Washington State Dual Sport motorcycles also need ORV Tags

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by das Rider, Jan 16, 2007.

1. dhally

dhally Hammerhead Supporter

Oddometer:
    I live in WA and always get OR Ohv stickers. They are cheaper, more of the $ goes to trails, and I assume would prevent getting ticketed in WA as well.
    BobcatSig likes this.
  2. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD! Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's quite an assumption, hopefully you never have to verify it.
  3. FoxScrambles

FoxScrambles Adventurer

Oddometer:
    FWIW....
    I've personally never have gotten an ORV sticker for any plated motorbike. I have never been questioned by "the man" about not having one either. I have my WA state parks " Disabled Veterans Lifetime Pass" which does everything a disco pass does. If anyone doesn't know they can go online and apply for this state pass and it's free(don't remember the process). Also for federal lands there is a military pass that is free, you can get at any of the main NPS offices or entry check points at national parks(bring proof of eligibility).

License plate and a combo of these two passes are all I've ever needed on WA state lands or Department of the Interior lands
  4. Ride365

Ride365 #DirtLivesMatter

Oddometer:
    In WA, my last one was $31.25 & only good for 12 months, bringing my plated XR650R registration to $99.50 for one year.

So it sounds like I'd be covered for both states if I went with the $10 Oregon OHV tabs and street plate for WA
    BobcatSig and Apple Jam like this.
  5. layzrider

layzrider Layzrider

Oddometer:
    Well yes and no you're covered for most of it but not for the State Forest in Washington you still need a sticker I believe. Your plated bike does cover you for national Forest trails. Correct somebody if I'm wrong
  6. cbrxxcess

cbrxxcess Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The only thing you need for wa state orv for a factory street legal duel sport is a discovery pass. If you have a converted non street legal duel sport then you need all three, plate,OHV plate, and Discovery pass. If your on a Dirt only machine you only need the OHV Plate.
  7. tod701

tod701 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not true.
    Regardless of whether or not you have a street plate, if you have an ORV permit and ORV use is legal where you are at , then the Discover Pass is not required.

Per RCW79A.80.020(1), Discover passes are only required for motor vehicles:

(1) A discover pass is required for any motor vehicle to park or operate on any recreation site or lands, except for short-term parking as may be authorized under RCW79A.80.070.

Link:
    http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/supdefault.aspx?cite=79A.80.020

For the purpose of section RCW79A.80, a “motor vehicle” is defined in RCW79A.80.010(6):

(6) "Motor vehicle" has the same meaning as defined in RCW 46.04.320 and which are required to be registered under chapter 46.16A RCW. "Motor vehicle" does not include those motor vehicles exempt from registration under RCW46.16A.080 and state and publicly owned motor vehicles as provided in RCW 46.16A.170.

Link:
    http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/supdefault.aspx?cite=79A.80.010

If the vehicle registration includes an ORV permit and the vehicle is at an ORV area, you are not required to be registered pursuant to RCW46.16A so you are not considered a motor vehicle for the purposes of RCW79A.80.
    shrubitup and One Fat Roach like this.
  8. tod701

tod701 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you're a WA resident and use an OR permit in WA to avoid buying a WA permit, the state has the option to throw you in jail for up to a year.

See RCW46.16A.030(6)

https://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.16A.030

That goes away in October, when WA stops honoring OR permits.

See 2021 House Bill HB1322

http://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/2021-22/Pdf/Bills/Session Laws/House/1322-S.SL.pdf
  9. tod701

tod701 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Plated bikes are not required to have an ORV permit anywhere in the State of Washington.

See RCW46.09.420(6).

https://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.09.420
    shrubitup likes this.
  10. tod701

tod701 Long timer

Oddometer:
    How much more?

Other than the sucky administrative cut of the action, all of Washington State ORV permit revenue must be used for ORV purposes.
    See RCW46.68.045(2)
    https://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.68.045
    shrubitup likes this.
  11. cbrxxcess

Oddometer:
    While your interpretation maybe the correct one I assure you the people with the ticket book do not share your interpretation of said law. Had I not had one while riding 9 mile ORV or on DNR would have given me a ticket. Feel free to check my work. 360-902-8844 State Parks. Unfortunately the pass is cheaper than the fight. Good luck with your travels.
  12. tod701

tod701 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I worked directly with Senate Committee staff crafting the enabling language codified by 2011 Senate Bill SB5622.

Some people working at State Parks and the DNR have it wrong.
    While complying with the illegal pass requirement is cheaper than going to court, I prefer the latter.
    Every case I have been involved with the DNR loses.

Additionally, there is no requirement for the State to spend a penny of Discover Pass money on motorized recreation and after ten years they have been able to provide proof otherwise. At least the ORV permit money supports our sport.
    shrubitup, Watercat and One Fat Roach like this.
  13. lamotovita

Oddometer:
    I don't know of a "9 mile ORV". Are you maybe confusing it with 7 Mile Orv area which is part of Riverside state Park?
    Did you haul an ORV there? If so did you have a Discover pass for your haul vehicle or your ORV, or both?
  14. cbrxxcess

Oddometer:
    Yes 7 mile it is and it’s a street legal OHV. Made to the Law that Tod lobbied for. All of the agencies I have talked to consider this a vehicle pass. When it has a street legal plate the agency, State Parks, DNR, WDFW all consider it to need a discovery pass. So far I have been stopped by both DNR and State Parks. When you read exemptions it does not specifically call out a street legalized OHV that must carry both the License Plate and an OHV tag. While I believe tod701 is correct following that will get you a $99 ticket. I am not too sure the judge will see it the other way. So I buy the pass.
  15. cbrxxcess

Oddometer:
    In my case it is not some, but all including those in Olympia and local.
  16. lamotovita

Oddometer:
    I think in your case the Discover Pass is functioning as your entrance fee into the state park. It's not widely addressed since there are so few state parks with ORV access in WA, and in your shoes I too would simply buy the pass. If you were riding on DNR or Wildlife Dept lands, or the Liberty Lake ORV area, you would not need a Disco Pass. I think it's just a state park thing.
  17. tod701

tod701 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It sucks that they are all wrong and when they lose in court it does not sink it.
    The directive comes from the top and we need to get at least one person replaced.
    cbrxxcess likes this.