We entered the Matrix, took the Red Pill, and ended up in a Shady place in Montana...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by ShadyRascal, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Lee C

Lee C Long timer

Oddometer:
    MaddBrit and Duckworth like this.
  2. Duckworth

Duckworth Taking the high road

Oddometer:
    I only needed three shims. Ironically, that was the easiest part of the job. Next time should be quicker.
  3. Project84

Project84 I can haz adventure?

Oddometer:
    When I was nervous about mine (1050) and calling shops for the Shady trip, I was quoted anywhere from $440 to CHECK the valves (with feeler gauges, not actually adjusting anything) on up to $1200 for "check and adjust as needed" which could've meant paying $1,200 when nothing was actually needed. The shims for mine are UNDER the buckets and cost $8.81 ea.

When pressed to give a price on a full 24k service workup, I could've bought a new bike for what they wanted to flush brakes, flush coolant, grease headstock, change fork oil and adjust valves.

I'll be doing mine this fall if I decide on keeping the bike. Before the trip I got deep enough to do a compression test so I've BTDT about 80% of the way now. It's no fun!

A little tip for all those hundreds of allen head fasteners.... use either an air ratchet to zip them out or buy yourself some kind of handheld power ratchet. I have an old discontinued one that I would give my left arm for if I ever lost it. It's my favorite tool, by FAR.

To my knowledge, there is nothing else like it on the market and it was discontinued some 6+ years ago. If you ever see one, BUY IT. Best tool I've ever owned.
    [​IMG]

Alan, good on you for tackling such a big job, man. I'm intimidated as hell to pull the cams on mine.

FYI - I bought an extra can chain tensioner spring and I wouldn't mind sending it to you at cost if you want or need it. I went through Sprint Manufacturing and waited 3 weeks for them to come through customs from the motherland.
    Duckworth likes this.
  4. TigerLilly

TigerLilly WGTOWWD/G

Oddometer:
    Yup...I'm in Idaho :lol3
    image.jpeg

Playing in the river and drinking beer this afternoon, gigging tonight, and hit the road tomorrow. With a little luck I'll be home Sunday. Looking forward to it. I'm exhausted!
    CamoGreg likes this.
  5. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
    When I think "gigging", I think of frogs.
    TigerLilly likes this.
  6. Blakebird

Blakebird r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer:
    and you only have to do it every 32,000 miles - one of my favorite parts of owning a GL1800 :nod
    MaddBrit likes this.
  7. rg500

rg500 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Be careful with these, or any powered ratchet. I use a tee handleld wrench for most of my wrenching. You can feel much, much better. If the fastener is gonna break coming out, you can sense it.
    Same as going in, if you feel some resistance, stop and check.
    And you can spin a tee handled wrench really fast....just my experience
    AKjeff and TigerLilly like this.
  8. MaddBrit

MaddBrit Now officially a Yank.

Oddometer:
    Damn you TL.

upload_2016-7-15_21-23-55.png

I cant find it anywhere in the DFW...
    TigerLilly likes this.
  9. Blakebird

Blakebird r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer:
    MaddBrit likes this.
  10. Duckworth

Duckworth Taking the high road

Oddometer:
    I saw some in my local liquor store, but went with the Bulleit rye instead.
  11. MaddBrit

Oddometer:
  12. TigerLilly

TigerLilly WGTOWWD/G

Oddometer:
    For @pilot ...gigging. Tonight at the Bear Bottom in MacKay Idaho. No frogs but we had a great time and they fed us BBQ smoked ribs. :dukegirl And beer...lotsa beer :drinkI really dig this little town.
    image.jpeg

This is the last official party night of the trip (and believe me there have been some epic ones). Two days of driving and I'm home. Looking forward to it.

The traveling musicians who've been staying in my house posted that they were on an espresso fueled cleaning spree in my house. :wings Cleaning is difficult for me because I'm an orthopedic nightmare. This is the best gift they could possibly give me. I have great friends. This trip has been an incredible experience connecting with so many people. Wow!

And I'm fucking exhausted...:jinx
    spokester, ER70S-2, HardCase and 6 others like this.
  13. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
    That looks far more civilized than wading bare foot in farm ponds at night. :lol3
    TigerLilly likes this.
  14. TigerLilly

TigerLilly WGTOWWD/G

Oddometer:
    Home at last. The final horse is back in the barn.

The house sitters "cleaned" the place before they left. What a disaster. I appreciate their efforts and know they had nothing but good intentions but they have just created a whole lot more work for me. Stainless steel appliances wiped down with a soapy greasy rag, floor to ceiling patio doors wiped with same rag. My beautifully seasoned wok has been scraped down to bare metal and put away wet. It is now a lovely steel bowl of rust. Broken dishes, broken pots, and torn hot tub cover. There's so much more but you get the gist. Oh well. I was happy to help them out but you can bet there will not be a next time. You'd think if you relied on the kindness of others you would be a bit more mindful of how you treat their space. Lesson learned.

But it's great to be home. The traveling has taken its toll so I'm embarking on an awesomeness program. Quit drinking, whole 30 diet, and back to the gym and yoga. It feels good to focus on health again. It's been an epic road trip and I am so grateful I got to meet so many of you guys. You're good peeps and I'm proud to know you. Thanks especially to Shady for his hospitality and friendship.

Writing this from the patio. Garden is coming along but needs a little TLC. Ahhhhh...
    image.jpg

See you all in the RP thread. :D
    HardCase, spokester, timk519 and 3 others like this.
  15. ShadyRascal

ShadyRascal Master of None

Oddometer:
    My house sitter left the place all nice, and a half bottle of rye for me :clap
    Umpire, CamoGreg and TigerLilly like this.
  16. XKV8

XKV8 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad everyone finally made it home safe and sound. I've enjoyed hearing and seeing your travels. I've decided that even after sharing Camogreg's and Tigerlilly's journeys "home", then Home, nobody can "mosey" like Nordo. Stops to take a siesta fifteen miles from home. There's a guy who is a slave to no timepiece. Envy.
    AKjeff, ROAD DAMAGE, HardCase and 5 others like this.
  17. Santa

Santa Focused on the Future

Oddometer:
    I managed to salvage a few remaining photos of the trip home.
    Things are not so good lately, I'm feeling somewhat down and computer issues have not helped.
    Here's what I could salvage of our ride back to Cali. Better late than never eh?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was a pleasure meeting all the attendees of this event.
    All my life I have felt like an outsider, one that never really fit in.
    This event was diffferent thanks to all of you.
    I hope our paths can once again cross.

Looking back I now feel that this trip marked a turning point for me.
    I feel that I am moving in a positive direction with my life, something I have not been able to say in a long time.

Last but not least, a big thanks to Steve, our gracious host.
    Awesome job man.

[​IMG]
  18. MaddBrit

Oddometer:
    Great pics, Glen!

:clap

Great catching up as well. Been too long...
  19. ShadyRascal

Oddometer:
    Glen, you fit in more than well with us FF's. It was a joy having you here and in our conversations; you're a quality guy and I hope our paths again do cross. Thanks again for making the trek here!

SR
  20. ShadyRascal

Oddometer: