Washington's Colockum Pass

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by GSHighlander, Dec 1, 2006.

1. GSHighlander

GSHighlander Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    Has anyone every attempted the ride between Ellensburg and Wenatchee over Colockum Pass? A buddy of mine that lives in Wenatchee said that the old Stagecoach Road is passable in the summertime and that the scenery back in there is amazing. It seems like a natural ADV ride to me.

If anyone has made the ride or knows anything about it, I'd greatly appreciate some feedback. I'd consider getting a group together next summer for the ride, if it's in passable condition.

Thanks!
  2. pckopp

pckopp Aged Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've ridden it twice. I know lots of folks in these parts have done it. It's a fun route but I'm not sure I'd say the scenery was 'spectacular'. I seem to recall the north end of the unpaved section is rocky and a bit steep. I did it on a KLR with no problem.
  3. GSHighlander

GSHighlander Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    Hey pckopp, thanks for responding.

Could you elaborate on your experience a little bit more?
  4. pckopp

pckopp Aged Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I haven't ridden it for awhile so my memory isn't the best. I rode it the first time on one of CycoActive's GPS rides.

My first time was north to south. I remember that soon after the pavement ended, it was fairly steep and rocky for the first bit. I was pretty new to offroading at the time, so I was more apprehensive than I would be today. It was steep, but not particularly tricky in any way. I remember that a couple of folks on GS's had some trouble, but I don't remember hearing why or what the trouble was specifically. I just kept the power on and rode up the hill.

The top section was in the woods. I remember it as easy two-track. I stopped at the top for a break and a couple of guys in a jeep came by. We waved and said 'Hi' and they continued on. They were going north.

Coming down to Ellensburg was easy. A couple of easy switchbacks and it was over. I remember there was a view of the valley a couple of places, but I didn't stop. I think the non-paved part is only about 10-15 miles or so. Not long or hard.

The second time I rode it was going north and I was in a group of 3 or 4 and we motored through there briskly. We ended up that night at Winthrop, so I'm sure it was in the morning and I'm pretty sure it was August.

I think there are some other routes in that area that take you farther east above the river and I would assume they are more scenic in addition to being a bit more technical to ride. Single track probably. I need to find someone who has been there for a GPS route or to show me the way.

HTH
  5. das Rider

das Rider Professional Hobbyist

Oddometer:
    Here is the most direct, not necessarily the most scenic route:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    From Ellensburg on I-90 take the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:Street><st1:address>Cascade Highway</st1:address></st1:Street> exit.<o:p></o:p>
    North on <st1:Street><st1:address>Cascade Highway</st1:address></st1:Street>.<o:p></o:p>
    North on <st1:Street><st1:address>Reeser Creek Rd.</st1:address></st1:Street><o:p></o:p>
    East on <st1:Street><st1:address>West Bender Rd.</st1:address></st1:Street><o:p></o:p>
    West Bender turns into <st1:Street><st1:address>Sanders Rd</st1:address></st1:Street>, still riding East.<o:p></o:p>
    North on <st1:Street><st1:address>Look Rd.</st1:address></st1:Street><o:p></o:p>
    East on <st1:Street><st1:address>Brick Mill Road</st1:address></st1:Street>.<o:p></o:p>
    North on <st1:Street><st1:address>Colockum Road</st1:address></st1:Street>. This takes you over <st1:place><st1:placeName>Colockum </st1:placeName><st1:placeType>Pass</st1:placeType></st1:place> 5371' and into <st1:City><st1:place>Malaga</st1:place></st1:City>, WA just outside <st1:City><st1:place>Wenatchee</st1:place></st1:City>.<o:p></o:p>
    <st1:Street><st1:address>Colockum Road</st1:address></st1:Street> turns into the <st1:Street><st1:address>Malaga-Alcoa Highway</st1:address></st1:Street>.<o:p></o:p>
    <st1:Street><st1:address>Malaga-Alcoa Highway</st1:address></st1:Street> takes you into <st1:City><st1:place>Wenatchee</st1:place></st1:City>.<o:p></o:p>
    The distance is 53.5 miles.<o:p></o:p>
    I'm guessing more scenic riding is to the west of <st1:place><st1:placeName>Colockum </st1:placeName><st1:placeType>Pass</st1:placeType></st1:place> in the <st1:place><st1:placeName>Table </st1:placeName><st1:placeType>Mountain</st1:placeType></st1:place> area. I've not ridden this route, but I have been on <st1:place><st1:placeName>Table </st1:placeName><st1:placeType>Mountain</st1:placeType></st1:place>.<o:p></o:p>
    The best map for this ride is the Washington State Public Lands Quadrangle "<st1:City><st1:place>Wenatchee</st1:place></st1:City>" 1:100,000 scale. It covers Ellensburg to <st1:City><st1:place>Wenatchee</st1:place></st1:City>.<o:p></o:p>
    These maps can be purchased here: <o:p></o:p>
    https://fortress.wa.gov/prt/printwa/wsprt/default.asp
  6. Bo Pop Pop

Bo Pop Pop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yo GSH -

I've not been all the way over,only to Lion Rock & Haney Meadows, but like PCK said, lots of riders ride that route after the snow melts. Check out the local link below and ask there, I'm sure you'll get many responses, complete with GPS coord's I predict. Look forward to seeing y'all at a local meet 'n greet or ride sometime.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/northwestavriders :deal

Pat
  7. debueller

debueller Has a thing 4Fungirl

Oddometer:
    Here is a photo from last Memorial day weekend (late May) on my Buell Ulyssess:

clocum pass.jpg

I was trying to go from Ellensburg to Wenatchee, but I was stoped by snow.

Probabally could have made it on a smaller bike with knobbies. I was alone also. I have a lot less nerve when I'm by myself.

Photo is facing north towards Wenatchee. I really need to do the ride sometime. Anyone with plans this summer, let me know.
  8. mcnut

mcnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’ve done many early season rides in the area. The area is semi-arid so the open areas are usaly snow free in April but the pine forest in the middle holds the snow longer and isn’t snow free till May. The most scenic routes are the eastern loops toward the river but these can be very rough and rocky, not good for a big DS. The flowers can be pretty intense late May to early June. They are building a wind turbine farm just north of Whisky Dick Mt and I’m not sure how that will impact access to that section. The <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place><st1:placeName>Colockum</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType>Pass</st1:placeType></st1:place> road at each end is a little rocky and rough but should be no problem on the GS, but you may feel like you just got off a paint shaker when done. The middle is fine once the snow and mud goes away. I usually access the southern end from <st1:Street><st1:address>Fox Rd</st1:address></st1:Street> off the <st1:Street><st1:address>Old Vantage Hwy east</st1:address></st1:Street> out of Kittitas. As a route Colockum is the most direct but other roads in the area offer a better riding experience and are worth checking out.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Bruce
  9. mcnut

mcnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    While a good option for a loop, the Reccer-Lion-Rock Haney Meadow route is not the same as <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place><st1:placeName>Colockum </st1:placeName><st1:placeType>Pass</st1:placeType></st1:place> and can be blocked by snow well into June. Regarding the photo posted by bueller, remember that last year we had a very deep snowpac and cool spring. All the high country was late opening.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Bruce<o:p></o:p>
  10. robdogg

robdogg turnip truck driver

Oddometer:
    I rode the pass a few weeks ago.. the weekend of November 4th... and I've done a few other rides on the green dot roads and I love it over there. The Collockum Pass road is a piece of cake.. heck, we saw a 30ft motorhome on it. But some of the other roads leading down to the river are extremely rocky... there are some places where you will ride for miles on rock; and not just rocks, but on rough, solid rock.. We did a 130 mile loop from Vantage last May that was one of my favorite rides of the past few years... I plan to do a camp and ride over there next summer... probably include some of the area down around LT Murry and the Manastash areas as well

also, you can get some great maps of the area from the DNR office in Ellensburg..... I have the address somewhere at home and can dig it up if you want it.. and they're free too
  11. mcnut

mcnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here’s a track log I made <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:date Month="6" Day="3" Year="2000">6/3/2000</st1:date> in the area, a little of which includes <st1:Street><st1:address>Colockum Pass Rd.</st1:address></st1:Street> I don’t remember this exact ride so it doesn’t come with any warranty, use at your own risk! :bash Some portions may be “Outlaw”.:gun1

Bruce

P.S. This is my first try to attach a file. Hope it works.:rayof

12. viclava

viclava Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had to laugh at the amount of responses from non locals. I really didn't realize how many people like riding over here in Chelan County. It's a trail that's pretty rough on tires, not to mention your body when you go down(large jagged rocks). I use to be ORV deputy for our county and have ridden all the county for 4 years. Now 2 other guys patrol ORV abd they don't ride much. It's one of my favorite rides, but seems like I got the most flat tires on that route. If I can be of any assistance reference trail rides in Chelan County let me know.

Scott:wink:
  13. mcnut

mcnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    Scott, I’ll certainly defer to your knowledge, :norton it’s just you were a little slow posting and others beat you to the punch! Beautiful area with several loop options. :ricky It just flat-out rains to much on this side especially during early spring. I’ll shutup now. :ear

Bruce

PS: Sent you a PM.
  14. Dawg_enD

Dawg_enD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One guy above mentioned a motorhom on it....

Drive that road during elk season and you'll lose count of the motorhomes and 5th wheels you'll see up there. Lots of folks hunt that area.

What's really a hoot is watching those same motorhomes come down the pass after it's snowed 4-6". :evil
  15. GSHighlander

GSHighlander Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    I'm totally up for a ride this summer! July and August are better months for me work-wise. I think I'd like to start on the Ellensburg side and venture north toward Wenatchee with an overnight in Winthrop.

If you think you might be up for moto-camping a couple nights followed by a stay at the Duck Brand in Winthrop, then why don't we start a list and I'll keep track of the interested parties?

Sound good? :thumb
  16. debueller

debueller Has a thing 4Fungirl

Oddometer:
    Puy me on that list as long as we're talking big trallies.

My XR650L is not well suited for multiple day rides.
  17. GODSPEED

GODSPEED finger lickin' good

Oddometer:
    I rode from north to south in june. I thought it was scenic but, I didn't enjoy the rocky parts on my Gran Canyon. I want to go back and explore the area.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. GSHighlander

GSHighlander Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    I'm anticipating one night camping in the Colockum area (midway point or somewhere scenic) and then one night in Winthrop with a bed and hot shower. It's shouldn't be too strenuous at all...
  19. Ratty2austin

Ratty2austin commutercycle

Oddometer:
    this ride sounds good to me too :evil Im in :wink:
  20. Salt Lick

Salt Lick Weissbiermann

Oddometer:
    I did it on my RT a few years ago. Few trucks who all stopped by to ask me if I was lost and/or needed some help. :D