We are gone, another trip over a long distance (going RTW, back home for now)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Thomas B., Apr 24, 2016.

1. RhinoVonHawkrider

RhinoVonHawkrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great Stuff Thomas - but please stop crashing the moto.

Safe travels

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
  2. Thomas B.

Thomas B. desert racer

Oddometer:
    Thanks richamor. with all the amazing scenery ist hard to take bad Pictures. And more will be coming. Stay tuned.

the countries really are worth a Travel. glad to have gone there.

Well KLRalph, it´s mostly a Little english and sign language. Sandra even learned some russian that helps sometimes.

Thanks for the flowers Gunnerbuck. More is to come. And thanks for your help with my KTM questions. Much apreciated.

I think we mainly took the M1, but I´m not sure. I have to check.
    After the Crash we were not so much in the mood to look at much more.

Thanks and I try to Keep the wheels down but every once in a while sh.. happens.
    dazzadm and Peter640 like this.
  3. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:

If your travels bring you to Vancouver Island be sure to stop by for a coffee and some motorcycle chat...
  4. Wierdrider

Wierdrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What a brilliant journey, thanks for taking the time to share!
    Be safe.
  5. Thomas B.

Thomas B. desert racer

Oddometer:
    Well Gunnerbuck, to be honest, our bikes are in a Container on their way to Vancouver. They should arrive by the second half of october. I´ll send you a PM when we are in Vancouver and we can maybe arrange something. Would be nice to meet you.
    Thomas
  6. Thomas B.

Thomas B. desert racer

Oddometer:
    It is my pleasure, wierdrider, althought it does take time.
  7. Wierdrider

Oddometer:
    If you come to San Diego, we have a local group, ( SDAR ) that would love to hear some stories, and possibly someone to put you up.
    Enjoy,
    Jim
    image.jpeg
    Paul in Colo likes this.
  8. Thomas B.

Thomas B. desert racer

Oddometer:
    Well Wierdrider, we´ll Keep that in mind if we pass through San Diego. We will probably spend some time in the US in the coming year, but we don´t know where yet. I´ll get in touch if we get Close.
  9. Thomas B.

Thomas B. desert racer

Oddometer:
    We stopped at a small restaurant to warm up with a tea. The lady insisted we have breakfast, but we hardly had any cash left. We showed her our last coins, she took them, and made us some eggs with bread which was very nice. Dropping to lower elevations it warmed up quickly and the riding was nice. We headed to Bishkek and to a guesthouse run by a French man. He turned out to be one of the most helpful persons on this trip. After he heard of my fall he looked at all the damage and came up with an old bag out of rough material that we could use. Then I emptied my damaged bags and Sandra and he took off to a guy with a machine that could sow everything together again. It worked quite well. For the holes in my riding gear he suggested to use silicon mixed with white spirit until it becomes a nice paste that can be applied with a brush. That worked well too and up to date I am dry when it rains.

[​IMG]

old Urals in the Yard of the frenchman.

[​IMG]

After Kirgistan we crossed into Kasachstan again and made a bit of a run for Russia and the Altai mountains. We wanted to spend one or two days there and relax, but on the evening of our arrival Sandra by chance found out that after the following day the Mongolian border would be closed for almost a week due to weekend and holidays. We didn´t want to wait that long and decided to try to get into Mongolia the next day. We got up early and were on the bikes by 6:00. It was a nice ride. The streets were empty until around 10:00 and the landscape was fantastic. We made good progress and reached the border around noon. First the russian side went fast until they found out that we didn´t have a customs paper the Kasachs should have given us. There was some yelling at us, but in the end the lady typed something into her computer and then she let us go. On the Mongolian side there was a long row of vehicles waiting there. As always, we tried our luck and went to the front hoping to get through fast as tourists. But this time the border guard send us back to the end of the row. There we met a Russian truck driver again that we had met at the border into Russia already. Seeing us come from the front he asked what was wrong and after hearing we had been send back he took Sandra, went to the front with her, and talked to the border guards. We don´t know what he told them, but we were allowed to go to the front again and were let through with the next batch. It was evening already when we finally got on the bike and headed to Ölgi, the first town in Mongolia.

first night in Mongolia sleeping in a Ger-camp

[​IMG]

Ölgii was not a nice place. The town was infested with little very annoying flies and mosquitos. We still had to spend some days there to get ready. First I had to change the tires we had been carrying since Almaty. The Mitas e-07 had done very good and the rear was only half gone after 14000 km. But now I wanted something more aggressive. Mitas E-09 was our choice. Then we did some route planning and headed out north. It was on the first day in the afternoon we reached our first river. I walked it to see how deep it was. The depth was ok, but the current was quite strong. We decided to walk the bikes through. As we were there a local in a 4x4 came and told us that the river had 4 arms and the last one was the deepest. Let’s give it a try we thought and went through the first one which went well, but it was tiring. When we reached the 4th arm we saw what the local meant. There was a truck standing in the river that had lost its trailer a couple of meters back but couldn´t get out anymore. We walked part of the river to an island and up and down looking for a shallower place with less current, but in the end we had to give up. It was just too risky. So we went back again. It was getting late and we looked for a place to camp. There were dark clouds around us, but some sunshine as well. And the flies were here too. The whole north seemed to be full of them. Everywhere you stopped, they were in your face. We got out our mosi-head-nets so it was bearable. After a meal and some tea, we went inside the tent to recover from the hardship of the day. During the night we were hit by a massif thunderstorm. Not a nice feeling in a small tent with the lightning around you. The next day we went back to Ölgii for a night.

Heading out for a northern route.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. Thomas B.

Thomas B. desert racer

Oddometer:
    While riding along we got stopped by some locals that were having a break a side the track. We were fed with Snacks and tea and of Course asked where we were from an where we were going.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

checking out the first river part

[​IMG]

spending the night with rain Clouds around

[​IMG]
  11. Thomas B.

Thomas B. desert racer

Oddometer:
    . During lunch we met a local that spoke very good English. He told us that it had been raining a lot the last days and that the rivers were high in the north and in the south. On the southern route even parts of the road had been washed away. They even brought reports on it in the news on tv. To avoid rivers he suggested to go south to Kovd and then take routes through the middle as there was not much water there. So to Kovd we went the next day. Even on this main route there was a river to cross (although the local had said there was none) and there was a big truck stuck in the mud of the river bank. It must have rained a lot.

[​IMG]

Rivercrossing on the way to Kovd

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

on the way to Kovd

[​IMG]
  12. Thomas B.

Thomas B. desert racer

Oddometer:
    In Kovd another local asked us where we were from as we were parking the bikes in front of a restaurant. We asked him if he knew how the tracks in the middle of the country were and if it had rained a lot there too. He asked if we had a map because he wanted to show us where it was good to go. He came into the restaurant with us and recommended a track that wasn´t on our map, but was easy to find. He was a horse breeder in the region we wanted to go and knew the track well he said. It sounded good and we decided to try it. After fueling up our capacity of 47 l/bike we headed out the next morning. The track was full of different landscapes. We started off with dry desert in form of large flat gravel flats with fast riding. Then we reached the north end of a lake where it became sandy with green vegetation along the water. We saw big camel herds, went through hills, and in the afternoon reached a big river that we followed south.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. Thomas B.

Thomas B. desert racer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Little creatures on the way

[​IMG]

Camping with a view on the dunes

[​IMG]
    flying.moto, ElJorgio, NaMi and 6 others like this.
  14. Thomas B.

Thomas B. desert racer

Oddometer:
    There were dunes on the other side of the river that went on for many many kilometers. Leaving the river it became more mountainous and the grass that covered them was green. For many hours we followed 2-tracks that we could see for miles up and down the mountain side until they went over a pass in the distance. The riding was enjoyable and we didn´t meet anyone for hours. On the second afternoon the sky turned dark and it looked like it might rain.

[​IMG]

What every biker likes: washboard, what a joy

[​IMG]

Going up another pass

[​IMG]

going up another pass, following the tracks in the distance

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

doing some Shopping in a Village

[​IMG]

Camping in the wild

[​IMG]

taking a break with salted milk tea and fried dumplings for a breakfast.

[​IMG]

Lady making the dumplimgs

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the update. Intriguing pictures!
  16. Wierdrider

Oddometer:
    Thanks again for sharing, a brilliant ride you're having.
  17. Thomas B.

Thomas B. desert racer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, thanks for the words. It was a great time in Mongolia.
  18. Thomas B.

Thomas B. desert racer

Oddometer:
    We arrived in a town, ate something, had a short look at the hotel in town, found it overpriced, filled up our supplies (including beer and chips), and headed out to camp somewhere on the way. First the traffic was busy as we were on a mayor road, but once we took our turn off towards east it got better. We followed a river with lots of gers and cattle around them. It was kind of hard to find a hidden spot for the night, but we finally managed. There were some locals nearby, but nobody visited us.

In the morning we took off with only some tea for breakfast. Some time later we came through a village and found a small restaurant where the woman fried us some dumplings and gave us salty-butter-milk-tea. Good for a long day in the saddle. Coming out there were some locals checking out the bikes and we asked an English speaking one about our track. All seemed to be good.

Talking to the locals

[​IMG]

Sandra making new friends

[​IMG]

and then it was off into the mountains again

[​IMG]
  19. CanuckCharlie

CanuckCharlie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Spectacular ride report...safe travels!
  20. Oh2RideMore

Oh2RideMore Long timer

Oddometer:
    Loving this ride report. Epic pictures and adventure. Keep it up. Stay safe.