We are gone, another trip over a long distance (going RTW, now in South America)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Thomas B., Apr 24, 2016.

1. Luke1

Luke1 hopeful adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi, you’re trip looks amazing! How is it on the thumpers? Are you content with the bike size overall or would you recommend one of the big ones? Just after some advice! About to sell my sport bike and trip over to north and Central America!! Happy Christmas guys and keep up the good work!
  2. Thomas B.

Thomas B. desert racer

Oddometer:
    Hi Luke, the bike size for me depends on what I want to do. We like to get off the pavement as much as posible and the rougher the going gets there the more fun it is for me on a smaller bike. If you do mainly pavement a bigger bike is more comfortable and faster if you want that. If you are a strong guy you can do alot with a heavy bike, but on a lighter one it is just easier. Hope that helps a Little.
    Happy New Year
    Cheers Thomas
    Luke1 likes this.
  3. Thomas B.

Thomas B. desert racer

Oddometer:
    Had a nice inmate New Years evening yesterday. Steve (XR Valdeez) was with us and Mike (Lostmike) and his wife Meg arrived in El Calafate and joined us.
    Good times.

First dinner in our AirBnB

[​IMG]

and later in a bar

[​IMG]
  4. DunkingBird

DunkingBird Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks and have a good time :kbasa2

upload_2019-1-1_22-42-42.png
    my mothers creation

upload_2019-1-1_22-43-29.png
    my speciality

SLUGGO and Thomas B. like this.
  5. Luke1

Luke1 hopeful adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you very much! I think really both have pros and cons as we all know, I just want someone to tell me what to buy! enjoy your trip, I’ll be following!
  6. Thomas B.

Thomas B. desert racer

Oddometer:
    Well Luke you have to decide for yourself depending on size of the bike, the Money you want to spend, and personal preferences. Nobody can do that decision for you.
    Good to have you along for the ride.
  7. Thomas B.

Thomas B. desert racer

Oddometer:
    After our time was up in El Calafate we said good bye to Steve and headed towards Torres del Pain. We were not sure if we were going to ride through the park as it is a bit pricey and the weather forecast wasn´t good. When we came to the turnoff there were clouds, but not too low hanging so we rode towards the park entrance to look if we could see the mountains. And there they were. Not the best view, but good enough as it was supposed to rain the next day. The ride through the park was great, but it took a long time and we only made it to Puerto Natales at 5 in the evening after leaving at 8 in the morning. 4oo km, close to half of it gravel, a border crossing, and numerous photo stops. That takes time. The scenery was amazing and the ride was totally worth it.

scare Crows on the way. For what???

[​IMG]

still outside the park

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and inside

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Today is a restday.
    Mofrid, Yannick, XR Valdeez and 28 others like this.
  8. trailwerks

trailwerks Missing Two Wheels

Oddometer:
    Yes, resting from scenery overload! Wow!

BTW, Jennifer will be arriving in Puerto Natales today...…
    NMTrailboss likes this.
  9. NewmarketSTROM

NewmarketSTROM Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That is the grim reaper in that picture. It was there two years ago. We took it to be an omen of the wind and gravel conditions.
  10. Thomas B.

Thomas B. desert racer

Oddometer:
    Glad your still liking the photos. Just came back from town and didn´t see Jennifer. Maybe next time.

Who Needs an omen. The weather in Patagonia is Always good, there is never wind, and the roads are of best Quality. Was it different for you? :jack
    powderzone and skibum69 like this.
  11. trailwerks

trailwerks Missing Two Wheels

Oddometer:
    Just sent you a PM re: Jennifer
  12. RedHawk47

RedHawk47 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Those photos of Torres del Pain are really dramatic with those clouds! Good choice to go there then.
    Dan
    enduro0125 likes this.
  13. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Happy new year.
    The scenery is amazing. That lake looks mill pond calm....
  14. Thomas B.

Thomas B. desert racer

Oddometer:
    It was pure luck that we had the weather we had, but it turnes out to be good, allthough rain was thrreatening us a Little while there. And yes, nice dramatic!

Happy New Year to you too. Scenery was really spectaular and between the mountains not too windy.
    SLUGGO likes this.
  15. Thomas B.

Thomas B. desert racer

Oddometer:
    We had a good run to Punta Arenas yesterday although the wind was ferocious. Leaving Puerto Natales it was blowing strong already and it only got stronger, but we had tailwind from the side and the ride pretty relaxed. There were some stretches were we had it from the side and that meant fighting it, but from the whole 250 km we had to cover it was maybe all in all 30 km of fighting. Not bad. But almost no photos.

Art in Puerto Natales

[​IMG]

getting close to the end of the world - even the road sign says it

[​IMG]

we seem to like These photos - here a similar one from Russia going towards Magadan

[​IMG]

old rusting ship on the shore in Punta Arenas

[​IMG]

the Lord Lonsdale

[​IMG]
  16. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    here in the mojave desert we get strong winds all the time. i can feel your fighting the wind

happy to see you're moving along.
  17. btrrtlwtr

btrrtlwtr Adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Happy new year guys was there in 2017 have some of the same pix you have. Thx for the rr
    Great reliving the trip thru your rr

Rubber side down
    kind regards
    John
  18. Thomas B.

Thomas B. desert racer

Oddometer:
    I´m not a big friend of wind and I am for sure glad when we finally get out of it again, but that will been another couple of days of weeks. I didn´t know the mojave had such strong winds. Not a place for me.

Hey John, happy new year to you too. Down here the continent gets really narrow and everyone goes to the same places and has the same photos. I too look at RR from europe sometimes and see a lot of places I have been before and that brings back memories. I like that too. Good times
    Stay safe
    Thomas
  19. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    If it makes you feel any better it is pretty much always windy in Newfoundland. It is not uncommon for 100 kmh winds with our storms. We had a big blow not too long ago with sustained winds over 100 gusting as high as 170kmh. As a result there are quite a lot of trees blown down on my property.
  20. ozrockrat

ozrockrat Ozrockrat

Oddometer:
    It’s windy on Newfoundland because the mainland sucks. At least that’s what the locals told me when we lived up there for a while.
    roadcapDen and DunkingBird like this.