We Want to Ride The Rock Again -- This Time Mo' Betta!

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Canuman, Sep 17, 2013.

1. applicant_255

applicant_255 Misshapen Shaved Ape

Oddometer:
    I split off from the group just south of Gambo on wednesday. Wasn't actually planning to split off, just hop ahead to take a few pictures from the lookout after the construction section, but when the b-king and gixxer that arrived at tims after we had left passed by my perch, I figured you guys had turned around.

Saw that Jake facebookcheckedin atthe tims in Gander about an hour before I arrived after the day 6 track. It was quite windy most of the time, lots of bare rock, causeways and open plains of rocks and low grasses.

I followed the north gravel road along Red Indian Lake back towards Port-Aux-Basques until around nine-thirty, my engine seized. Actually just my blinker met my rear tire/swingarm causing an engine seizure noise that itself caused a four minute tirade of general cursing followed by four minutes of laughter.

Camped out just past the lake in the driveway to someone's cabin. Scavenged twigs and sticks from the road nearby, roasted a few marshmallow after eating chili sandwhiches. Really loving this biolite campstove, there was a new moon last night, pitch black night, and I'm certain I was being followed around by those coyote/wolf mixes damurph was telling us about the night before. Having a reliable instant campfire instead of an invisible alcohol fire is a great way to cap off 12 hours of riding.

Today ( well yesterday now, I guess ) was spent leisurely wandering to the terminal, fixing my blinker in the parking lot of what has to be the smallest Canadian Tire in existence, and a trip out to Ross Blanche to see the lighthouse and climb a few rocks.

I heard a few times during the day about how the ferry certainly would/would not be going tonight. The riding has been spectacular, but I'm pleased to be headed back to NS to see my new nephew, then home to NB Sunday.

Full ride report and a few hundred photos to follow.

Good to hear you're home safe Tim, have a speedy recovery. Will PM address for the RCMP. I didn't get any immediate post crash pictures, I think the earlier one of the rut is the only one showing the bike down.
  2. AdvRich

AdvRich Long timer

Oddometer:
    LOL funny AdamÂ… very relatable.

Look foward to the RR.
  3. Poultriss

Poultriss Midlife crisis rider

Oddometer:
    Scottie, you little killing machine from Japan, it was indeed a blast riding with you.
    Organize the North Carolina trip and I promise I'll show up!
  4. Canuman

Canuman Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer:
    So who is going to put together a ride report for this business? I don't think I am the one for it, as I left early.

I have something to say, but it's going to take a different tack.
  5. Littlepeter

Littlepeter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll bet! Hope you are feeling better. I had to"leave early" from a ride last fall.

Peter

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 2
  6. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    Canuman, we missed you when we were cooking up the toutons for breakfast and I was showing the guys what to do with hard tack. Brewis and bacon for breakfast will get you through a long morning to a late lunch.
    They tasted the seal flipper but went for the moose pie as the other option for dinner.

Hoping you heal up well and if there is anything I can do from here regarding the bike or return to get her just let me know.

'Twere a pleasure to meet you all and I hope the history lesson gave some insight as to why we are here.

Feel free to look me up whenever you are in the area as I know a few spots around.
  7. jacob_ns

jacob_ns fundymoto.ca Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll get one up later tonight.
  8. MalayznSenzashn

MalayznSenzashn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll join that. I'm just waiting on pics from Matt.
  9. ScottieVK

ScottieVK Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Werd
  10. MalayznSenzashn

Oddometer:
    Your mom's a towel
  11. Canuman

Oddometer:
    I have a feeling that this one's going to be epic.

12. Poultriss

Poultriss Midlife crisis rider

Oddometer:
    Damurph man, it was quite an experience riding all the beautiful streets and marine drives of St-John's with you.
    Thank you so very much for taking us to all the historic and extraordinary scenic spots. You make quite a touring guide, with very good humour!
    Thank you so very much also for taking such good care of all our mechanical, lodging and nutrition needs. Your generous hospitality is something getting quite rare nowaday. I'd be quite happy to return the favor when you pass by Halifax area.

I talked to the police department here in Halifax area, and they told me that a sign showing 40 kms/ hr means it is the maximum speed allowed, and not only a suggestion. I told them Damurph from St-John's said it is only a suggestion, and they replied it is only applicable to Damurph!!!
    You'll have to tell me your secret!

Take good care ma youn' man, and once again thank you very much for everything!
  13. jacob_ns

Oddometer:
  14. jacob_ns

Oddometer:
    Also, during the dump of my card from my DSLR my power went out. I lost more than half of the photos so I hope you guys have plenty.
  15. MalayznSenzashn

Oddometer:
    Matt has about 1400. Except his memory card seems corrupted. He says a pro shop should be able get the info off the card...fingers crossed
  16. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I picked up a stray inmate who bunked down at my place last night.
  17. Canuman

Oddometer:
    MapMaster stopped by the POP last evening on his way back from the Rock, the Trans-Lab,and Quebec. We had a good time chatting, as well as some tasty BBQ ribs courtesy of my mum. I got to repay some of his kindness by hooking him up with a sleeping bag and pad. His is out there somewhere.
  18. kithough

kithough FL Snowbird

Oddometer:
    Wednesday, Damurph led me around Southshore to Cape Pine, the southernmost point, then to Cape St Mary's to see gannets. He and brother Tim helped sleuth an electrical gremlin.
    Have been to northernmost, easternmost and southernmost points. Will see westernmost point on day of ferry.
    Have been on island from 8/23. Might leave in another week.
    Today to Bonaventure. Then to Burin P. Ferry from Bay L'Argent to Rencontre and Pool's Cove, then up to Boyd's Cove and Twillingate.
    Had 3 days on Northern P. 3 days in Gros Morne. Got pannier fixed in Deer Lake from damage on TLH. Arrived with ratchet strap around it.
    What a place! And what an education about it.
    Thanks tons to Skibum69, Damurph,and Tim.
  19. kithough

kithough FL Snowbird

Oddometer:
    Didn`t make it. Final drive problems. Back in St John`s.
  20. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    whoops, do you need anything?