Watching your significant other crash

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by Ride2ADV, Sep 21, 2009.

1. debueller

debueller Has a thing 4Fungirl

Oddometer:
    Ya' gotta love those girls that ride....:clap
  2. Dave Noel

Dave Noel Giv'er

Oddometer:
    Good to hear Kim is ok Mike. She is a trooper that's for sure. Give her my best and hope she jumps right back on the bike.
  3. Judotrip

Judotrip Torqued to the Max!!

Oddometer:
    My Ex S/O crashed my ol xs 650 in a church parking lot. I was yelling Clutch!!, Break!!, Clutch!!! as she proceeded to crash into a pile of brush that Jesus himself put there. She and the bike were ok, but it is a double sided sword. I ran to turn the bike off, so I after that point was more concerned about the bike then her...Go figure!!!
  4. four-up

four-up Distracted

Oddometer:
    This thread is, of course, the BIG worry for those of us that have introduced our SO's to riding. After touring two-up for many years, my wife decided she'd like to have her own ride. She'd had her own dirt bike for years for trail riding, but, despite her fears of the road, wanted to get the same buzz we all get with our hands on the bars.

Her first street bike was a 99 F650, lowered, which she promptly dropped in a gravel parking lot trying to leave a concert. We're an AGATT family, but she still got some bruises and the weight of the bike going over freaked her out. So the F got sold and we picked up a Super Sherpa, which she loved. She never went down on the street, but managed to wash out the front on a dirt road doing about 30 on a trip to southern Utah. I was in front and was looking at her in the mirror when she dissappeared in a cloud of dust. I stopped my big, baggage-covered GS, and managed to pull it onto the center stand (shows what adrenaline will do!) on the soft road. I had no idea I could run so fast in full riding gear. She was pretty shook up and jammed her wrist on impact. The leg of her riding pants had melted pretty good from the pipe, and she was covered in dust from head to toe, but otherwise fine. We were 40 miles from Escalante and 40 miles from Kanab and she was ready to walk out! But after a half hour she got back on the bike and rode on.

She's now on a lowered F650GS, which as also seen its share of tipovers. We do 2 or 3 trips a year, and it's really hard for me to just let go and enjoy the ride because I'm always worried she won't be coming around the bend behind me. We talk about it a lot, and she's great about riding her ride, but I still can't let go of the worry. Whenever we ride I feel like I'm doing everything I can to clear the road ahead and looking for every possible threat.
  5. WoodsChick

WoodsChick Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can see how it would be pretty hairy for the folks that were somehow responsible for their S/O wanting to ride. For that very reason I've never tried to talk anyone into getting a bike. I figure that's a decision they need to make on their own. My husband and I were both experienced riders when we met, my husband a roadracer and me a dirtbike rider and everyday commuter. I taught him how to ride dirtbikes and when he retired from racing we rode together all the time. He did a little riding on the street before and after racing, mostly twisties for fun but never duking it out on a commute over the Bay Bridge like I'd been doing for years.

So, fast forward 20 years or so...gas is getting expensive, we've been doing really long dualsport rides on our plated dirtbikes (a 450 and a 426) we decide we want bigger motors for dualsporting and so he decides he wants to start commuting. Right off the bat I'm thinking "no, that's not a good idea; it's dangerous out there." He kinda laughs and starts in on the "I was winning races before you got a M1 license, blah blah blah" I tried to justify my feelings by telling him racing on a track in a controlled environment is way different than surviving the meat grinder ever day, different skillsets, etc. Well, long story short he started commuting every day and it was the worst feeling in the world for me. I made him call me when he got to work in the morning (I do the same for him) and if he was late coming home I'd have to work really hard to stem the rising tide of panic. It was hard for me, but he was having a great time riding every day and it was great to know he was experiencing the same joy every day that I'd been enjoying for years. I dunno...it's fun to be on a bike every day.

Anyway, before he started commuting I never stopped to think of how he felt about me commuting every day. I was doing it when I met him and I guess it was just never an issue. We talked about it, though, and it turns out he's been enduring the same dread and fears every day, too, he just never said anything about it. Regardless of how we feel, we would never want the other to go without that which makes our lives worth living. We've both accepted the risks that come with riding every day, and we do everything in our power to make it as safe as possible, but in our heart of hearts we both dread seeing the other get hurt.

WoodsChick
    redneckK20 likes this.
  6. Ride2ADV

Ride2ADV World Shrinkers Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    If we haven't been there, it's on the list.
    Not very dramatic, but here are a couple of pics from the get off that started this thread. Not quite as dramatic as WoodsChick's river bed pile driver in progress. :eek1

Nonetheless, it got my attention. Note the front brake lock up mark on the pavement transitioning from the gravel while turning....

[​IMG]

And the dejected "How the heck did I do that?" afterward...

[​IMG]

Lesson learned, but learned and put to good use.
  7. idea man

idea man Plate Spinner

Oddometer:
    Different experience same emotions. Idea Wife saw what fun I was having (and what adventure, more or less) to the MSF course and was riding my 1150 GS around the countyside locally. She was having a ball and the bike, while big was not too big for her (5'9" and built proportionately) Christmas Eve, 2007. Idea Wife went out for a little recreational ride on some local backroads, all paved. 4 hours later I got a call from the hospital telling me my wife had just been airlifted to the hospital and could I come and visit. :huh Two little boys in tow, we loaded up the van and drove to the hospital. "Where we going dad?" "Why is mommy in the hospital?" ...and then being little boys they started fighting with each other. :thumb Talk about short attention spans. :lol3 All the while I'm wondering how much of idea wife is left. Airlifted. Sheesh, that is pretty bad, right?
    When we got there I went in alone, braced for the worst, and I saw a bloody faced, dirty, beautiful, idea wife sitting up in the bed apparently doing just fine....mostly. Big concussion, broken clavical and some road rash (even in ATTGATT) but from the looks of her helmet, that was the star. Based on the scratch patterns on there she had landed on her head and apparently bounced several times. She came to on the side of the road with a good samaritan asking her if she knew what day it was or how she got there.

While I didn't witness the crash, I spent a very long 20 minutes driving to the hospital with two curious little boys, not knowing how I was going to explain this one to them.
    She's back on the bike, albeit a smaller one
    [​IMG]
    but every day, if she is running a little late.....
    It's all part of the drill, but it still isn't easy.
    Thanks to all for sharing their experiences. Nice community we have here.:thumb
  8. Dave Noel

Dave Noel Giv'er

Oddometer:
    And of course you got photos to prove it like a good husband would.
    WoodsChick likes this.
  9. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    This picture breaks my heart! Poor thing.
  10. fshnrob

fshnrob BRP Rider

Oddometer:
    We went for a ride last night over in the big pasture, it was a little muddy, and the ponds are full.:evil A section of the trail goes through a normally dried up section of the second pond, but now has some water in it. It wasn't a big deal at first but over time my Terraflex created a deep rut. I would just pop the throttle and carry the front tire over it and keep going, this kept making it deeper, but wasn't bothering me. Well my wife had been going through it also and was just hitting it normal because she hasn't figured out how to get the front wheel up yet. This went on for probably 20 times and she was only getting wet. Well I had just gone through and was coming back around and was watching her go through when I saw her hit the rut off center:eek1 . Her front tire went one way and she went the other. All I saw was a wall of water and she was going down into the pond head first:huh . I thought the worst and figured the bike had gone into the pond also. I hauled ass around some trees to check on her and found her laying in a couple inches of water and the bike on its side in less than an inch of water.:lol3 :lol3 She got up and shut off the bike and was starting to pick it up by the time I got off of mine and went to help her. I was LMAO and so was she. She was wet on her right side from head to toe, covered with mud and had water in her boots. I took her bike from her and got it restarted and made her move it out of the puddle. I couldn't stop laughing! She got moved back around the other side of the hole and parked her bike so she could drain the water out of her boots, all three of our boys were laughing at her at this time, so I got back on my bike and went through the mud puddle again while she was standing a couple feet behind it and roosted her some more:wink: . I almost lost it cuz I was laughing so hard when I looked back all I got was a muddy finger.

She ended up with a good bruise on her right thigh from hitting the bars when she went down, and some really dirty gear. After all this she decided it was time to go home cuz she was cold. I did make her wash her bike when we got back to the house, then she went right in and took a shower. I couldn't stop laughing last night, every time I would think about it would crack me up. GOOD TIMES!!
    I need to get a helmet cam, I keep missing some great video!! LOL!!!!:lol3 :lol3
  11. Moto_Muffin

Moto_Muffin Motorcycle Muffin

Oddometer:
    Wow, I totally echo the part about the crash you watch playing over and over -- I think I had PTSD for some time after watching my husband stuff his bike under a guard rail on the Kanc a few years back.

It was like slow-motion -- I was following him, and his line looked good to me, but he hit *something* and lost the rear end. Almost pulled it out several times but finally pavement-surfed on his FACE. The whole time, all I could do was watch and say "no, no, no..." inside my helmet. Totally helpless.

It was all I could do to get my own bike pulled over, in gear, kickstand down, and get to him. Shook me up so bad I went all hypoglycemic. Luckily some friends were in the same area, one of them in a CAR, so they zoomed him to the ER. I had to wait and have a granola bar before I could follow on my bike. :huh

That was no fun. His crash kept replaying like a movie in my head for weeks. Took me a long time to shake it.

The kicker is, he had a concussion so doesn't even remember the crash!! :lol3
    PoviBike likes this.
  12. SocalRob

SocalRob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Read your note on the front page. Thanks for posting the link.

Brought back memories of riding with my son when he started on the street. We live at the bottom of a famous canyon Moto road that is also known for severe crashes. I would ride in front thinking that is safer. I would follow thinking that is safer. Of course now I am always behind as he is a much better canyon rider.
    Ride2ADV likes this.
  13. SocalRob

SocalRob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I went down on the freeway about three years ago. Nothing serious, but it was 50mph, and it was a freeway, so always a possibility of going south. I was in gear, and only had a bruised hip and a sore shoulder. Got the bike up with a friendly motorist and made my business meeting only a few minutes late, still with a bit of dirt in my teeth.

Anyway, called the wife to tell her and to say I was ok. She texted oldest daughter “dad crashed his bike on the freeway but is ok”, and daughter really freaked out, just like your kid. Come to think of it, the folks at the business meeting were surprised I was alive too.:lol3
    bomber60015 likes this.
  14. bomber60015

bomber60015 tikkun olam Supporter

Oddometer:

Adventure !
  15. ukAdventurer

ukAdventurer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I let my girlfriend ride my rented scooter in Vietnam in a parking lot. "What's the worst that could happen?" I foolishly thought. I'd somehow forgotten that, although she could ride a horse (she's Mongolian, duh), she'd never even learned to ride a bicycle. Also, the scooter was an automatic. Twist and go, plus simple handlebar mounted brakes, front and rear. Well, she managed about 20 metres before she went down at maybe 10km/h. She was fine to my relief, but the rented scooter had some scratched body panels. I realised I'd been a fool and that she needed to learn to ride a bicycle at least to get her balance figured out. She still hasn't, so she's still my passenger when we ride together.
  16. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not quite a crash.

Road trip and we hit a cyclone, so we are on a winding road 100's of k's from anywhere, heavy rain and running water on the road, check the mirrors to make sure she's still there - and yep still there, mind you she's at 45 degrees to the actual road. I had a corner ahead and had to take that, checked behind once I had straight road again and she's still there and facing the right way once more.

Looks like that ones a keeper if only because I couldn't lose her.

On the other hand I've ridden home with blood dripping off me a few times now and she didn't panic about that either.
  17. kwn306

kwn306 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been riding for 50 years. I saw a friends S/O high side in a turn and the bike landed on her in 2007, she didn't make it. It was the most frightening thing I have ever seen as I was not 50' behind her. The anguish on the husbands face was something I can't even describe. Since that day my wife and I (both ride our own) have ridden with ATGATT. I hit the pavement about 4 years ago and tore up a pair of $200+ BMW gloves and messed up a helmet, but I walked away with a broken little finger. Everyone has a choice has to how to protect themselves when riding. As I have gotten older the wife and I live by a rule to never drive faster than our angels can fly.
  18. Tammy

Tammy Team 2nd Wind

Oddometer:
    Watched my SO wash out the front wheel on gravel this passed weekend 3 hrs from home. I watched the whole thing happen in my mirror. She got up but the bike was stuck in 3rd she had a deep cut in her knee and a fractured left ankle 30 min ride back to camp. We had some drinks and off to the ER the next day. March of this yr she hit ice and fractured her right ankle she called me to help her get the bike up and then went to work. She is a tough old girl just like me but can't understand why I don't baby her when she goes down "no jokes" I tell her that's riding none of my guy riding friends baby me when I hit the ground it's get up and get back on the bike...
  19. DeeG

DeeG Huh?

Oddometer:
    I've only witnessed my spouse dump his bike in parking lots. Curse of the short legged human on tall bikes. Although there was this dark stormy night when I sent two of my deputies to an injury motorcycle accident on a local highway. I always wonder if its someone I might know.... then they give me the license plate to run. My legs gave out and I end up on the floor of dispatch, and there is nothing I can do. I can't ask the deputy if the rider is injured, how bad, is he dead??? I had to wait about 10 minutes before they advised that the rider was uninjured. Really happy he was wearing ATGATT. Shortly after that, we both bought better gear. haha
  20. CopaMundial

CopaMundial Wow, that broke easy

Oddometer:
    Idle curiosity causes me to wonder how many of the folks who commented on this thread originally in 2009 are still significant to/with the same significant others 10 years later.