Washington State Dual Sport motorcycles also need ORV Tags

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by das Rider, Jan 16, 2007.

1. super samurai

super samurai Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    O.k. here is how it goes!

Dual sport bike with licence plates needs a disco pass
    Unless he has dual registered the bike with regular licence plates and ORV tabs also

If not dual registered but have a licence plate then you NEED a disco pass.

If you trailered your dual sport plated enduro or trucked it there you still need a disco for the truck parked and one for the bike too unless dual registered then the bike does not need a disco pass.

Basically ORV sticker ovrides the disco pass, so if no ORV sticker on your bike vehicle whatever then you need a disco pass for every vehicle with a licence plate.
    Any officer giving you a ticket for no disco pass when you had ORV tabs is wrong!

I am person all friends with our local mason county tahuya ORV DNR guy ray Minish.
    I have two offroad only rock crawlers and a slew of quads and dirt bikes that I ride at tahuya and have asked all these questions.

If it has plates in needs a disco pass unless it has ORV tabs. Orv tabs override the disco pass.
  2. tod701

tod701 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very close.

If you must be street legal to drive/ride where you are at and that is a location where a D-pass is required, then the D-pass is still required regardless of whether or not you have an ORV permit.

Discover Passes are not required on county roads even if they are within DNR managed public land. Many ORV trailheads are accessed by county roads so if that is the case, then no D-pass is required.
    Trinity_Session likes this.
  3. super samurai

Oddometer:
  4. tod701

tod701 Long timer

Oddometer:
  5. super samurai

Oddometer:
    Because having an ORV tag exepmts you from a disco pass at ORV area!

That's exactly what I am saying
    If you dual register my jeep with tab plated licence plates and an ORV decal plate I no longer need a disco pass for that vehicle.

I understand my ORV tabbed non street plated rock buggy does not need a disco pass but that's because my ORV sticker covers that.

I can dual register my dual sport honda and don't need a disco pass for it.
  6. PeteN95

PeteN95 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tod, thanks for your efforts, but can you give examples of places a dual registered vehicle would need a D pass?
  7. tod701

tod701 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anywhere within a D-pass area where you need to be street legal.

Examples:

State Park roads.

WDFW roads if you are required to be street legal to use them.

DNR roads if you are required to be street legal to use them.
  8. super samurai

Oddometer:
    O.k. I think I see where are differences are.
    At tahuya on the ORV trails if I have dual reg. Rig then I don't need a disco pass.

But if I am in/on a non ORV area but still on state land then I need a disco pass because the ORV tabs mean nothing in a non ORV area.

So at a state park let's say even if I had a dual registered dual sport I would still need a disco pass because ORV tags there mean nothing because it in a non ORV area.

Now if I was riding my dual sport that is dual registered on the tahuya ORV area trails I would not need a disco pass.
  9. dr350maniac

dr350maniac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The above needs further clarification (as to what is meant by the phrase "any recreation site or lands"). It's referring to state lands, which is explained here:

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/supdefault.aspx?cite=79A.80.005

RCW 79A.80.005

RCW 79A.80.005
    Findings -- Intent -- 2011 c 320.
    (1) The legislature finds that there is an increasing demand for outdoor recreation opportunities and conservation measures on lands managed by the department of fish and wildlife, the department of natural resources, and the parks and recreation commission. Development and maintenance of outdoor recreation facilities and conservation of lands have not kept pace with this demand. This demand, combined with shrinking resources for management, has led to the degradation of our lands to the detriment of the recreating public and efforts to conserve our natural resources.

(2) The legislature further finds that the recreating public cannot readily discern which agency of the state is responsible for the management of particular state lands or which policies apply to those lands.

I ride a variety of my bikes (which are all plated) all over various trail systems at Naches, Lake Wenatchee, Chelan, and since it's all USFS land, there's never a need for a Discover pass.
  10. super samurai

Oddometer:
    Disco pass is on applicatable on state owned land, not national forest or national park land.
    National land has its own passes you would need but only for trail heads or entry of a park where they charge to get in, which a disco pass means nutton.
    I ride and 4 wheel natches each year and all I need there is a park pass.
  11. tod701

tod701 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :clap
  12. tod701

tod701 Long timer

Oddometer:

Thanks

I guess that I am so emersed in the subject that I assumed that everyone knew that the State law only applied to State managed public lands.
  13. shrubitup

shrubitup Uncouth Sloth

Oddometer:
    Thankfully this is the case still. :thumbup
  14. super samurai

Oddometer:
    i was imersed in orv only areas not thinking of non orv areas

you just didnt make it clear enough to me that that was all i was concentrating on!

argue on with out me:clap
  15. thelastfoiter

thelastfoiter I like the gear as much as the motorcycles...

Oddometer:
    Hate to dig up such an old thread but this is the most recent and relevant thread I can find between here and thumpertalk. I have a factory plated dual sport (ATK 605) and I'm looking to get some dirt practice at Walker Valley ORV. Do I need an ORV tab or just a Discover Path, or both?

Latest info I'm seeing is RCW 46.09.420 saying I never need an ORV tag but I may need a DP depending on where I'm riding?? Walker Valleys website says "off road tabs required on all vehicles"
  16. BobcatSig

BobcatSig Fresh Off The Couch Racing

Oddometer:
    I can't answer your question. If I were in your shoes, I'd buy the ORV tag regardless. The reason being that it's a fail-safe and I'm one to support the programs that keep our riding areas open. The same goes for the Discovery Pass. I usually pick up one annually when I renew one of my many cars or motorcycles.
    thelastfoiter likes this.
  17. Ride365

Ride365 #DirtLivesMatter

Oddometer:
    Ya, you need the OHV tabs to ride OHV trails.
    Technically, you don't need the Discover Pass in an OHV area if you have the OHV tabs, but that bit of detail can sometimes be overlooked by law enforcement & you may find yourself fighting a ticket.
    BobcatSig likes this.
  18. tod701

tod701 Long timer

Oddometer:
    FYI
    It is ORV not OHV in Washington State and the ORV permit is not required to ride ORV trails if you have a street plate.
    See RCW46.09.420(6).
    https://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.09.420

Totally agree on the Discover Pass.
    That said, it is a ticket you can beat, been there, done that and I will share my notes with anyone going to court.
  19. Ride365

Ride365 #DirtLivesMatter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the correction, seriously.

WOW - Then why even have dual-registered motorcycles if one registration is enough to get me on the road and the ORV trails?
    I've been paying extra all this time on 3 bikes because the DOL said I needed to.

But, I guess if I want to ride the OHV trails in Oregon, I'd still need the off-road tags...?
  20. BaddAndy

BaddAndy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    But they're only $10 for 2 years.
    BobcatSig likes this.