Washington State Dual Sport motorcycles also need ORV Tags

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by das Rider, Jan 16, 2007.

1. bspf

bspf Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've always known that a street legal bike such as my KLR 650 could ride in orv areas legally but now that a Discover Pass is required in certain areas, and since little or no money from the Discover Pass is used for orv purposes I'm inclined to get an orv registration for the KLR instead of using the Discover Pass. My Discover Pass stays in my truck for when I ride my KTM at orv areas and when I take the KLR out I won't have to remember to go to the truck and grab the Discover Pass.
  2. HH

HH Dahlonega GA Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you take your klr into an orv area you must have a discover pass even if you dual register. I have had this discussion with dnr several times.
  3. couver

couver Danger to Myself

Oddometer:
    ^^That's what the Ranger told me... if I rode the bike there, then I needed a Discover Pass.
  4. shrubitup

shrubitup Uncouth Sloth

Oddometer:
    In this upside down universe known as WA it finally makes sense to have ORV only on your bike. Love to fund me some trails vs. some unfunded state parks that I don't use. :norton
  5. tod701

tod701 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Only if where you are riding requires you to be street legal.

They do not understand the law and most likely are merely doing what Goldmark tells them to do.
  6. Bill-66

Bill-66 The End of the Republic is upon us... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just got plates for my converted 2 Stroke today...they got me for street plates as well as ORV registration..

:dunno..
  7. super samurai

super samurai Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's the catch with changing a dirt bike to dual sport is that they require you to have both.
    In that case you do not need a disco very pass.
    When riding on DNR land you need a did o pass only if it is able to DRI e on roads legally,
    If you have ORV tags no need for disco pass.
    You still need one for the truck parked that carried the bike there.
    I have been through all of this with my rock crawler rigs, I know ray Minish out at tahuya personally as well as nancy at elbe hills orv.
  8. tod701

tod701 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The rule of thumb at D-pass areas is as follows:

If you need a street plate to ride or be where you are at, then you must also have a D-pass.

That was the intent when Senate staff member Sherry McNamara and I drafted the language that was eventually codified as RCW79A.08.010(6) at the request of Senator Swecker back in February 2011

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=79A.80.010
  9. super samurai

super samurai Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    True, unless you have dual registration, which you can do to any vehicle.
    So if you have tabs and have plates no pass needed.
  10. tod701

tod701 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Only if you are not required to be street legal to drive/ride the road you are on.
  11. bigzack

bigzack 6'6" of awesome

Oddometer:
    I don't quite understand. If I have a factory plated dual sport, with ORV tags, and I ride it to and from the ORV area, do I still need a Disco Pass? It seems that the goal is to make this so confusing people say screw it and buy all three just to be covered for sure, which is the point I am at.
    Z
  12. HH

HH Dahlonega GA Supporter

Oddometer:
    Depends on the LEO
    I have been stopped several times inside the orv area with a dual registered bike. Every time i have been asked for my disco pass. I was told if it has a plate it needs a pass, no exeptions. Of course i hold out to the last micro second when he pulled out his ticket book to show my pass :deal
  13. RWBWheel

RWBWheel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Both are needed and it sucks..
    I was ' pulled over' by the ranger at Walker Valley 2 Mo.ago riding a plated Yamaha Big-Wheel with NO ORV tags.
    He told me I needed ORV tags..
    I told him I had a plate and that is all the jeep guys have that drove there and use the same trails.....(turns out most have tags after i started looking)
    He then asked where my discover pass was on the vehicle
    ( that did p-me off a bit..on a trailbike??) WTF??
    I told him it is posted on my vehicle and trailer in the lot.
    He said I must have Either ORV tags to go with the plated bike...
    -or-
    Or a plated bike and a discover pass on your person to produce if asked...
    (and since they now allow 2 plate numbers on a discover pass I asked if I could use 1 pass spot for the vehicle at the trailhead with trailer or bumperack and the other spot on same pass for the bike on trail..he said NO...you need to buy 2 discover passes for 1 person to drive to the woods and use 2 different vehicles in that situation.
    Luckily i had tags at home from another machine i haven't used yet and slapped them on..I have seen him a couple times since and he hasn't said a word.
    As with almost everything run by this state I find it a joke.
  14. tod701

tod701 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not at Walker Valley.
    You can access via Peter Burns Road where a plate is required, but no D-pass required outside of the DNR managed ORV area.
    Once you enter the ORV area, no plate is required if you have a valid ORV permit and persuant to RCW79A.80 if a plate is not required then neither is a D-pass.
    The key to this is the definition of motor vehicle as it applies to this section of the law. See RCW79A.80.010(6).

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=79A.80.010

He is wrong and ignorant of Washington State law.
    If you have valid street plates, then you do not need an ORV permit to use an ORV area. That is codified in RCW46.09.420(6).

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.09.420

That is correct.

See RCW79A.80.020(5)

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=79A.80.020

Might get expensive if caught.
  15. Advental

Advental Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just purchased 2 discovery passes. Since one pass allows two vehicles, one pass will have my SUV and another pass will have my car and WR250R. This way, I can tow my WR250R with SUV and have two valid passes.

ORV tab will be bought when the law changes and it requires me to have one.
  16. Jackazz

Jackazz Been here awhile

Oddometer:

:clapYou fund state parks while I help fund the areas you like to ride with my ORV tabs.

Your welcome....:norton
  17. tod701

tod701 Long timer

Oddometer:
    A total of $4.80 goes to the DNR and zero of that must be spent to facilitate ORV recreation. :deal

All of that money must go to facilitate ORV recreation. :deal
  18. Lazzerus

Lazzerus n00b

Oddometer:
    You need a Disco Pass here too even if I had the bike hauled there. Only saw two people there today and one was a Ranger. We were talking about it and even he said it is very confusing.

He said even if I did not drive my DRZ 400S to the riding area, I still needed the pass. He said most people just put it in their backpack. If you get off the bike to go hiking, you can leave a copy with your bike.

I asked what if I was not plated or took them off. He said they still run the vin numbers, and if you are supposed to have plates, they will site you.

I told him I even called a few of the bike shops before we headed that way and they all said if you have tabs, you do not need a pass.

So confusing!

Great day riding though! Until I fell over and crushed the corner of my radiator...
  19. tod701

tod701 Long timer

Oddometer:
    "supposed to have plates"???
    If you are not riding where plates are required, isn't that up to you?

No law required me to get plates for my bike.

I wish that they would cite me.
    The courts have ruled that the DNR is wrong.

The law says that if you are not required to be registered for street use then you are not required to have a d-pass.

You are not required to be registered for street use to ride at Capital Forest.
  20. Lazzerus

Lazzerus n00b

Oddometer:
    I would think it was up to you.

He said people do that to try and get away with not getting the pass.

I just shook my head. I mean he was nice and all, but it just makes no sense.

Just notice your comment about Cap Forest. Yeah that is why I asked him. I joking said, Ok, what if I come in here with no plates and blinkers? That is when he stated it does not matter, as they would run the number and site the person.