water/petrol jugs

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Tugrik, Jul 24, 2002.

1. Tugrik

Tugrik Big Blue Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Where might one find smaller versions of the 'jerrycans' seen on jeeps (etc), for mounting to a GS? I'd like to get a set for putting water in, and find a nice-looking way to mount them to the bike.
  2. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Not much help, but.....
    I would think callapsable containers put inside securely mounted side bags would work. Fuel might require some kinda marine bladder.
    At most Wal-Marts and auto parts stores you can find small nifty 1 gal and 2.5 gal containers that could be strapped to a luggage rack.
    At 8# per gal, it can get heavy quick.
  3. Red Bull

Red Bull Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I put Nalgeen (1/2 gallon square containers) in my aerostich tank panniers. No one will admit that they are gas proof, but they are. Nalgeen also makes (red) GAS containers, quart only, (same plastic) that are certifided for gas.
  4. Scary Mc

Scary Mc hellgrammite Supporter

Oddometer:

Attached Files:

5. Tugrik

Oddometer:
    Yup, that's them!

What I'm looking for is a way to mount them to a GS nicely. Had I the alu-bags for the adventure, I could use the fold-out sidemounts to hold a jerrycan each, instead of the boxes.

I think I even found a smaller 3gal size, which is more realistic for on-bike carry.
  6. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Tug, can you tell us some more about how you intend to use them? It seems if you mount big cans of water to the sides, you won't be able to fit panniers with your gear. Is this for a distance ride? Or just to bring a bunch of water into burning man?

I don't understand the in/out privilege thing, but what I like to do is get to my destination, setup tent, dump gear, and go get beer and water. Sometimes food. If you had a big rack, like a TOTL, or a home-grown one like Gerg's, you can easily fit a case of bottled water on top. A bunch will fit in the systemcase too. Otherwise, you can get a couple of collapsable water jugs and try to strap them to the rack, but bottled water is just so much easier to deal with (except for the waste), and you can be pretty sure it's clean.

Which reminds me, I can't recall if you lowered your exhaust and put a fullsize left case on? Anyway, the left case is larger than the right, so that's the one to empty...if it's a fullsize case. And here we are back at the evil canister...because the cannister mounts behind the right system case, the inner case has a big bulge in it to clear the canister, thereby taking up a bunch of room in the top of the case. Too bad you can't fix that after the canister is made to go byebye.
  7. Tugrik

Oddometer:
    The latter. My tent/sleepingbags will be in Helen2Wheels bags across the rear seat (along with a basic change of clothing), and food in the tankbag/panniers. The rest of my gear (more clothing, cooking equipment, desert playtoys, etc) will be with my sister, who's going out a day earlier in her car. So, yeah, it's mostly a silly 'desert' look while also hauling a lot of quite useful water... and if the mounts end up being the kind that hold cans (instead of the cans themselves mounting to the frame somehow), I could swap between water jugs and gas jugs if needed, at a later date.

I'll have to take pics of how the rest of this is shaping up. The conversion of the Wunderlich Sahara tankbag into something thunderdome-ish is going well; a costume-maker friend of mine is sewing all kinds of patchwork leather onto it. We're also working on a good dead-animal-looking seat cover, and ways to temporarily cover any other overly bright-and-shiny part of the bike, to make it look more desert-worn.
  8. RedMenace

RedMenace Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer:
    I use the big jungle style military canteen/flotation device. I replaced the bladder with one from Platypus, 'cause I didn't like the plastic taste of the mil issue bladder. I think it holdds four or five quarts. You could sling two or three from the panniers I assume you normally run on your bike. I mounted mine to the sidecar body, using ss U bolts and aluminum caribeners.
    You could try Ural America-the Patrol comes with a aluminum jerry can that is very nice. Sometimes hard to get-the Russians tend to steal them at the loading docks to use for vodka!
    The Mil surplus catalogs sometimes have 4 and 5 gallon jerrycans for water; the US surplus are plastic. The French surplus are steel ceramic lined. My fav is the stubby 4 gal French can for supplying wine to the troops, stamped "Vin". Try Brigade or quartermaster Supply or Sportsmans Guide.
    This photo of Ed rescuing my bike shows the bladder canteen on my sidecar and the aluminum can on Ed's Ural.

Attached Files:

9. Komet

Komet The Voice of Reason

Oddometer:

Attached Files: