Waypoints for POI's betweeen Riggins and Stanley, ID

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - West & PNW' started by River-Runner, Feb 25, 2015.

1. River-Runner

River-Runner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm planning a ride this summer and would appreciate any input on interesting places to visit. We will have two weeks, so plenty of time to explore and hopefully meet folks. We will start in Riggins and weave our way to Yellow Pine and on to Stanley and then north along the Frank Church if possible. Like to get into Loon Creek. We have rafted the Middle Fork for many, many years.......

Specifically, anyone have the coordinates for Roosevelt, Thunder Mountain City and Yellow Jacket - old mining camps? I'd appreciate any other POI's as well.

Thank you.
  2. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Take the tour on the Dredge north of Stanley.
  3. BeemerBOI

BeemerBOI Dirt n00b

Oddometer:
    You might add Cinnabar Mine to the list if you get in the area of Stibnite.

On the Yellowpine to Stanley leg, there are a couple of suggestions.

Head east at Landmark and go out the Artillery Dome road. The road goes out about 23 miles along a corridor to the Lucky Lad and Franklin D Mines. There is one rocky section going over the back side (east) of Walkers Peak that may be . . . . entertaining. But it's also been a few years since I have gone out there. I had heard that the road to the Franklin was blocked at the top of the ridge before you drop into the area around the mine, but don't know it the information is either current or correct.

The old cabin near Snowshoe Summit was barely standing 25 years ago, but it makes a good stop.

There are several areas to camp on the way out the ridge, but take water. There are not many water sources until you either drop into the area just above the Franklin D, or a couple of miles from the end of the road or trail head at the Lucky Lad.

You already mentioned Loon Creek, so you probably know about the road from Cape Horn, up Beaver Creek to Feltham Point/ Pinyon Peak Lookout / Loon Creek to Yankee Fork & Sunbeam.

When were you thinking about being in the area?
    Most of these areas may not open till late July or early August, and even then there may be drifts that have not cleared.
  4. River-Runner

River-Runner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you very much, I will look up these sights.