We really need a 2 stroke page

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by Shocktower, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Abdelhub

Abdelhub Blanco Trasho

Oddometer:
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HET2SmTzzN0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mike
  2. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    That RZ would cost me my license about as quick as my Superduke. :lol3
  3. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    Oh BTW, I haven't been here for sometime. Figure everybody's got to chime in. But I wanted to say, "Make sure you call it the '2 Smker' page or something. I always think that's funny." :freaky
  4. dougfromindy

dougfromindy I smell premix

Oddometer:
    +1
    Here is a great video that shows you why I have a 98 Honda Cr500 and a 98 KTM 380 in my collection:
    Great wintertime 2T action:
    http://youtu.be/lEYDXDvSEcU
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  5. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ah yes the two stroke.
    My first ride on a motorcycle was on a M-B 50 Harley - Davidson. A hand shift 3 speed.

In high school I hadn't owned a running bike for a while then, Kevin let me have a go on his Yamaha DT 360. It went but, was vibey.

Doug needed a place to store his Bultaco 125 Pursang. O.K. , Doug you can bring it out to the farm and I'll watch it for you. And keep the soot blown out with an occaisonal blat .

A couple of years beyond H.S. I owned a TM 400 Suzuki. A tough , all or nothing motor in a spagetti frame that broke time after time .

When I was in my early 20's I rebuilt my cousin's H-2 Kawasaki . He had 6 bend pullbacks and a sissy bar on it you could sit on the seat leaned back on the padded sissy bar and pull wheelies by rolling on the throttle.

I have a Yamaha QT moped that I drilled 2 holes in the muffler. It will outrun all the other QT's I know of and people get out of the way at the swap meets because it sounds like a race bike screaming at you. Then when I pass , they laugh.

So I don't hate 2 smokes. And sequestering them into their own paddock is a good idea.
  6. dpforth

dpforth no inline fours

Oddometer:
    2T forum...yes, +1

Stinkwheels in the stable:
    85 RZ350
    96 KTM 360EXC
    05 Scorpa SYR
    87 DT200
    68 Yamaha AS1
    Granddaughters' PW50 and 4Zinger
  7. Solaros1

Solaros1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd agree - I've owned more two-stroke motorcycles than 4-strokes and I love the sound, smell and feel of a two-stroke. Last one I rode was my friend Mark's Yamazuki - Yamaha RZ350 with Suzuki RG250 forks and swing arm transplanted onto it.

[​IMG]

He pieced this thing together out of the remains of three different bikes - turned out great and was fun to ride.
  8. Makr

Makr I make my own rules

Oddometer:

I own it.

I am in favor of a two stroke section.
  9. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hello Mark. How Ed's bike running these days?
  10. bump

bump COLOR ME GONE

Oddometer:
    But I just don't see that happening here. The tone here just isn't like the 2Smoker bike sites.

For comparison, I looked at ThumperTalk. They have great 2T sections for each brand. But they don't even have a BMW section except their 'Rest Of World Section' for "exotics" (read 'Oddballs'). The guys I know there consider Advrider to be basically a BMW and KTM Dakar bike site for people who live in places they can't ride all year. IMHO, one of the three attractions of Advrider is that there aren't that many bikes for them to really cover so they get deep on a few bikes. Those bikes are, in my opinion, compromise bikes that try to be OK at street and dirt. There aren't really any 2Ts in that category. Nearly all 2Ts are either race street bikes or race dirt bikes. Neither are ideal for multiday rides loaded up with all sorts of crap to stage Ride Report photos.

Perhaps if Advrider had added a 2T section early on they could have built something useful but at this point it will only be a place where people show what else they have in their stable.

Remember that for decades GM didn't make extra cab pickups and Ford didn't make Crewcab pickups? I read somewhere that was by design but perhaps something similar is happening here. ADV only covers a few real dirt bikes (some KTMs and the very best; the XR650R) and ThumperTalk doesn't really cover the behemoth ADV bikes, pre-450 Dakar stuff, or the vintage BMW stuff.

My opinion is that Thumpertalk is pretty focused on the So Cal riding experiences MX Tracks plus Baja, So Cal, and so Nevada where MX style race bikes converted a bit for dez use are trailered. Advrider is pretty focused on the Nor Cal idea of longer distance riding on basically street bikes somewhat modified for limited offroad use that requires a license plate and alot of asphalt but no trailering. I see Advrider in the middle of a spectrum because the real hardcore adventure people are on other sites like The Hubb. The Adv people seem to be trying to do the impossible and blend these two ways of doing things.

If I win the lottery I'll be the first guy on a TZ750 Dual Sport.
  11. PSchrauber

PSchrauber Long timer

Oddometer:
    Summer: Kemiƶ, Finland; Winter: North Germany
    Couriosly enough here is a trials section that has it's own traffic, so some two strokers might get their attention, so I believe I can assume that it works,

As trials bikes still are two smokers to now 90% I would have no problem to put the "others" beside them.
  12. Abdelhub

Abdelhub Blanco Trasho

Oddometer:
    i guess if this thread is our page then we better represent and show what we got.

one of my favorites in the stable...

[​IMG]

and regularly thrashed...

mike
  13. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    Damn, mine might be faster but yours is much cooler :freaky
  14. Harvey Krumpet

Harvey Krumpet Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My first outing on Krusty & yes, I'm new aboard.

[​IMG]

And the wee Lanza

[​IMG]
  15. bump

bump COLOR ME GONE

Oddometer:
    I wish we had that Lanza here in the US. A light, street legal, 2smokin dirt bike would be ideal.

Lucky you!

16. Harvey Krumpet

Harvey Krumpet Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's a fantastic wee trail bike. I'm lovin it too bits. The KDX just wants to kill me.
  17. Abdelhub

Abdelhub Blanco Trasho

Oddometer:
    thats some mud hole....

Mike
  18. Sam Simons

Sam Simons Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ".....The tone here just isn't like the 2Smoker bike sites. ...."

Exactly! Most of,if not all of,the various other 2T forums/sites involve a younger group of enthusiasts that are primarily street oriented (i.e., RZ350/500,Suz RG500,TDR,etc.,etc.). So far , the postings here on this thread reflect a stronger interest towards 60's/70's/and beyond offroad machines of whatever type........Likely posted by (somewhat) older enthusiasts..... It wouldbe good to keep the theme 'casual'-pics by owners,old tests, personal projects,etc. Looks to me like there's already one underway......:evil

Attached Files:

19. Abdelhub

Abdelhub Blanco Trasho

Oddometer:
    more two stoke bumps....we need to show strength fellas........show your pics and vids...
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UiI8nfSl-2I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mike
  20. MightyChosen1

MightyChosen1 I wanna be sedated

Oddometer:
    Beauty:

[​IMG]
    Too nice and too boring to take out and thrash.

The Beast:

[​IMG]

Too Scary , Way too much motor for the worn out suspension and non-existant brakes but its fun out in the open.

No way will they ever allow a 2-stroke only forum, All the BMW riders will claim discrimination.