Waterproof Cold Weather Gloves? Ex. Klim, BMW, etc.

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Barnaby'sDad, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Barnaby'sDad

Barnaby'sDad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What is a good glove option for both cold weather (x < 30*) and cooler days (x < 50*) with rain? My current cold weather gloves are just fine until it starts raining (not Goretex).

Preferably gloves that are long enough that they’ll go a ways up the arm to prevent a draft. Ex. Klim Klimate.

I had a good experience with a pair of BMW winter gloves years ago, so I am considering going that route again. It looks like their current equivalent to what I had would be the “Pro winter” gloves. Thank you.

Edit: The local BMW dealer has the Klim Vanguard GTX, Alpinestars Patron GTX, and the BMW 2-1. I’ll go by and check those out (try to buy local, if possible).
  2. Urbandrag

Urbandrag KLiM Beotch!

Oddometer:
    I used to wear BMW winter gloves, but just like the Rallye suit, they go on the heavy side when they get wet with rain. Then I switched my gear to Klim.
    I wore many Klim goretex gloves in that temperature range, even with rain. All of them exceeded my expectations.
    I updated the heated grips to oxford grips and also installed Hippohands. Nothing say f*ck u winter like that setup. It also allows you to wear less bulky or all seasons gloves.
    Barnaby'sDad likes this.
  3. Barnaby'sDad

Oddometer:
    I’ve got heated grips that are plenty toasty, so I’m good there. My hands stay warm and comfortable until my gloves soak through.

I just got a Klim suit. It is legit waterproof compared to some stuff that I’ve owned that claims to be. I expect that their gloves would be just as good.
    Urbandrag likes this.
  4. Daboo

Daboo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Try waterproofing your gloves. If they keep your hands warm till they soak through, just keep them from soaking through.

Fred Meyer sells spray cans of waterproofing for camping gear. Believe it or not, the same rain that falls on tents, is what falls on your gloves. If it can keep the tent inside dry, it'll keep your hands dry too. :-) Sometimes we look for a sledge hammer to hang a picture, when a small hammer will do the job. A Kiwi can sells for about $8 and will do your gloves, jacket, and pants.

I spray all my gear each year. Even with a waterproof liner, the outer portion will soak up water like a sponge. It gets heavy and takes forever to dry when it does that. But when you spray it like that, it keeps the water out and you avoid all that.

What material are your gloves made of? If leather, there's another option. I used to use combat boots for mountain climbing when I was a kid. I'd use Snowseal on the boots. It's a product like a grease that went on like shoe polish. Well, the way I got it to soak into the leather was to put my Mom's oven on low with the door open and warm up the leather. Then the Snowseal soaked right in and there was no greasy residue. It worked well enough that I could walk through streams without a thought. You could do something like that with your gloves if they are leather.

And if you just have to buy new Gore-tex gloves, sell me your others cheap. ;)

Chris
    Barnaby'sDad likes this.
  5. Barnaby'sDad

Oddometer:
    Chris, I appreciate that. We’ll see. If I find a pair that I really like (Goretex and more comfortable than this pair), I may get those, treat this pair, and keep them around for a backup. It never hurts to have an extra pair of gloves around.:beer
  6. Daboo

Daboo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One more thought...I started a thread over at F800Riders.org on the same subject a few months ago. Well, just before Christmas I found an answer that I didn't expect. Look up snowmobile gloves on Amazon.

Now I'll be the first to say "No!" to using anything like ski gloves for motorcycle riding. If having protection built into the glove is important in the summer, it's even more important in the winter when you're more likely to take a spill. (Which is one beef I have with my Gerbings. Either they don't have much protection built-in...or that's all we need and all the protection we see on summer gloves is overkill.) But I was surprised. Tucked away with the warm ski gloves and snow mobile gloves were what appeared to be some nice inexpensive winter motorcycle gloves.

Here's one that looks interesting:
    • Castle X TRS G2 Mens Snowmobile Gloves Black - CONSTRUCTION: Soft touch high abrasion resistant polyester with 3M Thinsulate Platinum Insulation (250g top of hand /150g palm) WATERPROOFING: Hipora windproof, waterproof, breathable full membrane and water resistant Pittards leather across top of hand - Cost = $90. https://www.amazon.com/Castle-Mens-...ords=snowmobile+gloves&qid=1579213938&sr=8-67
      [​IMG]
      Most inexpensive "motorcycle" gloves have a total of 100g of Thinsulate.

• Castle X Factor-G1 Snowmobile Glove - CONSTRUCTION: Siliconized water resistant leather and dobby nylon outer shell with 3M Thinsulate Platinum Insulation (200g top of hand /150g palm) with siliconized water resistant double layered leather palm WATERPROOFING: Hipora windproof, waterproof, breathable full membrane insert and DWR coated shell materials Cost = $80. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KOTIWGA/ref=twister_B07XTRNCKX?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Chris

Barnaby'sDad likes this.
  7. Barnaby'sDad

Oddometer:
    That's an interesting point. I would be curious to know what the difference is (from a technical or structural standpoint) between snowmobile and motorcycle winter gloves. ex. To me...some of the Klim winter motorcycle gloves look pretty much identical to snowmobile gloves.

As far as the style goes, that pair you posted is exactly what I'm thinking of. My old BMW gloves were that style and allowed them to easily go over the sleeve of the jacket...preventing drafts.
  8. ptgarcia

ptgarcia Huh?

Oddometer:
    From what I can tell the biggest difference is the abrasion resistance.
  9. Barnaby'sDad

Oddometer:
    The buckle abrasion resistance does look more aggressive. The palm material tends to look about the same though.
  10. S/W

S/W Long timer

Oddometer:
    In the past I commuted in winter temperatures and even occasionally rain and snow. I used rubber coated work gloves, ( I still carry them in my top box year round) and would change the liners according to the temperature. They are cheap and do the job. For liners I use wool knit gloves ( warm when wet ) and sometimes use the silver ski glove liners, alone and under the wool. I moved on to heated grips and heated gloves, and when it is really cold heated gloves are the way to go if you can't afford both. If you have both use both and you could sweat at minus freezing temps. Now, I have "Elephant Hands" for those cold wet days, and do have some Gore-Tex gloves for average temps.
  11. Barnaby'sDad

Oddometer:
    I got a can of the waterproofing stuff that @Daboo mentioned. I hosed them down good today. I’m curious to see how that works.
    Daboo likes this.
  12. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    Research the BMW 2 IN 1 glove.

13. * SHAG *

* SHAG * Unstable

Oddometer:
  14. davidji

davidji bike curious

Oddometer:
    Not a cold weather glove the way the OP is looking for. IMO anyway, and I've worn out a pair. They were my favorite in-between conditions glove, until I decided the construction was inadequate. A couple of places that looked like leather weren't, and didn't hold up.

They're OEM from Held, and I've heard (but not confirmed) that the Held branded models are better. And if you want a 2-compartment glove for Winter conditions, The Held Twin seems more promising. I hoped to find those when I was last glove shopping, but none of those models are available here right now. And I prefer not to order gloves.
    DCrider likes this.
  15. Jim K.

Jim K. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Check out Winter Elite II (Tourmaster?) They are a leather gauntlet type with a small zippered pocket in the gauntlet holding a water/wind proof over glove. Works great & the "II" version has a really effective seal at the gauntlet end.
  16. Barnaby'sDad

Oddometer:
    Awesome 24* commute this morning. If i kept it under 65 MPH, I was able to feel my fingertips. That brought to mind my old BMW winter gloves. Under about 25*, I had to put liners in them.

This brings up a separate, but related question...any thoughts on Hippo Hands? From the sounds of it, their Alcan model would address both of my concerns (waterproofing and cold weather).

I'll give those some thought. They look like they'd be better than what I've got at the moment.
  17. glory racing

glory racing Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use basic handlebar muffs that are manufactured by Moose and I believe are made/marketed for 4 wheelers. They are basically affordable Hippo Hands and only cost around $20. Like mentioned in the 2nd post of this thread...works great with heated grips. Your hands will be warm and dry with summer weight gloves. They look hideous but work so well it is worth it.
  18. Daboo

Daboo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I used something like that for years on a previous motorcycle. Mine were from Ducks Unlimited, but the same idea. They wee either made for snowmobiles or ATVs. As long as they aren't made for "motorcycles", the cost will be about half, but they'll work just as good.

The handlebars on that bike had a plastic covering over them. I found I had to block off the air going into the glove completely for it to be effective. I used a crude, but effective method. I took old rags and stuffed them into those openings. It sounds tacky, but it worked well. No one could see the rags after the muffs were installed, including me. On the outside of the muffs, I used black duct tape to seal the edges against wind coming in. I rode for a couple days down to 16F with those on, and the commute was an hour each way. My hands were warm.

Chris
    Barnaby'sDad likes this.
  19. PJveetwin

PJveetwin LD-Ordie Supporter

Oddometer:
    These Moose muff's look like a decent option without spending $100.+ with Hippo Hands. $20. on Ebay is a cheap try
  20. glory racing

glory racing Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep....the low cost is why I bought them years ago. Figured if I liked them I would purchase something nicer. Found there was no need to buy anything else.

There is a similar pair on Ebay...they are now only $23. Search this:
    Sports Parts Inc - SM-16098 - Snowmobile Handlebar Gauntlets
    PJveetwin likes this.