We Want to Ride The Rock Again -- This Time Mo' Betta!

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Canuman, Sep 17, 2013.

1. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    Keep us posted re return/rescue. I will help whatever way possible.
  2. Canuman

Canuman Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer:
    Well, one thing that's been wearing on my mind is the headlight fairing. Silly me. I have other worries.

It's a Britannia Composites fairing, made out in BC by an inmate. Although Ian no longer makes this model, he's offered to do a replacement this winter if I can supply the corpse of the old one, as he needs certain parts off of it that are no longer produced. It is superb, and one of the best pieces I added to the bike.

If anyone is going to be up Buchans visiting family, picking bakeapples, snowmobiling, or whatever, and wants to slack off three screws and snip a few wires, I'll pay transport to BC. The bike's at Merv's shed, Red Ochre Inn, Buchans.

3. kithough

kithough FL Snowbird

Oddometer:
    My feeling about NL is similar. I will get back there. But with a lighter bike. Maybe even a chain drive. Egad!

With 3 moose per sq km, I finally saw one with yearling on the Cabot Trail.

Was hearing a noise in drivetrain, stopped in Moncton and a guy at Tim h told me about Adriaan`s Cycle. His son test rode it and showed me how it is OK. Eased my paranoid mind.

Tonight I am in Prospect Harbor, ME, about 10 miles E of Bar Harbor.
    Tomorrow will ride down Rt 1.

Have the best of rides, Mike.
  4. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I know the pain of rotator cuff surgery, I heard I flew pretty far when I did it in my last DH race:lol3
  5. dresda

dresda Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been thinking about you for the past couple of days and I hope everything went well.:sick
  6. Canuman

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Steph. I've been pretty much pain-free, but the doc says that unless I have this taken care of, my old age is gonna suck. He's the bone man for the US ski-jumping team, and I suspect he's seen worse.

In surgery Weds.

7. ScottieVK

ScottieVK Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tim, sounds like you are in good hands.. We are thinking of you too and hope you are on the bike again soon...
  8. dresda

dresda Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh, next Wednesday? IE: the 24th?

Old age sucks anyway but you might as well try to make it as good as possible :eek1
  9. Canuman

Oddometer:
    How bad can it be? So long as they don't look at my liver, I think I'll be OK. That's my position, and I'm sticking to it.

Besides, I bought me a boat. I figure to go into piracy on a small scale while the shoulder heals, perhaps on the Trent-Severn or the Rideau. So far as I can tell, there's no down side to being a pirate with a game arm. Some sources even claim it to be an advantage. I'll be a while getting back to rough riding.

I really don't regret a minute of it. There was a speculative time while flying through the air when I was running through the options, and none of them appeared very good. The only thing I can compare it to was landing a plane after seeing my left main landing gear roll into the bushes well ahead of the airplane. You know something's about to happen, and you deal with the variables.

Newfoundlanders have got to be among the best people on earth.

10. dresda

dresda Long timer

Oddometer:
    Come on up the Rideau. You can do your laundry here and we can feed you a meal as well :)

What kind of boat?

Sent via aldis lamp on Tapatalk
  11. Canuman

Oddometer:
    Nimble Kodiak 26' motorsailer. 16 hp diesel plus sails. Uses a little over a liter of fuel per hour.

Arrrr!

[​IMG]

A 'sharpie.' Avast, ye curvy dogs.

[​IMG]

12. dresda

dresda Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lovely! What is she called?

My dad and his pal refurbished a 30' Gaspe Fishing schooner for their Centennial project. We did the triangle from Ottawa to Montreal, Kingston and back to Ottawa with it. Not much sailing to be done on the Rideau but its a lovely trip with some beautiful villages at the locks. Merrickville is a particular gem but a bit touristy. Anyway, let me know when you make the trip! Will it be this year?
  13. Canuman

Oddometer:
    Hmm, that's a point of discussion. The previous owner called her Jaded Lady. I know it's bad luck to rename a boat, but I don't think I can live with that.

14. dresda

dresda Long timer

Oddometer:
    Our schooner was called Greybeard. The dinghy was Whisker.
  15. Canuman

Oddometer:
    I'm torn between Ms. Longstocking and a few others.

16. MalayznSenzashn

MalayznSenzashn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Cynical Mistress captures the spirit of the current moniker, so not really a renaming, I don't think you need more bad luck right the now...but I don't think it's any better.
  17. Canuman

Oddometer:
    If luck had anything to do with it, I'd steal a page from Farley Mowat. When he bought his Newfoundland schooner, her owners referred to her as "That Bitch."

I'm trying to keep a positive outlook.

18. MalayznSenzashn

MalayznSenzashn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Point of note: beer is far more pleasurable when not rocket propelled out of one's nose. I like the name.
  19. Canuman

Oddometer:
    Ya gotta read Farley's The Boat Who Wouldn't Float. You'll piss yourself. It's 50 years old, and a classic. Keep the beers well away from the keyboard.

"The Buick lurched down the hill like a hippopotamus run amok on hashish." Poetry.

20. dresda

dresda Long timer

Oddometer:
    One of my favourite books. We lived that story with Greybeard.

Sent via aldis lamp on Tapatalk