1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

We are doing it! Aussie couple's 12 month adventure through the Americas...

Discussion in 'Americas' started by lifetravelled, Jan 20, 2018.

1. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    I agree with the others. The two major holes I see are:

1. The Pacific coast from San Francisco to Portland. The section between L.A. and San Francisco is somewhat similar, but there are a lot more lighthouses up north. I don't think you should sacrifice seeing the Sierra Nevada though. Maybe cut over from the Pacific to Sierra around San Francisco, then rejoin the coast in southern Oregon? Then over to Wyoming.
    2. Southern and Central Colorado. Mesa Verde and Rocky Mountain NP are both great. Mesa Verde is a cultural site with cliff dwellings. Rocky Mtn could be skipped if you've seen mountains elsewhere. Maybe see Utah/Colorado after Glacier NP?

Any interest in Key West Florida? It's really just a long bridge out into the Caribbean that leads to a tropical tourist spot, but a lot of people want to see it.
    lifetravelled likes this.
  2. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    The blacktop road in Baja top to bottom is great. It’s an interesting ride. It’s like Mexico Light.
  3. Hatchery

Hatchery Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Seems like a shame for your route to miss the SW Colorado high country. Not many places like that on the planet and full range of road/trail options.
    barko1 and lifetravelled like this.
  4. smoltz

smoltz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's always tough to know what you're looking to get out of the trip and if the route you've selected is a starting point or if there are specific things that you wanted to see in those areas. I also find that with planning these big trips, there are a million routes, and given any finite amount of time, there is a lot of great stuff you're going to see and a lot of great stuff you're going to miss.

If it were my trip, a couple things to think about, maybe more riding on the Pacfiic coast and Pacific Northwest. Washington, Oregon, PCH. Lots of great riding and amazing scenery. Your route in the East/Northeast goes through some major cities. I'm guessing that's intentional and that you want to see those areas, but the riding on and around I-95 is hell on a bike. Be sure to check out Big Bend National Park since you're almost driving right by.
  5. packn4alivin

packn4alivin packn4alivin

Oddometer:
    If you need tent space near Yellowstone I've got lots of space. I'm about an hour and a half from Yellowstone.
  6. lifetravelled

lifetravelled Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Thanks packn4alivin,

We much appreciate the offer i will s Ne you a PM now.

Cheers

Josh and Stef
  7. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the delay in replying to everyone we have been flat out organising the boring stuff at home and work related things.

The great news is we have both had the year be approved from both our employers which means be both have jobs when we get back YAY!!

We have looked at our plan and will be head anticlockwise and will do the best to get to much of the pacific north west as we can towards the end of our time in the US before heading south

Thanks for everyone's time
  8. oneway

oneway Tehachapi CA

Oddometer:
    Check out the tent space thread. Many of us are listed. I am currently in South America. I may or may not be home. But check out that thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  9. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
    Thanks oneway,

Yeah Tentspace looks great and have had a few reachout already which we are grateful for.

We are not camping on this trip so we limited to those who generously offer there homes or campers too.

Thanks

Josh and Stef
  10. barko1

barko1 barko1 Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can understand why the not camping, but you might miss some nice spots. Anyway I don't know if you have got a firm idea on a bike yet but I'd go with something bigger. Heck I have a Concours 1400 for sale cheap which would be a good bike for the US, maybe not for Mexico. I'm in the NE corner of Georgia and if home I'd be happy to provide you with a resting and bike maintenance place.
  11. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
    Haha the concours would be great for the USA and most bikes that will be great for the USA are not suitable to take all the way to Argentina so no matter what it will be a compromise but I know we will be happy and make it work with whatever we get in the end.

Thanks for the offer we will keep it in mind much appreciated
  12. Be Gone For Good

Be Gone For Good Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, I am definitely all ready to go for this trip. Thanks for keeping us all up to date.
  13. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    Hi Josh and Stef,
    Bed, BBQ and Beer (Canadian) for ya when in Canada, we're between Toronto and Niagara Falls.
    Cheers Den
  14. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
    Th
    Thanks Den,

Sounds great much appreciated we would love to take u up on that offer.

Josh and Stef
    roadcapDen likes this.
  15. BLucare

BLucare What could possibly go wrong?

Oddometer:
    I'm in :clap and an early welcome to America! I'm a bit out of your way, but for what it's worth, I'd gladly offer y'all a bed, a shower, and a hot meal if you were passing through :thumb Looking forward to following along!
  16. lifetravelled

Oddometer:

Thanks BLucare,

We are heading to Chicago, and I would love to visit the HD museum so if we get time we will head up there, if so would love to take you up on your offer.

Thanks

Josh
    BLucare likes this.
  17. BLucare

BLucare What could possibly go wrong?

Oddometer:
    Sounds great, mate. I'm half an hour north of the HD museum, but it's a very nice drive and a nice slice of the upper Midwest. All the best as you continue to prepare :thumb
  18. SloDon

SloDon Hey...where am I?

Oddometer:
    If this is still your basic plan while in the south look into the Nachez Trace Parkway.

Pick it up in Nachez MS not far from New Orleans and run it all they way to Nashville TN from there drop back down to Chattanooga and over to Cherokee NC and head up the Blue Ridge Parkway all the way to Font Royal VA and your almost to DC. https://www.nps.gov/natr/index.htm

The Blue Ridge Parkway is one of the top ten rides in the US. https://www.blueridgeparkway.org

When you get nearer to Atlanta hit me up for some other south east gems.

Enjoy your travels!
  19. jettech01

jettech01 Why be cleaning when you should be leaning.

Oddometer:
    Folks, if you are in the Houston texas area either at the very beginning or near the end, I can provide accommodations as well as
    a place for your bike, accomplish any maintenance needed. I can change tires, (and Balance) look me up on the tent space thread.
    I have hosted some very nice folks in the past. Most anyone is welcome provided they can provide some references.
    cheers
    Have a great ride.
    R
  20. Booghotfoot

Booghotfoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are you married to the idea of riding straight east from the black hills to Chicago? Consider going through northern minnesota forests and lakes and either the north or south route along lake superior. Beautiful country.

Sent from my LGUS991 using Tapatalk