WARPED VII - The Ride Report(s)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Y E T I, Apr 20, 2011.

1. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    about time i see myself.......:lol3

thanks fyyp. pics make the RR.....:clap

2. Rev Kiecker

Rev Kiecker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great photo Stu!

Done :D
  3. riceless

riceless Let's Ride!

Oddometer:
    So far I'm really enjoying the RR about Matt, Chuck & Noels ride, BUT this picture really makes me the happiest. :clap:clap:clap
    GOOOO!!! JOOOOEL!!!
  4. DSM8

DSM8 Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer:
    This is a compilation of assorted shots from the last 7 years.

Just for fun.

Thanks for input from a bunch of the regulars (degenerates all of em).

<iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" width="640" height="356" src="https://api.smugmug.com/services/embed/1269430537_4MhVPFG?width=640&height=356"></iframe>
  5. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:

brent, after you sold the mighty 950 and moved to beta, you left a big orange void.......soooo someone needs to fill in.....:hide

sito and i rode together for 3 years and almost every other weekend. never saw him dropped that bike, it was cherry until you invited him to the hi dez....:muutt

:lol3
  6. RAZR

RAZR u may run the risks my friend but I do the cutting

Oddometer:
    yeah yeah YouTube uploading takes FOREVER. and i had to pick up a friend from the airport in the meantime.
    :ddog

:*sip*

here's the vid.

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cAbqrn1kKZY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

there will be more coming. one video = half a day of riding. :D
  7. Iwantabikesobad

Iwantabikesobad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great pictures,
    May'be i will make it next year
  8. joefromsf

joefromsf Dark Happens Supporter

Oddometer:
    OK, I'll try to keep 'em entertained for a bit until your vid is ready. :D

Didn't leave SF until 10:00 AM on Thursday. Luckily I had warned JStory and Itsatdm the night before that I was running late packing and to not wait for me on Thursday morning. When I'm in a hurry packing, I avoid the tough decisions and just start filling bugs and finding a place to strap them on the bike. The results:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BTW, this was my first road trip on the fairly new-to-me DR650. I had been to DV twice, but had transported it in my van on those trips.

Pull into WARPED camp at 6:30, just as the feast-o-Gerg was being served. Yummy stuff. Thanks Gerg.

I usually have ride routes planned when I show up but not this time. I had never made it up to Rancheria Rd and suggested that for Saturday, thinking it would be a fairly casual ride. I knew the gate was closed at 155, but heard the gate on Sawmill Rd was open.

Headed out with Spafixer, Ramjet and Muddydonut. I knew a fun variation to get to Sawmill; go 2/3's of the way up Old State Rd and then take 25S02 to Wagy Flat where it joins Sawmill. I had done it previously on my Weestrom but the 25S02 was in worse shape this year.

Within 50 yards there was a big tree across Rancheria. Made it around on the left by going thru some mud and brush.

Ramjet
    [​IMG]

Spafixer
    [​IMG]

Exiting the bog, back out to the road.
    [​IMG]

There was a second log that we passed by taking a short section of singletrack and another obstacle that we muscled around. Rancheria was clear after that in the downhill direction. After riding down a ways and making a wrong turn onto Poso Flat Rd, we returned back to Rancheria and had to make a decision on how to get back down off the mountain.

There was zero interest in taking Rancheria all the way down to Bakerfield and taking pavement back via 178. That left us Option 1 which would be to reverse our route and the obstacles to get back to the top of Sawmill Rd; or Option 2, take some of the 4WD roads that the map showed dropping down to 178 or 155. None of us had been on those roads but we got some info from a couple of other bikers we met. They said it was doable on our bikes (XR650, DR650, KTM950 and KTM990) if the big bike riders were up for it. They told us which roads would be the easiest, just follow the signs to Black Gulch. Being proper adventure riders we chose the challenge of riding off into the unknown and "Black Gulch". :eek1

Most of it was totally ride-able, but there were a half dozen or more steep, rutted, rocky downhills that we would not be able to reverse so we had to trust that we could get past everything in front of us. I know I didn't get any pics of the worst stuff but here a few I managed to shoot. The usual caveat, "it's really steeper that it looks in the pics" applies.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There were some steep uphills, but nothing like the downhills.
    [​IMG]

Other pics along the trail

Jim (Spafixer), Adam (Muddydonut), Ron (Ramjet)
    [​IMG]

The view
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Eventually we reached a T intersection. The other riders at the top said the right turn would be the quicker but much harder way down (Freeway Ridge) and suggested we take the left turn towards Keyesville (continuation of Black Gulch). What they didn't tell us was that the trail signs had both rated as black diamond. So far the trail we had ridden had a blue square rating. Our hearts sank a bit but we didn't have any choice but to continue. Luckily the ratings were way off and the lower section of Black Gulch was much easier than what we had just done. We celebrated with dinner at the KRB.

No pics of Saturdays ride, but did Piute Mtn Rd (from Kelso Valley) and came down upper Jawbone Rd. Rode with Gillafunk, Burnzilla and The Rider. After lunch it was just me and Gillafunk and we did some fun stuff in the western Jawbone / Dove Springs area.

I had a great weekend. Thanks Scott and all the minions for making this event happen.
  9. ramjet

ramjet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes. Despite the effort and picking my bike up about ten times, I'm glad we did that ride. I seem to recall Spafxr saying: " I don't want to head back on stuff that's too crazy" Then it got worse from there. GEEZ, Jim did you have to say that?!!

Ride leader Joe set the pace and kept everything in order. And the big 9XXs lead the way back down demonstrating the big KTM's ability and rider's skills. 2 downed trees, mud, er, uh another challenge, rutted funnels of death rocks-dang it WAS fun.

Thanks for the help guys and Joe that short arc around that one obstacle was inspiring. I think that DR is working out great for you. (and I'm thinking-magic button, magic button, magic button)
  10. rider914

rider914 Agnostic Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cool :thumb

I like the comments from the peanut gallery :lol3

Sometimes hear voices in my head while riding...

If I clean something like a pro they cheer :clap :super

If I pull a bonehead move they "Booooooooo...." :doh :ddog

:D

-M
  11. phixmup

phixmup возьми Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

No chit about over shooting that corner, member that one. Nice pics matt
  12. phixmup

phixmup возьми Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Seeing that vid just brings back GREAT memories of one of the BEST trails right here in our own backyard in kalifornia!!!!!!!

13. joefromsf

joefromsf Dark Happens Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good stuff Charles. :clap

The sound effects totally caught me off guard. I kept checking other windows to see if I had another video going, until the "boing". :lol3
  14. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    first time I heart he applause, I thought the same thing, and hit pause to see if it was this vid. :rofl
  15. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

whats bizarre is I have this exact same picture from a few years ago when we did our ride..... except I was suckered into believing it was ok for the GS

:huh

[​IMG]

was an interesting day....
  16. rider914

rider914 Agnostic Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Saturday morning and time for another ride! ...well, maybe not just yet.
    After last night... :beer :freaky
    ... my head didn't feel like it would fit in my helmet anymore :sick
    ... and I really didn't wanna hear a thumper exhaust anytime soon :hack

Todays lineup would include myself, RAZR, and kkug. It is possible we were almost the last ones out of camp. Whatever, I wasn't planning on a big ride today. Just wanted to go up Cannell Trail until we hit snow. Small chance we might make it as far as Big Meadow, but I really didn't think so. I've done this trail many times before, but first time for the other guys. I think they'll like it.

Just getting started, a little ways up from the highway
    [​IMG]

Looking good up ahead
    [​IMG]

kkug and RAZR on a steep section of short switchbacks
    [​IMG]

Waiting for the boys to catch up... I think RAZR smashed a switchpod or sumthin
    [​IMG]

Here they come now
    <IFRAME height=450 src="https://api.smugmug.com/services/embed/1264708052_6d87MNH?width=800&height=450" frameBorder=0 width=800 scrolling=no></IFRAME>

About halfway up, looking back down a Lake Isabella
    [​IMG]

Stopping for a break at ~6500' in the big pines. Still no snow!
    [​IMG]

We reach Pine Flat and the ground is saturated by snowmelt. Yep, thats the trail :huh
    [​IMG]

Started running into small snow drifts at ~7000', much larger and deeper ones by ~7400'. RAZR's approach was to blast thru them like a madman. I think his rear 130 D606 provided enough flotation and drive to keep him moving forward. My 110 Desert IT seemed to just dig in unless I carried quite a bit more speed than I was comfortable with.

RAZR demonstrates his technique on a smaller drift
    <IFRAME height=450 src="https://api.smugmug.com/services/embed/1264710652_nd2XKX9?width=800&height=450" frameBorder=0 width=800 scrolling=no></IFRAME>

Hey, that worked pretty good :thumb
    Now lets try it on a longer drift...
    <IFRAME height=450 src="https://api.smugmug.com/services/embed/1264716134_DN3wH2Q?width=800&height=450" frameBorder=0 width=800 scrolling=no></IFRAME>
    :lol3

And so the work begins
    [​IMG]

Instead, I tried picking my way around the edges, crossing the drifts where they 'looked' short and shallow.

Worked well most of time... and then I did this :p3rry
    <IFRAME height=450 src="https://api.smugmug.com/services/embed/1264709287_cVcKL3Q?width=800&height=450" frameBorder=0 width=800 scrolling=no></IFRAME>

After clearing the snow from my helmet, I shut off the bike, handed my camera to kkug, and re-enacted the landing
    [​IMG]

Bike felt like it was planted in concrete. Thanks guys for helping to dig her out :deal

We pushed on until the north end of Cannell Meadow where the road starts to climb again. GPS indicated a pass of ~7900', then another of ~8400', before dropping to Big Meadow at ~7800'. Simply not gonna make it and not really worth pushing any farther, so we decide to turn back.

kkug
    [​IMG]

RAZR
    [​IMG]

Me
    [​IMG]

Threading our way back down the side of the mountain
    [​IMG]

:clap
    [​IMG]

One of the best ~26 mile rides i've ever done. Short and sweet ::thumb

Back at camp early enough to get cleaned up and hang out a bit before :dg

Perma-nOOb Joel pretending to not see the camera
    [​IMG]

Lots of smiling faces in the food line :grin
    [​IMG]

Can you feel the warmth of WARPED?
    [​IMG]

End of day 3 :kumbaya

-M
  17. Trout

Trout Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Joel does a perfect Mr. Natural (Robert Crumb).

Wanted to thank Adv Moto Stuff for the gift certificate I won in the raffle - THANKS GUYS!

And to the organizers and everyone involved in this year's rally - thank you! GOOD TIMES!
  18. kkug

kkug Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [QUOTE there will be more coming. one video = half a day of riding. :D[/QUOTE]

Great job Razor ! Had me cracking up.:rofl
  19. kkug

kkug Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Worked well most of time... and then I did this :p3rry
    <iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" width="800" height="450" src="https://api.smugmug.com/services/embed/1264709287_cVcKL3Q?width=800&height=450"></iframe>

Nice one Matt -Great report. It took us about 10 minutes to get it out.:cry

If you would have to change a flat it would have been a good place.!
  20. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    unless it was the front :huh