK then, your ABS computer has had enough of you.

Your gauges (Kombi) and ZFE can't communicate with the ABS. That explains the lights on your dash and the speedo quitting. Inspect the rear speed sensor, wiring and tone ring. That shouldn't stop communication but it's a start. Can you turn off ABS on that year? If so, try that.
  10. Reaver

Oddometer:
    Also check the ABS wiring and plug, clean the contacts.

BMW makes the ABS system sensitive so it quits over anything for liability. However, it would still communicate the problems and be responsive to testing. Your ABS computer seems to be snoozing or dead.
  11. bakercdb

bakercdb Still searching

Oddometer:
    Reaver, the rear wheel speed sensor face is scored a little.
    I’ve been riding through sand and muddy sand, plus a little grease from the wheel bearing change got on the sensor wheel. And the sensor wheel is a little out of true and th clearance varies a little ( but doesn’t rub).

May have gotten junk in there and damaged the sensor?
    Trying to hunt down a sensor. Have one from a 2012 F800GS donor, but they changed the part number. The plug is different. I assume the sensor changed so one can’t just swap plugs?
  12. Reaver

Oddometer:
    Is the black plastic on the sensor damaged so you can see the metal inside.

Do a resistance check of both sensors. I forget the values but both should be similar. If the ring clearance varies too much then it will cause an error.

Your ABS unit isn't talking so I don't think it's necessarily the sensor. I would install the 2012 sensor and jump the wires temporarily to check before cutting plugs.
  13. bakercdb

bakercdb Still searching

Oddometer:
    Put front ABS sensor on rear.
    Checked clearance between ring and rear sensor.
    Reseated ZFE. ABS, ECU, Kombi connectors.
    No chafing found yet.

No change.

Debating whether to backtrack to a dealer or carry on. It’s a LONG way to the next one.
  14. Reaver

Oddometer:
    OK, so is the bike under warranty or more importantly, is it covered in Africa?

If you need a new ABS unit, where do you want to get stuck waiting a month?

Do you need ABS?

I understand the computers can fail however I don't get why the speedo quit. You need both speed sensors for ABS, ASC etc but the ABS computer would still communicate saying "I quit because.."

I don't have experience on the '13+ machines when everything was redesigned and all had ABS so maybe during a fault the ABS plug gets pulled, as in disabled. I don't think so.
  15. bakercdb

bakercdb Still searching

Oddometer:
    Reaver thanks.
    3 yr USA warranty becomes 2yrs if you’re out of the country (go figure), but both long gone. The ZFE was covered in Chile back when, no issues.

I’ll likely backtrack to the dealer. See if there is a quick fix. Else, make sure it is ok and I’ll live without the speedometer, ASC, an ABS that is questionable. As long as the wheels should keep turning for the next 18 countries to Europe.

Gives me time waiting for a few days to work on visas. I thought Central America borders were a pain. But, this west Africa is in a different universe of headaches, time , and $$$s......
  16. bakercdb

bakercdb Still searching

Oddometer:
    Went to BMW and hooked to their machine.
    The ABS module is not communicating. So, couldn’t try reprogramming it.
    They think either the ABS module failed (rare they said) or a wiring problem.

I’m waiting for a visa so bought a multi meter and will use the Haynes diagram to trace wiring today. If I can’t find anything, I’ll deal with it in Europe.
  17. bakercdb

bakercdb Still searching

Oddometer:
    SOLVED- no continuity between the ABS and ECU (DME) pin 11-52. Given the symptoms, that’s the first area I checked. Found it on the third wire tested.
    Spliced in a jumper wire (on the road in Africa so not able to dig through the harness).
    Went for a test ride and all working again.

However, I discovered I’m now a member of the seriously bent shock bolt club. (Wilber’s ESA shock, 160lb rider, 80lbs overland panniers and gear).

Attached Files:

uski, =o&o> and flei like this.
  18. Reaver

Oddometer:
    "That's never happened before. You're the first. Clearly you jump the bike a lot. Abuse is not covered under warranty."

BMW Quality Dept.

BMW GS.

Unstoppable.

Does that mean the ABS fails a lot?
  19. Reaver

Oddometer:
    Seriously tho, congrats on the quick fix. :clap
  20. bakercdb

bakercdb Still searching

Oddometer:
    Reaver, when I stop in tomorrow to get a new bolt- if they say ‘first I’ve seen that’ (bent bolt) I’ll likely walk over and kick the I8 setting in the showroom. Thanks for the help (again).
    flei likes this.