We are gone, another trip over a long distance (going RTW, back home for now)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Thomas B., Apr 24, 2016.

1. Thomas B.

Thomas B. desert racer

Oddometer:
    Hello yamalama and all you guys who replied to my bike Problems,

I tried everything I could think of and everything all of you suggested. Gunnerbuck (hope you read this) had a good idea.
    I did take the fuel pump apart and found this

[​IMG]

There was a hole in the diaphragm so small that I could only fit the tip of a needle through it. (took a while to find it)
    I sealed that with a thin layer of glue on each side.
    Then I put the new carb into my bike and I hoped the Problems were history.
    Still on the Pamir Highway some dayslater it started again. I was clueless.
    Just to be sure it was a carb Problem I swapped Sandra´s and my carb a couple of days later.
    And believe it or not: We never had a Problem again.
    I still have this bad Feeling in the back of my head, but we made it to Magadan thousands of KM away and the bikes are running as they should.

thank you all for your ideas and help.

Cheers Thomas
    Fat Toney, NaMi, scudo and 3 others like this.
  2. Thomas B.

Thomas B. desert racer

Oddometer:
    since Internet is not that bad - here a bit more:

In Khorog we had break for I had to work on the bikes.
    In the afternoon a camera-Team showed up and asked if we could say something about our travels in Tadjikistan.
    So we did

[​IMG]

Here was the turnoff into the Wakan valley. The fantastic landscape of the Pamir highway went on leading us into a green and wider valley with high mountains on each side. The eyes could just not get enough. We bumped into Joris, a dutch on an Africa twin, we had met before several times and decided to camp together that night. In the valley it is hard to find a suitable spot so when the sign to a fort showed up we decided to give it a try. And above the village and even the fort we found a halfway even spot for 2 tents at 3200 m with a stunning view.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some Fotos from the ride through the Wakan valley

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. Thomas B.

Thomas B. desert racer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the morning Joris left bevor us and we said we would meet on the way. And we met him again with a dry twin. He had run out of fuel as the twin was using enormous amounts of it. We used a water bottle to give him a few liters and drove behind him to Murgab to be sure he made it.

giving Joris some fuel. Always good to have big tanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In Murgab we found some men in funny hats that sold fuel an went to fill the bikes.

[​IMG]

Lenin is still everywhere.

[​IMG]
  4. Thomas B.

Thomas B. desert racer

Oddometer:
    The next morning we woke up to grey skies and showers every now and then and decided to stay another night as we didn´t want to miss the views because of the low hanging clouds. That was not what we came for. We wanted the views.

down town Murgab

[​IMG]

more men with funny hats

[​IMG]

The Kids were interested in us

[​IMG]

street in Murgab

[​IMG]
  5. Thomas B.

Thomas B. desert racer

Oddometer:
    buying some fruit on the market

[​IMG]

And the morning after that the sky was blue and we set off for a beautiful day. The mountains were raising their peaks up high and the roads and tracks were good ridable. We made good progress over the last high pass and passing lake Karakul. Then it went all the way down to the kirgis border.

Meeting some other bikers on the way

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lake karakul in the distance at 3900 m Elevation

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was our route in Tadjikistan

[​IMG]
  6. Nickhob

Nickhob Armchair adventurer

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap:clap
  7. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    The scenery is amazing. Thanks for posting.:clap The map is great.
    yokesman likes this.
  8. Thomas B.

Thomas B. desert racer

Oddometer:
    Thank you all for your comments. It´s raining today and maybe I´ll go ahead a bit. Here is the first part:

At the border the tajik side went fast and easy. The kirgis side was a bit more complicated. Imagine a very small border, with 3 persons, and nobody else and nothing else around for many many kilometers. All went well until we were supposed to pay some small fee for something. Not much money, but we were to pay in kirgis money, which we of course didn´t have just arriving at the border. Long discussions followed about that there is no bank or ATM at the border and paying in dollars and we should have gotten kirgis money before coming to the border… And then Joris who was with us lost his temper and said something like: f..k the system. That was a big mistake. The boss of the 3 took it very personally and started yelling around and although Joris apologized he wouldn´t calm down. This all took some time. Then after we had agreed that we could pay in dollars, the stamp we needed in our passports was missing. The guy that had it was in the next village and had to come and bring it. So we waited some more. At least the angry boss had left. At last everything was done and we rolled towards Sari Tash for the night. Little did we know about the surprise that was waiting for us. Just before the village there was a road block and we were stopped. Our friend the boss was waiting for us and said we had to be searched. They even brought out dogs to do some sniffing. Sandra and I only had to open one bag to let the dog put his nose in, but Joris had to lay out everything on the street and the boss let the dogs go over it and he even filmed it with his mobile. Then he even had to go through some interrogation bevor we were allowed to go on. That all was totally unnecessary, but it’s over and only took about 2 hours. In Sari Tash we found a small homestay where we could spend the night.

Colorfull homestay in Sari Tash

[​IMG]

You know your not at home anymore when the toilet Looks like this:

[​IMG]

Morning view of the mountains we came from.

[​IMG]
  9. Thomas B.

Thomas B. desert racer

Oddometer:
    We parted ways with Joris and left the town on the way to Osh. The ride was nice, but not as spectacular as the days before.

[​IMG]

Osh from a sacred hill.

[​IMG]

In the guest house we stayed in we met some other travelers and agreed on making spaghetti together in the evening.

Sandra getting some meat for the bolognaise.

[​IMG]
    NaMi, scudo and forgorin like this.
  10. Thomas B.

Thomas B. desert racer

Oddometer:
    On our ride from Osh to Bishkek I had a bad day. It was in the afternoon already when we were driving through some village on the way. I was doing the allowed 60 km/h and was about to pass a Land Cruiser that was parked on the right side of the road when a mini bus came out from behind it without looking or stopping. I almost made it around the mini bus but my right side bag still hit the bus. That knocked me out of balance and send me sliding down the road on my left side. Going down with 60 you slide quite a bit and my only thought was not to go under the oncoming truck. Luckily I came to a stop on my side of the road and was glad I could immediately jump up without pain. Klim had done a good job by damping the fall and keeping the tarmac from my skin during the slide but now my Jacket and pants had several holes and was not waterproof anymore. The bike itself was completely unharmed apart from a few scratches on the left handguard and fired up right away. The side bags didn´t look that good. The right one was torn off from the bus and was lying in the middle of the road and the left one was burnt and had holes from the slide. The first thing that I saw when I got up and looked back was that the mini bus was still standing there but took off as soon as I was on my feet. Then some police (not in uniform) showed up and said we would have to come to the police station to report the accident. Long story short: we spend a whole day with the police, they found the mini bus driver, but nothing else happened. What can you expect in countries like these.

Burnt side bag with holes

[​IMG]

torn off bag

[​IMG]

pants with several holes

[​IMG]
  11. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good to see your were lucky not to get injured.:knary

What was the main meat there? It looks like sheep? The butchery looks nice and clean.​
  12. Thomas B.

Thomas B. desert racer

Oddometer:
    Tell me about it. You can believe I was glad!
    Sandra says the meat to the right of her head was Beef. What is on the left side was mutton. Yes it was very clean (and nobody got sick:))
  13. tradex56

tradex56 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :clapgreat trip !!!!! Wonderful !:lurkI look even if you can.
  14. Thomas B.

Thomas B. desert racer

Oddometer:
    After all this drama we only wanted to get out of there and so we left late in the afternoon just to look for a hotel a bit up the road. We just checked into an elsewise empty hotel as it started to rain and so we spend the evening trying to think of something else over a couple of beers in the restaurant. Riding in beautiful sunshine to the pass in front of us it was cold the next morning. When we reached the top, the mountains were covered with snow from the night before, but the streets had no ice.

[​IMG]
  15. Thomas B.

Thomas B. desert racer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dshingis Khan is erverywhere

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We stopped at a small Restaurant to warm up and have breakfast

[​IMG]
  16. richamor

richamor like that when I got here

Oddometer:
    wow!! One fantastic photo after the other. More please:clap:clap

Travel safe.
  17. Peter640

Peter640 Peter 640

Oddometer:
    Great RR amazing country and experiences

Peter
  18. KLRalph

KLRalph Because KTMalph sounds funny

Oddometer:
    Subscribed! What a epic adventure. I'm curious what languages you speak and which you've used most often to communicate with the locals.

Best wishes and keep posting.
  19. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Your riding some very nice country, your photos are outstanding... Looking forward to more pictures..
  20. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    You know you're in another country when.... there's no seats in the restaurant.

Traveling from Osh to Bishkek, did you stick to the main route (M41 according to Google)? Looks like some amazing country to be riding through.
    juno likes this.