1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

We are doing it! Aussie couple's 12 month adventure through the Americas...

Discussion in 'Americas' started by lifetravelled, Jan 20, 2018.

1. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    We call our spot ‘the Compound’. It’s a walled acre on the edge of town. 1908 Grove Home, the previous owners sold all their surrounding 400 acres for a housing tract but kept one acre and the house! It’s my lifelong project since I retired in 2004......lots of sweat equity!
    High Country Herb and BLucare like this.
  2. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
  3. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    C4455E7A-E1A4-4032-8A7E-1B718070480F.jpeg EAD655D1-C331-452B-9A80-31A97D05583D.jpeg B65471AF-824C-4425-AD13-3E1C413E4009.jpeg Fortunately I have a motorcycle riding/loving wife as there are bikes all over!
    We've had over 40 International Travelers come through.
  4. Davidprej

Davidprej Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm just seeing this thread today. I noted that New Orleans and Houston are on your itinerary. A great stopping point in between would be Lafayette, LA, where I'm located. Extra bedroom and nice dinner on me if you can stop by. Mark me down for when the time comes.
    lifetravelled likes this.
  5. lifetravelled

lifetravelled Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    He did a great job with the bike, we are getting excited.

Thanks

Josh
    High Country Herb likes this.
  6. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
  7. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
    Hi all,

An update on where we at...

So our trip has began, and shortly I will post in trip reports, but for now while it's not motorbike related I might leave I here.

We had a crazy last week in Melbourne, we moved out of house and got it ready for tenants, who have now moved in which is a big relief.

We managed to store all our stuff with family so we are not paying for storage which is a bonus.

We tried to catch up with as much family and friends as possible and just organising lots of paperwork for home.

I only got one ride in even tho we had 8 days off work.... which was from our house to my mums where the bike will be store haha.

We have been away from home for 2 weeks now and it has been a much slower pace which has been nice.

More to come,

See you all soon

Josh and stef
    Davidprej, Richarde1605 and BLucare like this.
  8. lifetravelled

Oddometer:

Sounds great, I will let you know dates soon hopefully it will work out.

Thanks

Josh and stef
    Davidprej likes this.
  9. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    lifetravelled.......Stef and Josh have arrived at the tucker compound to collect Suzi Weestrom.
    There is a report started in 'epic rides' lifetravelled-hitting the road
  10. Rubinski

Rubinski Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  11. Rubinski

Oddometer:
    Hey David, I'm planning on being in NO June 10th or so. Do you know of any campgrounds that would be safe there? I'm from Phoenix and headed on a 14 day trip to Jacksonville Florida. I have been hearing how bad the crime rate is in NO, would hate to skip it because of the crime. Thanks for your input.
  12. RowBust

RowBust Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi,another Aussie here, looking to come to US soon. Would like to buy a 650 Strom, I've had 4 and clocked up over 1/2 million trouble free kms. Question is 12 or later or a new Royal Enfield Himalaya. The REH will have warranty but will parts be available when needed whereas the Strom parts should be everywhere. Could you give me your thoughts on this and would you be able to set me up.
  13. Terry & Janelle

Terry & Janelle Two Aussie riders planning a 3 month tour of USA

Oddometer:
    You need to meet Mr Tucker.
    Really you do. :)
    @TUCKERS
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  14. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Depends: Date of arrival? Budget? RE of course has limited dealers and you may well need the warranty. Suzuki has thousands of dealers and you’ll likely never use a warranty. Want to go slow and careful? OR. Want to ride fast with great abandon?
  15. currenv

currenv Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ann Arbor, MI and San Miguel de Allende MX
    I'd lean toward the Strom. You can probably find one from a reputable inmate here or over at the VStrom site. And if you have a problem, we inmates are all over the place and many will be able and willing to help with parts and repAirs, but you probably won't have any.

Vinnie

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
  16. Davidprej

Davidprej Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
    Crime in New Orleans is bad only is some spots, just like most other big cities. I wouldn't worry about it. I'm not personally familiar with any camp grounds, but you should be fine with any that Google recommends. Secure your stuff on the bike when you go into town, but other than that, enjoy.
  17. Rubinski

Oddometer:
    Thank you much!
    Davidprej likes this.
  18. Hedge

Hedge Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was hesitant to add my 2 cents but I 100% agree with James on gas. Every bike I have owned, every car I have owned runs or ran perfectly on regular 87 gasoline. The computer will reset itself to run accordingly with lower octane gas. I laugh when my Dodge Durango says below the gas cap "High Test Only" I run 87 and save the money for bills and the truck runs perfectly as does my 2014 Honda CB1100. Don't waste your money on any of the premiums it is just snake oil . . .
  19. Terry & Janelle

Terry & Janelle Two Aussie riders planning a 3 month tour of USA

Oddometer:
    My 2 cents worth.
    We've almost finished our 3 month lap of USA on 2 very heavily loaded VStrom 650s.

We've only ever used the cheapest furl available and had no problems whatsoever.

An Australian TV show called "The Checkout" did a piece on fuels a couple of years ago. It's well worth watching...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk