We are doing it! Aussie couple's 12 month adventure through the Americas...

Discussion in 'Americas' started by lifetravelled, Jan 20, 2018.

1. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    bruinADVguy likes this.
  2. smoltz

smoltz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like we'll be heading in opposite directions until Mexico, but maybe I'll see you out there.

It looks like everyone else has the bike recommendations under control, so I'll stay out of that. ;-) I'm taking my 06 R12GSA on my Boston->Alaska->Argentina trip. Maybe not the bike I would choose for this trip in a green field, but it's the bike I have and I have enough planning to do without trying to build another bike. I also didn't pay a ton of money for it so if it doesn't make it back I won't be losing any sleep over it.

So I'll focus on the important stuff, the route!

I live in New Hampshire (near Boston). I don't see Nova Scotia on your route. I know it's out of the way, but, it's a great place. Amazing roads, amazing scenery. If you're doing one trip to NA and trying to cover everything, it's worth checking out. You can take the Ferry from Portland. If you're looking for things to google in NS: Cabot Trail, Meat Cove, Halifax, Bay of Fundy, Fort Louisberg.

In Maine, in addition to Portland I would check out Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park. You mentioned you prefer tarmac, but if you're looking to get a little dirty, DockingPilot on this site has some great tracks through northern Maine on all dirt roads. They're a mix. A very high percentage I would be comfortable doing 2-up on my GSA.

In New Hampshire (between Portland and NYC), if you do nothing else (other than drive through) go up Mount Washington. The lakes region in NH is nice, Lake Winnipesaukee.

Good luck! Hope to see you guys out there.
  3. Terry & Janelle

Terry & Janelle Two Aussie riders planning a 3 month tour of USA

Oddometer:
    WHAT!!!
    You mean they wont let Aussies bring a Kevin???
    I'm afraid that wont do at all!! :)

Kevin in Austria.JPG Kevin in France.JPG
  4. Wreckchecker

Wreckchecker Ungeneer to broked stuff. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Of course they will. My daughter's Travel Bear has done a number of laps of the planet with me.
    :thumb
    [​IMG]
    Terry & Janelle likes this.
  5. lifetravelled

lifetravelled Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks mate,

I hope it's not our last trip to the US but it will be our last on a motorbike for along time, I will look into it.

Thanks for the recommendations.

I hope we can meet up along the road somewhere.

Josh and Stef
  6. boatpuller

boatpuller Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you realize how similar the 650 and 1000 are in weight? And the 1000 has better suspension (or did when I owned one several years ago.) It's not that often you hear "Oh man, I wish I had less power." That being said, the 650 is still a good engine/bike, but it will fall short fully loaded on the high speed western highways that you will find yourself on at some points of your USA trip.
  7. boatpuller

boatpuller Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you have strong confidence of future non-motorbike USA trips, consider saving the urban areas of the east coast for those. Most of us who live here don't like riding in major eastern cities (or really any major city) and prefer the more beautiful rural areas. That could allow you to reach the Canadian Rockies and British Columbia, both which are spectacular on a "motorbike." Major cities are easy to reach via airplane and public transportation, things easily done on a non-motorbike trip. Just something to think about.
    Richarde1605, barko1 and smoltz like this.
  8. Wreckchecker

Oddometer:
    Have had one of each and the 650 is the one we wish hadn't been sold.
  9. boatpuller

boatpuller Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why do you think that is so?
  10. Wreckchecker

Oddometer:
    The two indeed are not that different in weight or ergonomics. Neither is a speed demon and nobody expects them to be, so the slower acceleration of the 650 isn't that big of a problem. Obviously, at high altitudes the 650 can get lethargic, but we live closer to sea level. The extra mass of the 1000 makes it a bit better in strong cross winds, but it just feels more top heavy and doesn't have the overall "balance" of feel that the 650 has.
  11. WEA$EL

WEA$EL 3rd generation rider

Oddometer:
    Holler if you plan to come through western Pennsylvania, eastern Ohio or northern West Virginia. I live right where the three meet. Lots of cool riding in the area. Plenty of room here, spare bedroom, garage full of tools and tent space.
    lifetravelled likes this.
  12. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I rode my WR250R 42,000 miles all over the US and Canada in 2015 and 2016.....not a single problem on ANY roads from Interstates to gravel. Most fun I've ever had traveling.
    tferguson and lifetravelled like this.
  13. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    There is no replacement for displacement. BIG engines rule the road in the USA. Yes.....I know.....we own two Suzuki DR650’s!
  14. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Haha yep....all marketing....but....Harley's profits down 82% so far this year....plants closing....the thrill is gone (BB King)...looks like men don't want to look like a badass biker anymore....they want to look like pussies these days :lol3

But I digress....back to the OP's program :thumb
  15. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    I know people travel the USA on small bikes, but there are times I just like to have some speed in reserve.

I used to commute to college on a Honda XL185. It had a top speed of 60-65 mph. It was fine most of the way, but there was one section where cars would get about 2 feet off my rear tire, and there was no shoulder to pull off. I would have the throttle pinned, in full tuck, and little drops of oil were spitting out the gaskets onto my legs.

Forward a few years...I had an XL600R. Its top speed was more like 85 mph. To access some parts of the state, there are only one or two choices of roads. I would have the bike maxed out, and traffic would be passing me like I was an obstacle in the roadway. At least that bike had some speed available, but I didn't typically like to cruise for long periods of time above 75 mph or so.

This is why I typically say that a DR650 is the smallest dual sport I would want to travel any distance in the USA. They will get into the 90s, which gives you just enough in reserve. The V-Strom 650 will do 20 mph better, so is also good. The difference between the two is how much off road you plan to do. A decent rider can take the DR on some nasty single track (I used to do that a lot on my XL600, including Pismo Dunes). The DL is a bit better on the open road. To me, these two bikes are near the sweet spot for world travel.
    lifetravelled, mutt550 and Tewster2 like this.
  16. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
    Thanks weasel,

Not sure we will make it, but if we do will definitely take you up on your offer.

Thanks a lot

Josh & Stef
  17. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
    Hi all,

I have put together a map on Furkot, Im still learning how to use it, would love suggestions on the easiest way to mark on a map our route.

This is not a detailed route at all more just a outline of were we are thinking we will travel over about 10 weeks that we have in the USA.

The waypoints are just done to get the overall route, I have more detailes routes saved in legs including roads and places we would like to visit.

USA Map.png

As always open to suggestions and shout out if we coming past and we can catch up for a beer as long as its not Fosters.

Thanks for reading Josh and Stef
  18. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
    Looking for input for those who have been to Mexico,

We are looking at spending around 5 weeks in Mexico, including a week somewhere on the Yucatan for a week for my birthday.

Still trying to decide if we should do Baja, I know its a great place to ride but from the reading I have it looks more suited to off road vs tarmac riding.

Is it worth going?

We have been to Mexico and love the food, culture and beaches.

Thanks

Josh & Stef
  19. boatpuller

boatpuller Long timer

Oddometer:
    You're going to miss the western half of Colorado?! (The NW corner of CO is flat and barren, but the rest is spectacular.)
  20. Wreckchecker

Oddometer:
    Some mods to consider:
    Up the Pacific coast to Seattle
    East to your northern-most Idaho waypoint, then follow what you have down to Las Vegas
    East to wander all you want in norhtern AZ, southern NV, and come north in CO
    East to ride the hills of Missouri and if possible, Arkansas
    Follow the Mississippi up to your Chicago waypoint
    Follow your route to Quebec. Make sure to spend time in Montreal.
    In the Maine corner, see if you can get out to either Acadia National Park or if tight on time then to the area of Bailey's Island
    Atlanta's got some touristy things to see.