We are gone, another trip over a long distance (going RTW, now in South America)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Thomas B., Apr 24, 2016.

1. Thomas B.

Thomas B. desert racer

Oddometer:
    Going north some things changed. The wasteland all of a sudden turned into farmland and there were some trees. I mean real trees and in the evening my helmet was covered with bugs, the first time in months. We were getting north to wetter climates. We still tried to avoid the boring Ruta 3 and found some more gravel along the coast. There were even still more things to see along the way like sea lions and large amounts of parrots. Worth a stop. We felt like we needed a break – a longer break to recharge and decide the future. Sandra found us a very good (cheap) AirBnB in Buenos Aires for a month so we turned the throttle and headed there. Here we are now for a month and I already have a todo-list, but it can wait a couple of day until I get started on it.

We even passed through some dunes

[​IMG]

Long staight fast gravel roads

[​IMG]

sea lions bathing in the sun

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the coast we were going North on

[​IMG]

parrots

[​IMG]

at their houses

[​IMG]

thousands - the whole cliff was full of them

[​IMG]
  2. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town...

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    Sea Parrots.

Who knew?
  3. Thomas B.

Thomas B. desert racer

Oddometer:
    I don´t know if they are sea parrots. you can see them far away from the Ocean too. I didn´t Research. no idea.
  4. Thomas B.

Thomas B. desert racer

Oddometer:
    Our apartment is in San Isidro, that is not right in the middle of BA, so we did our first trip to the center of town yesterday by public transport. Saw some of the sights including the pink presidential palace on which’s balcony the Peron´s talked to the people, Madonna sang for the “Evita”-film, and even Maradona held the cup in the air after Argentina became football (soccer) world champion in 1986.

pink Palace

[​IMG]

nice Shopping mall

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

modern part of town

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    awesome pics of BA. love to see the city one day...i mean for a few weeks.
    Thomas B. likes this.
  6. Thomas B.

Thomas B. desert racer

Oddometer:
    I´ll try to get you some more photos when we go to town again. :-)
    NSFW and enduro0125 like this.
  7. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've walked that section by the water too
  8. Thomas B.

Thomas B. desert racer

Oddometer:
    We also found a good tap room down there :D
  9. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice!
  10. olderigetfasteriam

olderigetfasteriam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thomas, thanks for sharing all of this. Wear that taproom out!

Tom
  11. Thomas B.

Thomas B. desert racer

Oddometer:
    Your welcome.
    We wore it out some and I´m Looking Forward to the next visit! :D
  12. Thomas B.

Thomas B. desert racer

Oddometer:
    more photos of BA.

crumbling Building in San Telmo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

a couple Performing some Tango on a Plaza

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and we met Arjan (Normlas) and his girlfriend Lisa and another biker M´hamed for a nice evening as they were all in BA too.

[​IMG]
    Normlas, BillUA, SmilinJoe and 15 others like this.
  13. Thomas B.

Thomas B. desert racer

Oddometer:
    Had a busy day today. The bikes needed some attention. Our chains had been rattling for some time already and now they needed tightening twice in a couple of days also. That was a clear sign that they needed replacement. I had changed the chain and sprockets on Sandra´s bike the last time on Vancouver Island and on mine in Santa Fe, New Mexico. That is a long time ago and we have done thousands of miles on dirt during that time where I don´t lube the chains at all. Sandra did 44321 km and me 39600 km with that set. I think that is not bad. Not bad at all. Well worth their money.

getting Ready to work

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

old and new

[​IMG]

not bad for over 44000 km

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    do you use an oiler, sorry if this is a repeat question. If so which ?
  15. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Your doing pretty good on chain/sprocket life, the most I ever got was 22,000 KM and probably average around 15,000 KM out of a set...
  16. orv

orv Busted butt Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is fantastic duration! And in these parts, the old ones still look pretty darn good!
  17. Thomas B.

Thomas B. desert racer

Oddometer:
    Hi yokesman, we have Oilers on the bikes, but they are only cheap "press button" Oilers. 25 $US each called loobmann from the UK. For what they cost they work quite well. The press button tends to get stuck when doing alot of dirt as the oiler tends to attract dirt. Then you got to get it going again. We used to use it alot when on pavement (off pavement I don´t lube the chains at all). I put normal engine oil into the Oilers and found that going over 80 km/h it flys off Pretty fast. Under that it sticks well. So down in Argentina and Chile where you cannot find dirt everywhere you want to go (and on the Long straight stretches we did more than 80) I used a can of chain lube (that I bought in Mexico and another one XRValdeez gave me when he went home). It sticks a Little better and you don´t have to lube every day.
    I might get a better oiler once at home.
    yokesman and DunkingBird like this.
  18. Thomas B.

Thomas B. desert racer

Oddometer:
    Well David to be honest I was Pretty impressed with the life of the last sets. I never got that milage before. The sets before that lasted 29000 km on Sandra´s bike and 34000 km on mine and I just took mine off because I wanted Fresh chains and sprockets going south from Santa Fe. Traveling Long distances you do alot of rolling (even on dirt). Your not on the throttle the whole time and I guess that saves life. What wears down the sprockets I found is rideing in sand specially if your rear sprocket is in the sand when you start untill the wheels are on top of the sand. And mud is really bad on chain and sprockets, if it is thick and sticks to everything. We did thousands of kms of dirt in Baja and south america, but the dust doesn´t seem to bother chain and sprocket too much. We hardly had any rain so no mud.
    I have used different chains and sprockets in the past that didn´t last so Long. I have been using the same chain and sprockets for years now and will use Nothing else if I don´t have to.

So now everyone is asking themselves: what is he using? :-)

I use the DID VX2 chain. It is an older model and DID makes "better" chains, but I can get this model very cheap in europe and it last Pretty Long for what it Costs.
    Sprockets are from JT. Again there are longer Lasting ones, but I can get them really cheap and they have decent life.
    Searching the Internet you can sometimes get lucky. I found a parts shop that was Closing down and bought some chain sets for other bikes for 20 € a set. Threw the sprockets away and shortened the chain. Perfect.

I hope these sets last as Long too!
    Smidty, Geezerguy, Yannick and 3 others like this.
  19. Thomas B.

Thomas B. desert racer

Oddometer:
    Yes, I was really pleased. Your Right the sprockets didn´t look that bad, but I Always like to put on new ones with a new chain.
    yokesman likes this.
  20. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    When you speaking of the button getting clogged, I was thinkg of a marine starter switch I have, could also be a tractor switch?. It has a full rubber cover, may work on your oiler with a bit of fitting.I found that light weight scooter gear box oil holds to the chain fairly good also, comes in a little squirt bottle if the yamaha brand.