We better have a T700 thread, I 'spose

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Night Falcon, May 21, 2019.

1. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    My vstrom does 500km on a full tank...weighs about the same....cost 13k. :D
    Youtube is full of videos demonstrating how little of its capability i can or do actually use so i wont be buying any of them just yet. (Never say never!!)

Should i start a " we better have a 650xt thread I s'pose" thread???:rofl

Fuel...My drz400 does about 200kms if im lucky on its piddly little tank. As does the drz 250. $15 upgrade from Mitre10 fixed that problem. Well, $20 if you include the two cam straps i use to clag it onto the rack. I carried it full of gas from the Waikato to Otago and didn't have to use it.

On the subject of weight...if we are talking about serious touring then theres likely going to be around another 100kg added to the bike by the time you head out of your driveway so to my mind these three are the same weight.

They all look great to me... id have any of them.
    young1, glitch_oz, MrKiwi and 2 others like this.
  2. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    T700 looks great, looks and spec wise. Has that appeal that the klrs have to me.
    Night Falcon likes this.
  3. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    I wish i hadnt looked at those trademe ads....I think if those had been in the showrooms last chrissy Santa must just have delivered something else. I think at that price its going to put a big dent in normal price vstrom sales.

Have already rationalised that if i cut down to two bikes from three i could (maybe) afford it.

I sometimes think bikes are right up there with Class A drugs for addictiveness. I can already imagine myself looking at one at the kerb as i sip my trim flat white. Love the red and white colours but it really needs the signature yammy traintrack decal somewhere on it, imho.

Nice bike.
    Night Falcon and MrKiwi like this.
  4. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:
    some idle (ignorant) thoughts...

to my mind, comparing the pricing it looks to me like there is a glaring compromise somewhere. maybe ktm are knowingly gouging on price while they can but the only true proof of that is if they align to something closer to the yamaha when it reaches the floor.

for mine it would seem the t7 is heavier than it needs to be. have yamaha cheaped out on the welded steel cradle chassis? will it have shit/budget suspension? (not that ktm have covered themselves in glory with suspension quality recently). or maybe the electronics package for yamaha just isnt there? abs is a given but as for what else it might have? has yamaha amortised more of the r&d over the mt-07 than ktm has over the duke? so that leaves the missing 20-odd hp. yes, its down 100 and some cc but thats their choice. mr falcons spreadsheet didnt include specific hp outputs.

maybe theres a slight difference in the target markets for the respective design teams, but in a country the size of ours it wont make a pinch of shit difference.

regardless the merits of either bike, ktm have stolen a march on yamaha.

i’m not in the market for either but watching to see how this plays out. hopefully @Oscar will put his thoughts to his keyboard in due course
    oldbeer, Night Falcon and Manakau.KTM like this.
  5. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Broke Engine Supporter

Oddometer:
    As I understand it the T7 doesn't have much in the way of electronic rider aids and no TFT screen. Suspension won't be flash I wouldn't imagine but I doubt that'll mean much to most purchasers. As I said above, I think its competition is more 690/701 than 790R. It has about the same hp and price. Next to them it's weight becomes more significant, especially being centered so highly. It is probably being more aligned with the 790 because its not a single and weighs 205kgs.

I find it difficult to believe it will get close to 350 k's on a 16ltr tank when ridden by your average Kiwi adv rider on NZ roads ...but we'll see.

The 790 is being made in China from next year so it will be interesting to see what happens to the price and the quality.

At the end of the day, more bikes to choose from has to be a good thing IMO :D
    glitch_oz, oldbeer and MrKiwi like this.
  6. young1

young1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any idea when they will be in NZ?
  7. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    Trademe ad's say arriving December
    young1 likes this.
  8. Oscar

Oscar Master of the Universe! Supporter

Oddometer:

The nice man from KTM negated that stuff about CFMoto building 790's from next year.
    He said it would be a little difficult as they haven't started building the factory yet.
  9. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    and you believed him :fpalm I read it on the internet, so we know who's more likely to be right :wink:
  10. Oscar

Oscar Master of the Universe! Supporter

Oddometer:
    But you read what I said on the internet, too.
  11. MrKiwi

MrKiwi backwards & upsidedown Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    why would we do that.

oh wait :lol3
  12. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    is this the internet?
    oldbeer likes this.
  13. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    Re: the pricing difference. Yamaha deliberately made the T7 simpler and more rugged than the competition, which helped lower the price. Effectively they built what was necessary for adventure use and didn't over-complicate it.

I do like the multiple mounting points for the front guard so it can be raised for increased mud clearance. That's clever.
  14. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
  15. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    ...and hoooo-bloody-ray to that!
    As long as there's 2 wheels and a donk in the middle... t's all it takes to have FUN.
    Can play keyboard and watch TV after the real riding's done....

Round of applause...
    innathyzit, Mc107 and Muzz67 like this.
  16. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:
    from the same junket to spain, al fagan of the 44 teeth youtube channel had this to say

looks like its shaping up to be a pretty capable, no frills, no bs, value for money fun bike to ride.
    young1 and Night Falcon like this.
  17. painkilla

painkilla MeTaL HeD

Oddometer:
    at that price, sure to ruffle a few feathers, Iv seen second hand adventure bikes on trademe 10 years old with close to a 100000kn on the clock going for around 9-10K
    prior to the T7 you could get away for asking that, but not now!, unless you luck out with a clueless buyer.
  18. Phreaky Phil

Phreaky Phil Long timer

Oddometer:
    At $16995 they could well become the DR650 of the twin cylinder world. Not the most sofisticated or the best at anything, but reliable, capable of anything you can throw at it and cheap.
    innathyzit and Night Falcon like this.
  19. Whale Rider

Whale Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:

WR
    MrKiwi likes this.
  20. MrKiwi

MrKiwi backwards & upsidedown Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    the NZ launch is this Sunday afternoon at the Museum Hotel, Wellington. Three bikes will be there.

I might just poke my nose in for a bit.

The NZ distributor rang me and told me to get my butt on down to the launch. :lol3
    Manakau.KTM and Whale Rider like this.