We are doing it! Aussie couple's 12 month adventure through the Americas...

Discussion in 'Americas' started by lifetravelled, Jan 20, 2018.

1. MCYC74

MCYC74 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There is a tradeoff between East and West. I would agree with you that the West has more dramatic vistas, but the East benefits from much older (European) settlement and thus the culture is deeper and more varied. Personally, I need both: riding the national parks in Utah is humbling, but so is New York City - and for entirely different reasons.
  2. MCYC74

MCYC74 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I live in downtown Toronto and would be happy to put you up. I have a garage, tools and spare room. Toronto is consistently rated as one of the best cities in the world (along with Sydney and Melbourne) and if I am around, I’d be happy to show you the sights. Canadians and Australians have a special bond: we’re like two siblings of the British Empire and our respective politics and lifestyle have many similarities.
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  3. lifetravelled

lifetravelled Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What a great recommendation, thanks, I have looke into this and looks great.

Recommendations like this will make our trip much appreciated.

I will update our plan shorty.

Thanks Josh
  4. lifetravelled

Oddometer:

Thanks jettech01,

We are planning on heading your way mid June so hopefully that works and we would love to take you up on your offer.

Much appreciated

Josh and Stef
  5. lifetravelled

Oddometer:

Thanks for the recommendation, we will look into, the way we have planned it looks like a couple of boring slab days, so open to better suggestions.

Josh
  6. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
    Yeah 100% agree with you, we like both and hope to enjoy both.
  7. jettech01

jettech01 Why be cleaning when you should be leaning.

Oddometer:
    Josh and Steff;
    anytime after the 10th of June I will be out of pocket (so to speak) sorry I won't have the chance to meet you.
    R
  8. lifetravelled

Oddometer:

Sounds great, we would love to take you up on your offer.

We are lucky to live in a great part of Melbourne and love it here but can't wait to go explore, Melboure always rates better than Sydney that's all that matters.
  9. boatpuller

boatpuller Long timer

Oddometer:
    Going around Lake Superior is not on the way to Chicago, but this trip is not about being the most efficient. I find the north side of Lake Superior to be much more beautiful than the south side, by a large margin. But to do the north side before Chicago has you looping around the east side and some of the south side on your way south through Wisconsin and into Chicago. Which is not a bad way to go, if your schedule allows.

On that route, I strongly suggest Duluth, Minnesota as a gem of a town. Aerostich is headquartered there, and every touring motorcyclist should stop by at least once. The town is a bit of an artist community and foodie location. The little downtown is full of eclectic shops and restaurants, and is easily strolled. The area is very popular with touring kayakers, and with good reason - it's beautiful.

Also, if you overnight in Thunder Bay, Ontario, I strongly suggest the Prince Arthur waterfront hotel. It's a grand ol dame of a place, well maintained (at least 5 years ago), with a restaurant with exceptional food. they gave me a logo'ed microfiber towel upon checking for my motorcycle. The local Harley Dealer suggested them, and had special rates I could use by asking for them. (Note: Harley dealers in N. Am. usually have very good local knowledge for touring riders, even if you are on a different brand motorcycle. They also have nice restrooms, refreshments, and really don't care if you look like a power ranger instead of a leather-clad pirate. Don't be afraid to use them for any of the above.)
  10. Telekinesis

Telekinesis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll second SloDon's recommendations - Natchez Trace Parkway is great and Hwy 74 (between Chattanooga, TN and Cherokee, NC is excellent as well. I'm not sure if it would work better for your trip plan, but I would also look at taking Hwy 74 to Hwy 64 (the turnoff is in Murphy, NC), then go north on Hwy 276 to join the Blue Ridge Pkwy.

Not to say that this route would be better than SloDon's, but it's just another option. There's a bunch of tight, twisty roads in that area. Absolutely beautiful.

You might not hit Birmingham, AL if you take the Natchez Trace Pkwy, but if you do find a way over here we have an excellent motorcycle museum/track (Barber Motorsports Park) right off of I-20.

I'm not sure if you have settled on a bike yet, but my wife and I are in a similar spot planning 2 up trips with luggage (right now just trips lasting only a few weeks, nothing near the magnitude of what you two are doing...yet) and we settled on the V Strom 1000. For us it hit the perfect combination of price, reliability, highway manners, and dirt road competency. The DL650 would probably be a tad bit better on the dirt roads in Central/South America, but for North American interstates with 2 people and full luggage, we wanted to have a little bit more power than what the 650 could provide. The 650 does have the 1000 beat on fuel economy though (40 vs 60 ish MPG Hwy) so that might be another factor to consider.
  11. tricky.

tricky. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, another similiar aged aussie here who lives in norcal and just got back from a year riding the americas. Would be great to catch up with you guys when you get here and impart any knowldege. Also happy to help with any logistical stuff too if needed.

I would also vote for a strom 650. Cheap to buy (handy if you want to firesale at the end of the trip) and sutprisingly popular in central snd south america, so parts are not too spendy or hard to find. In the states it will be a bit of a chore but over the border 80mph cruising wont really be a issue.
  12. holckster

holckster dougholck

Oddometer:
    I'm located near Lodi, Ca (25 miles south of Sacramento) and on the tent space list.
    www.visitlodi.com
    Many stop by and get personal wine tour, car tour of San Francisco ( not a friendly moto riding town), guided foothill loop into the Gold Country (visit Ironstone Winey in Murphys and see worlds largest chunk of Gold) and BBQ ribs at the Waterloo Inn near my ranch..

We are currently getting hammered by rain and much snow in the Serrias so plan accordingly.
    Tioga Pass east out of Yosemite usually does not open till June/July.
    I prefer the southwest in May.
    Alaska in June.

California Hwy 1 north of San Francisco north to Redwood State Park is not to be missed.

Noted you are going to the HD museum, you need to stop by Wheels Thru Time Museum in Maggie Valley, NC.

Personally I'd reconsider trying to see entire USA in one trip,
    Took me 50 years of riding to see all 50.
    BTW google the route to see all 48 Continental US states, interesting.
    Many have started in California and headed to Alaska then south thru Banif and Glacier, Yellowstone, Zion, loop thru Canyon Lands NP, Grand Canyon etc. and onward to Mexico, CA and SA.
    Just thinking outside to box, you're going to have a great trip regardless of route.

Check out www.rexbuck.com for interesting tips for riding Mexico,CA and SA

Safe Travels
  13. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    Howdy,
    I didn't read the whole thread, but if you're heading through West Yellowstone when I'm in the area, I'd be happy to host and/or go for a ride. Options will be severely limited depending on your arrival date as March snowfall has been epic. My neighbor just sent a photo of my house and it's buried. I always like riding into the Yellowstone early in the season when the roads over passes have to be plowed.
  14. lifetravelled

Oddometer:

Thanks,

We have not settled on a bike yet, both of those are strong options, it's more about what becomes available I'm LA over the next few weeks, so we will see.

What year Strom did u get?

Cheers

Josh
  15. lifetravelled

Oddometer:

Hi tricky,

Sounds great, where about a in NorCal are you?

Hope to see you on the road.

Cheers Josh
  16. lifetravelled

Oddometer:

Hi jonz,

Yeah we should be heading to Yellowstone.

That would be great we will be in touch closer to the date, thanks so much for offering.

Josh
  17. Telekinesis

Telekinesis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I got a 2004 - I think that generation is probably one of the best as far as value. Issues are pretty well known, good aftermarket support, very durable, and because it's not the newest thing on the market you can generally get them for a good price.

I like the newer v storms, but when I was looking at buying one, the 2004-2007s were about $3-4,000 and the newer models (with comparable mileage) were around $8,000. I didn't see enough advantage in the new generation to pay double.
  18. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
    Yeah I think all 3 gens have there benefits, it will be a matter of what's available and we will go from there.

Thanks Josh
  19. MountainsandRivers

MountainsandRivers loves dirty things!

Oddometer:
    If you end up in southwest Colorado, which has great twisty roads, incredible mountains and hot springs, I should be able to offer you a room in Telluride. PM me as you get closer or need regional advice.
  20. Asphalt Assault

Asphalt Assault Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Josh,

Just saw your PM in regards to the tent space. I still need to finalize my schedule but should be able to host you here in Orange County, California.

The trip looks amazing and it sounds like you are certainly doing your homework in advance. I did a similar smaller adventure of most of the National Parks you've listed and I would certainly recommend trying to hit all of them if possible. I'm happy to help with any planning or packing suggestions if you are looking for some resources.

Looking forward to having you out here!

-Scott