Water crossing - chickened out, but will be back.

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by iillyyaa, May 29, 2003.

1. iillyyaa

iillyyaa Adwrenchurer!

Oddometer:
    I've ridden my GS/Adv through muddy puddles where the water came up over the jugs (BTW, it goes from 6 bars to 3 in literally a couple of seconds - can't beat watercooling.) I've also crossed deep, but narrow, creeks with clear water, so I could inspect the bottom before plunging. I check the drain plug every time after crossing deep water, but thus far the water never seemed to have gotten into the air box. I attribute it to the wave that the bike pushes just ahead of it. The trough that follows the wave happens to be approximately near the jugs, and therefore clears the air intake.

Last Sunday I was riding with another two friends. We came up to a fairly wide river crossing where we'd have to drive through deep water for a relatively long stretch - maybe 20 yards where you couldn't see the bottom. After walking around and feeling the bottom with a stick, we decided that the F650 could probably make it, but the two GS's had air intakes that were too low for the depth ahead. So, we turned around. And again we turned around on a couple of unmaintained powerline trails in Maine where there were relatively deeps and large bodies of water with "questionable" surface at the bottom.

I hate turning back. So, yesterday I went to the store and bought a couple of hose clamps, some couplings, and a length 1.5" sump pump hose. Last night I've fitted the hose to the snorkel, so that now the air intake is located just above the dashboard. I wanted to test the performance implications with this mod as is before I went all out and sealed the airbox.

It isn't pretty, but looks utilitarian and not out of place on the big GS. I'll post pictures by tomorrow, but I probably won't get to test this setup for another couple of weeks.

The bike still power-wheelies in 1st and bump-0wheelies in 2nd. I got up to 100mph in a reasonable amount of time before running out of road. The air intake noise at hard acceleration actually drowns out the knobbies - an big plus. :thumb

More info to follow after I take the pics. Then more to follow after I seal the box and return to that river crossing. :evil :shark
    --
    Ilya

P.S.: Anyone done something similar? Got any hints?
  2. ME Advbiker

ME Advbiker Guest

Ilya --- I often ride powerlines in Maine and have had fairly negative experiences with water ---- (I submerged my previous bike twice). It has never been the depth, but a hidden rock in a rut or the incredibly sticky mud.

If you are returning to Maine to ride and are looking for a partner or to explore new areas, PM me as I know of some spectacular trails (from the near impossible to beautiful) and welcome a chance to join in on the fun.
  3. nachtflug

nachtflug deplorable

Oddometer:
    re: anything similar

I believe you will be sailing in uncharted waters as they say.

this aint me, its lifted off this site. I believe the BMW Enduro course in Germany.[​IMG]
  4. iillyyaa

iillyyaa Adwrenchurer!

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I saw that picture in another thread. I also read another post saying that they modified that course to have a shallower pool, b/c of too many dead engines.

I know that I will be able to make it a lot more water-resistant than it is. I don't know how well the electrical stuff will fair. I get oil warning light coming on every time I go through water because the sensor wiring gets wet, and staying on until it dries.

BTW, it is probably a lot easier to pick up a bike in water (Archimede's law, bouyancy) especially with a half-empty tank. It would have to be really deep water, though. :flush
    --
    Ilya
  5. nachtflug

nachtflug deplorable

Oddometer:
    anudder[​IMG]
  6. nachtflug

nachtflug deplorable

Oddometer:
  7. iillyyaa

iillyyaa Adwrenchurer!

Oddometer:
  8. BiG DoM

BiG DoM African Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is absolutely true. Take my word for it the GS is NOT designed for deep water crossings (especially long ones) in its standard form. I
    learnt this the HARD AND EXPENSIVE way!!! I did report here that a few months ago while doing a long and not so deep 'water crossing' along a flooded road the wake pushed up by the GS was at precisely the snorkel height resulting in major
    water intake into the engine - hydrolock and damage - this despite executing the prescribed draining of airbox, pulling plugs and turning engine over to expell water etc etc. Our local BMW guru who has trained as an instructor at said Bavarian school where photos in this thread were taken confirmed that this is a weakness when water a certain depth and speed creates that fateful height wake! And yes also confirmed that the academy has made those crossing MUCH shallower. Go figure why BMW still continues to
    perpetuates this invincible GS myth! and does not supply the simple remedy below.

SO - I too after this episode made the BEST pennytech mod ever (in my humble opinion) which I too have been meaning to photograph and post. Probably about 20c total! Basically quite similar.
    Went to local appliance doctor and got a length of
    1 1/2" vacuum cleaner pipe off scrapped machine for free. This concertina type pipe is in fact virtually smooth inside and good for airflow. Took tank off. Cut length of pipe to allow it to be attached from snorkel forward to front subframe and up toward instrument cluster. Hold in place with cable ties (only expense!)to subframe running below tank locating lugs. One has a few options of where to exit pipe - can be cut at an angle to draw air through perforation at indicator, or longer to sit below or next to lights where clean air comes through, or can also be angled backwards
    to sit under the tank drawing air from there. I personally have mine exiting next to lights. The
    pipe does not interfere with the forks and steering if cable tied neatly and works a dream. I do not have mine permanently attached to snorkel - it sits tucked above for normal use and is then unhooked and inserted into snorkel for 'diving'...
    On the end of the pipe one can add an o ring or inch of bicycle inner tube to get nice sealed fit inside snorkel. Good thing about this flexible tubing is that it also conforms to the slightly elipsoid snorkel inner shape. Will post photos this weekend.
  9. The Fist

The Fist Knulp

Oddometer:
    Nice work Big DoM...

I look forward to the pics...

After a weekend of diving, I am extremely interested in making a similar modification....Let us know how it goes...

:evil
  10. sstodvictory

sstodvictory Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It could be more than the air intake that could get water in it. Mine is an airhead R100 GSPD, and the exhaust system leaked pretty bad after it stopped running. I also had water in the rear wheel gear housing (there's a vent hole on it), and so I had to change the gear oil.

I rode it on a flooded road, and it did OK until it reached the bottom edge of the tank and died. I pushed it the rest of the way. The exhaust drained itself out, but it wouldn't start and I spent the next half hour getting water out of the cylinders. I had water squirting out the plug holes. I'm glad these things have strong batteries.

Steve
  11. nachtflug

nachtflug deplorable

Oddometer:
    go for it Iillyyaa

[​IMG]
  12. nachtflug

nachtflug deplorable

Oddometer:
    or wait for the waters to recede...

[​IMG]
  13. IronDawg

IronDawg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's a little water crossing in somewhere in AR.
  14. nachtflug

nachtflug deplorable

Oddometer:
    hey look at all that green, having a wet spring out there?
  15. IronDawg

IronDawg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pretty damn wet. Right after this, we rode about 20 miles and stopped for gas and it started raining hard for the rest of the day. I had to laugh cause everyone I was with was laughing at me cause I was soaked, by the end of the day, so were they.
  16. eap

eap El Adventurero Solitario Supporter

Oddometer:
    Agree - way very excellent :thumb- need pics dudes - I love water crossings - what about water getting in the vent on the rear drive????
  17. Nemo

Nemo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've always worried about the shock of cold water against the hot engine possibly warping something, especially in the ice-cold streams out west. Has anyone had any problems with this?
  18. BiG DoM

Oddometer:
    here are the pics -

Firstly with the tank off (also beak for some other surgery - relocation of indicators). Note
    pipe in position to exit LHS of headlight when beak on.
  19. BiG DoM

Oddometer:
    Now with tube removed from snorkel mouth for normal riding - gets stowed tucked under tank above snorkel. Note rubber o-ring to ensure good seal.
  20. BiG DoM

Oddometer:
    Pic from top looking into fork well after tank etc back on - tube on LHS does not interfere with forkleg and exits pushed next to headlight.