Water crossings ?

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by S/W, Mar 17, 2019.

1. S/W

S/W Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I haven't seen or heard of any discussions relating to water crossings on an electric bike. Anyone have a story ? Is it covered in the owners manual ? Any sealed well enough for a totally submerged river crossing? Think of the fun, pretending to roll down a boat ramp screaming you "can't stop" , disappear into the water, only to ride back out !!!
  2. ctromley

ctromley Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't know for sure, but Alta's bikes looked like you could leave them submerged in a creek for awhile and they'd work fine. Any serious dirt EM needs to be immersion-safe. Electric mountain bikes are getting more popular, but that's not my thing so I don't know how they fare.

In the old days of EVs with open-frame series wound motors, there was a concern about driving on flooded streets, etc. The fact is that water is a poor conductor compared to the copper windings, so it'll still work. Not as efficiently because there is some shorting going on, but it'll work. The problem is that it makes a mess. You have to clean it up to make sure you aren't left with ground faults and other problems.

My OEM electric car manual says to not ford water over 12" deep. I suspect that's because the battery pack is down there and it's vented for cooling, along with some BMS electronics. Again, drying and cleanup would be the biggest issue.

If the topic is not covered in your manual, contact the manufacturer.
  3. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    My bike:

[​IMG]
  4. gmk999

gmk999 ____ as a Rotax

Oddometer:
    If your leg starts to tingle... Wheelie out
    S/W and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  5. NoMoreIdeas

NoMoreIdeas Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Zero's military spec bikes are good for 1 meter of submersion. I've read a story of some person who dropped their zero fx at a water crossing and had no issues with the bike. I've personally ridden my FX in the rain and washed it with a hose a few times.
    Chaostrophy and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  6. RedWolf

RedWolf Corporate Zombie

Oddometer:
    Had my Alta in water up to the seat, rode right out and down the trail, no problem.
  7. S/W

S/W Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't have an electric bike, but , was interested as when I watch off road videos there always seems to be a water crossing with a bike in the water. I remember a TV commercial for I think razors or shaving cream ( I could be way off) where a jeep was driven under water by a diver. The jeep had snorkel's for the intake and exhaust, I was impressed.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  8. S/W

S/W Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I guess that answers the question.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.