We are gone, another trip over a long distance (going RTW, back home for now)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Thomas B., Apr 24, 2016.

1. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to your trip!
  2. Thomas B.

Thomas B. desert racer

Oddometer:
    Still on the Ferry over the Bosborus.

[​IMG]

After arriving in Asia we headed to the Black Sea coast which we would follow more or less until the eastern end.

The first day on the coast was uneventful and a bit boring. But the second day from Caycuma to Sinop was a blast. Following the D010 was just brilliant. One turn after the other the whole day and spectacular views along the coast.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    scudo and jorrie like this.
  3. Thomas B.

Thomas B. desert racer

Oddometer:
    After it sartetd to rain we called it a day and spend the afternoon in a Hotel working on the Laptop.

Making some afternoon tea in the bathroom.
    [​IMG]

Reaching the eastern end of the Black Sea we arrived in the first new to us country of the trip. Georgia. The boarder went quit well apart from Sandra having to go through a truck x-ray with her bike for some reason. Everyone standing around was laughing and shaking their heads.

In Batumi, the first big town, we stayed two nights. I needed time to look after my bike that was not running like it should. Fuel consumption too high and stalling in some situations. We had a stroll through town in the afternoon that was nice. Beachfront, skyscrapers, and the old town.

[​IMG]
  4. Thomas B.

Thomas B. desert racer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then it was time to Mount our fake number plates a friend made for us and send our official ones home. No more taxes, no more insurane to pay at home

[​IMG]

You know you arrived in the former USSR when the toilet paper Looks like this and is tough on your backside.

[​IMG]
  5. Thomas B.

Thomas B. desert racer

Oddometer:
    Reaching Kutaisi we visited some old monasteries and fight with the ATMs that don´t want to give us money for our Cards.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The way to Armenia went over a high plateau. We climbed up to 2150m above sea level and that is about where the border post was. We checked out of Georgia and tried to get in to Armenia, but at one point they demanded money and more than we thought was right and were willing to pay. So we went back to Georgia.

After staying a day in Tiflis we decided to give Armenia a second try and went to another border post.

Over 2000m on the way to Armenia

[​IMG]
  6. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Amazing paintings in the monastery.

Have you sorted the fuel consumption yet or still just pooring it in?
  7. Thomas B.

Thomas B. desert racer

Oddometer:
    Hi dazzadm,
    unfortunatly not yet. I´m still working on it. So just filling up more often.
    Cheers Thomas
  8. Thomas B.

Thomas B. desert racer

Oddometer:
    Hi guys,
    we are sitting in a Hotel in Qarshi, Usbekistan, at the Moment and have the first half way decent Internet since weeks.
    So I thought I could give you a post. Wrong. I cannot upload anything. Always an ERROR apearing.
    I´ll try again in the evening and see if I´m lucky.
    Cheers Thomas
    Kurare79 and Piney Pete like this.
  9. Thomas B.

Thomas B. desert racer

Oddometer:
    The next border post was much nearer to what was ok. It was actually spot on to what we had read. So we were in Armenia now. The country made a poorer impression especially in the countryside. We headed into the mountains to a big lake at around 2000 m. The weather was great but on the cool side. My bike was running poorly at this height and I struggled a bit at the uphill parts. (And I still couldn´t find the cause). In the evening I exchanged the cdi-unit just to be sure it was ok. No difference.

On our way to Tatev we tried to get over the mountains on a small gravel road we found on the map. It was a beautiful drive until we came to a mining site and 3 men stopped us telling us the tunnel up ahead was blocked. You can´t always win.

After a high pass that we crossed in sunshine, we saw clouds hanging in the valley where Tatev was lying. Minutes later, we dove into the thick fog and could hardly see the car driving in front of us. Tatev and the monastery we wanted to visit where also in the middle of the clouds and it didn´t look as if it would get better. While looking at the buildings the sun came out a little and so we started walking to a viewpoint hoping for the better. Then we got lucky. For a couple of minutes the clouds moved out and gave way to the spectacular setting of the monastery on a cliff over the valley.
    Lost Cartographer and scudo like this.
  10. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Thomas, do you have a fuel pump on your bikes? If so you could have an issue with a leaky diaphragm in the pump which would allow fuel to bypass the carb and go directly to the intake..
  11. Thomas B.

Thomas B. desert racer

Oddometer:
    Cafe by the lake

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Driving along the lake

[​IMG]

High up in the mountains

[​IMG]
  12. Thomas B.

Thomas B. desert racer

Oddometer:
    Hi Gunnerbuck,
    we do have fuelpumps on our bikes.
    Do I get it right? You think fuel could go over the pressure line directly into the cylinder head if I have a leak in the diaphragm. But would that get worse in bigger hights?
    Thanks for your thoughts.
    Cheers Thomas
    danisOTR likes this.
  13. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    "Thomas B., post: 29609877, member: 155590"]Hi Gunnerbuck,
    we do have fuelpumps on our bikes.
    Do I get it right? You think fuel could go over the pressure line directly into the cylinder head if I have a leak in the diaphragm. But would that get worse in bigger hights?
    Thanks for your thoughts.
    Cheers Thomas[/QUOTE]

Absolutely, if you have a pump diaphragm leak it causes a rich condition and when you gain elevation the problem will get worse... I recently worked on a 640 that had this very issue, after installing a fuel pump rebuild kit the bike ran perfect... If you don't have a rebuild kit you could try bypassing the pump and run the line from the gas tank directly to the carb and see if things improve... You will not be able to access the last 8-10 liters of fuel from the tank if you go gravity feed..
    FlyingPenguin likes this.
  14. Thomas B.

Thomas B. desert racer

Oddometer:
    Absolutely, if you have a pump diaphragm leak it causes a rich condition and when you gain elevation the problem will get worse... I recently worked on a 640 that had this very issue, after installing a fuel pump rebuild kit the bike ran perfect... If you don't have a rebuild kit you could try bypassing the pump and run the line from the gas tank directly to the carb and see if things improve... You will not be able to access the last 8-10 liters of fuel from the tank if you go gravity feed..[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the answer. I actually did overgo the pump allready and there was no difference, but Iwasn´t in big hights then. I might have to try it again.

A brand new carb I found on eBay in Germany for only 150$ just arrived at the swiss embassy today (I havn´t picked it up yet) in Dushanbe, Tajikistan after only 3 days. Really super fast DHL. So now I have some more Options to eliminate the Problem. Fingers crossed.

Cheers Thomas
  15. Thomas B.

Thomas B. desert racer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Trying to go over the mountains

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Little work in the evening, changing the CDI

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. Thomas B.

Thomas B. desert racer

Oddometer:
    Hi Gunnerbuck,
    took the fuel pump aou today. Just to check. The line that goes to the head was dry.
    What do you think: I blew into the inlet of this hose and could hear the diaphragm move over but no air came out of the fuel line connections. I could only blow with my mouth. Does this test say enough to be sure everything works?
    I would hate to take the pump apart as I don^t have spareparts. Ist the old pump, no parts available.
    Your, or anyone elses opinion please
    cheers thomas
    Tuna209 and Grynch like this.
  17. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    To be sure it is not the pump, just hook the line directly from your tank to the carb, in effect bypassing the pump... You then can see if things improve, or stay the same without tearing down the pump...
  18. Thomas B.

Thomas B. desert racer

Oddometer:
    Tatev in the Clouds

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the Clouds went away

[​IMG]

You know your not at home when the entrance to your guest house Looks like this:

[​IMG]
  19. german996

german996 to infinity and beyond....

Oddometer:
    Love the RR , hope you can find the source of your poor running condition.....
  20. Thomas B.

Thomas B. desert racer

Oddometer:
    In Erivan we found a hotel that said we could but the bikes into the small courtyard behind a locked door. After a tight fit through the door, down a step and around a sharp turn I was standing surrounded by walls and the KTM was making quit some noise. It was then when I realized that behind the one glass front a church service was being held. I shut down the engine immediately and did the rest of the maneuvering by hand. (Maybe with a red head.)

Back in Tiflis it was time for the first bike maintenance of the trip. Good oil was easily found (strangely by a big car dealer), but they didn´t want to let me change it in their workshop. Driving back to the hostel we spotted some small dark garages where people were working on cars. I pulled over and asked if I could change our oil there. After they understood that I was bringing the oil and wanted to do the work myself I was guided to an empty spot, given a pan to drain the oil, and offered help if I needed some. After the work was done, we were waved good bye and no money was excepted.

on the way

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And another church

[​IMG]

Snack on the way - filled peach - very tasty

[​IMG]

Hellenistic tempel turn into a residence for the king.

[​IMG]