We should do this more often

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by mapmaker, Nov 16, 2020.

1. mapmaker

mapmaker I like dirt Supporter

Oddometer:
    Had to get away from the news. Took a quick overnight trip. South of the I-10 near Chiriaco Summit. It’s so cool that this stuff is just hours from the house. I gotta do more of this, it’s so easy and feels really good. Only saw one other person, the nice guy who helped get me get unstuck. Sank it to the rear axle in soft gravel one foot off the paved road. :fpalm .

0300EF66-4997-48D4-892B-90A42FE08F0C.jpeg C325D310-70D1-45EA-886E-E6C085ABE5AC.jpeg 4824CAD7-061A-435D-ADF2-D7713C7B1A50.jpeg D7FD6EE6-8613-4CDD-8416-32F27AF3FDF9.jpeg 37A454C2-1E35-4782-A88B-BDEBD1B7C5FA.jpeg
  2. Creekgeek

Creekgeek Master Finger Painter

Oddometer:
    I've heard of quick sand, but never quick gravel... no pic, so I guess it didn't happen. :ear
    B10Dave and N-Id-Jim like this.
  3. MongoLikeCandy

MongoLikeCandy It never gets easier, you just get faster

Oddometer:
  4. mapmaker

Oddometer:
    I took the 90 degree turn off the pavement wide and hit the far side of the dirt road. Within a foot, it happened so fast I didn’t even notice I was sinking, second gear would have definitely helped. If I hit the middle of the dirt road probably would have been fine. After digging the tire out I was to pooped for pictures.
    Creekgeek and MongoLikeCandy like this.
  5. MongoLikeCandy

Oddometer:
    yeah no worry on the pictures ... don't listen to that nonsense.

I drop mine deep in the sand on Sunday .... as i came around a berm, exit from the turn was excluded hidden by a large creosote bush and sure enough when I came around the guy in front of me was down right there dug in so I had to ditch mine as well to avoid running over him .... it did happen and there's no pictures ..... well there's one right after I stood the bike up but that's not the same.....no pix because well .... I got that fucking moto out of the track so fucking fast to avoid anybody else doing the same and a pileup..... no bueno..... but a lot of us dug in the sand multiple times on Sunday not every picture was taken.... and it still happened ✌❤️
  6. bomose

bomose Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you take a short piece of carpet, you can get unstuck fairly easily. Just dig a little out and stick it under the wheel. Keeps the bike from digging in more. I didn't take picture s either.
    BrockEvan and MongoLikeCandy like this.
  7. bykemike

bykemike "ready to navigate" Supporter

Oddometer:
    What are the boots you have on, Forma? They look fairly comfortable
  8. MongoLikeCandy

Oddometer:
    come to think of it I really like this idea as the carpet can have many uses .... such as

1) door mat for tent -
    this is a biggie for me as I really like a clean tent I don't like dirt, debris, twigs, pine needles, shoes, dirty feet inside the tent

2) ground mat for feet next to the fire -
    there's something about a fire and bare feet. again it comes back to the clean feet thing for me. actually in the desert you can get cacti, sharp rocks on your feet if they're bare by the fire, also that's a morning fire so the ground is cold cold ground cold feet not good....a little mat for the feet mat at the fire, awesome.

3) knee pads -
    kneeling and working on something gravel ground hard pack cacti rocks can be hard on the knees you can use this piece of carpet to ease soften the ground when you're working on the bike .... even better .... if you are able to convince whoever you're traveling with to give you a fireside blowjob this will help them perform better! sharp rocks cacti etc, hey it's good to be sensitive to their needs too!
    bomose likes this.
  9. bomose

bomose Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Used for all of that.:photog
    MongoLikeCandy likes this.
  10. mapmaker

Oddometer:
    Those are Gaerne, very comfortable.
  11. MongoLikeCandy

Oddometer:

good man!!!
  12. Krider1

Krider1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    brilliant idea the carpet I'm going to do that great ride report, have a great day