We went to grill steaks 300 miles south of MEX Border

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Arte, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Arte

Arte Pata de Perro

Oddometer:
    THE PLAN:
    3 guys on KLR650's would head down to El Salto Zaragoza NL MX. Camp, grill some T-Bones, and keep riding around the area for three days.
    :tb

THE FACTS:
    8 guys ended up enrolled on this great ride, lots of laughing, lots of steaks, lot of dirt and rocks, even some snow riding !!

Despite the loosen and lost subframe screws, broken bike parts, panniers near to fall down, despite arriving home late and missing the Superbowl...... Well... It was worth it.

Arte
  2. kellymac530

kellymac530 motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    sounds fun, no pics?
  3. pilot815

pilot815 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It was very fun! There are tons of pics, this is just the start! I will also be writing another version that will merge with this thread.
  4. jetfixer007

jetfixer007 n00b

Oddometer:
    We want pic's :D
  5. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Let's see the gory details :deal

:lurk
  6. Arte

Arte Pata de Perro

Oddometer:
    The plan was to spend the weekend at the water fall of El Salto NL,
    and ride around the area to know the small towns, mountains, etc.

As I said before, the plan was originaly to go 3 guys, then the word got spreaded and after one week, 14 riders were confirmed to go.
    So we decided to make three groups, one that was willing to leave Thursday afternoon, other for Friday morning, and other group Friday Afternoon.
    And meet all there on Sat morning.

one more week passed, business and duties calls made plans changed so finally the roll was pretty different.
    Two Riders left ahead friday 11 am, and 6 more left a 3 pm.

The first two made it all the way down to El Salto, we the rest, just made it up to Galeana right went sun was falling behind the mountains. So we decided to camp there and plans started changing when we saw this.

Cerro El Potosi covered with Snow
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And we started thinking...... uummm, should we stay here instead to go to El Salto?
    Yes lets doit.
    wait.... down there is Pilot and Lucio.
    OK so we all agree that would not be nice to change plans at that point and we decided to stick to original idea....

....but not for much time...

Arte
  7. KRS

KRS Sand.... My Nemesis

Oddometer:
    When you already live "South of MEX Border" then saying you're going "South of MEX Border" kinda looses some of it's romance.

Just sayin :dunno
  8. pilot815

pilot815 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Actually a few of us on the ride are from north of the border.

Just sayin :dunno
  9. Arte

Arte Pata de Perro

Oddometer:
    It was 3 pm when Ferdi, Jorge and Efrain got to the meeting point, the obligated pics before to go and try to catch up Pilot815 and Lucio.
    [​IMG]

I do like Ferdi's bike gadgeting style. MP3, Cel, Nextel, etc, linked to his communicator, riding and working...
    [​IMG]

Andres showing off his new safe ADV vest
    [​IMG]

The Jorge's Boxer, did not know what was expecting for she...
    [​IMG]

arte
  10. Arte

Arte Pata de Perro

Oddometer:
    In no time we were at just 20 miles from Galeana, and stoped on this resting area to decide what was next, keep riding at night up to El Salto, and dodge burros, cows, goats, etc, or camp at "El Puente de Dios" -God's Bridge - near at Galeana.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

on the smooth part of the cliff, was hand sculptured with an historic representation but with the time came loose and felt down.
    Now, part of the recovered stones are laying down for show, on the floor of the resting area.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

OK, lets go and camp at "El Puente de Dios". Riding at night on the Mexico's crowest-loose-cattle road is not smart (the road to Aramberri).
    [​IMG]

arte
  11. Thorne

Thorne Sherpa-ing around

Oddometer:
    :clap
  12. Andres A

Andres A FINDING NEMO

Oddometer:
    McAllen, TX, TAMAULIPAS Y PUNTOS CIRCUNVECINOS
    Pic's!!!!!!!!!?:lurk:lurk:lurk
  13. Arte

Arte Pata de Perro

Oddometer:
    After arriving to Galeana, we went to the butcher shop and got some nice T-Bones, tortillas, sauce, snacks, Beers, etc. and hit the dirt road to "El puente de Dios"

[​IMG]

Jorge was carrying the cokes, tortillas, etc, but he was droping most of it every mile or so... :rofl

the beers were pretty secure on my back. I could feel their cold over the cold night..:lol3
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

it was a pretty cold night, I think some 38F or 40, but with some windchill that made it feel cooler.
    That did not stoped us to start the grilling time!!
    [​IMG]

Ferdi was carrying his DVD player ! and we were listening a movie..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The designated Cook was Jorge, we had an excellent dinner..:tb
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ricardo was worried about the tents cause thwy were too close from the fire. I guess after the cold started increasing, he did not worried any more.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Andres' bike was guarding his tent, just in case...
    [​IMG]

After a long time jocking, tall stories, stealing wood from a near fence to feed the fire..:shog we all went to get some sleep.
    My tent was missing two poles and was falling apart. I woke up at 4 am with cold dew on my face because the rainfly was gone.!
    [​IMG]

more later...
  14. Andres A

Andres A FINDING NEMO

Oddometer:
    McAllen, TX, TAMAULIPAS Y PUNTOS CIRCUNVECINOS
    R2D2 where are you?????????:confused:confused
  15. Arte

Arte Pata de Perro

Oddometer:
    sorry the delay on keep posting, but I have had more trouble with my bike since thursday. After the safety recall made on the wiring harness, directional lights, and muffler stuff. The bike just went dead last thursday, did not have enough power to start, needed a jump, but since I was almost the last one leaving work place, no one to gimme some hand. so I left the bike at the parking lot and on Friday I put it running again, but while going home I noticed that the revs needle starting doing some crazy things, so I though, no sh.... again the wiring harness... so I got home, turned off, tryed to turned on, and was plenty dead again. So I covered and left it there, I wanted to kicked the dam thing.... if some one knows what the heck???

sorry, lets back to the report.

so next morning we were struggling to get some hot water for coffee, so finally, Ricardo put some pot, revived the fire and we were ready to get our coffee. In the mean time we started getting the camp off.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jorge's bike was holding pretty good.
    [​IMG]

well, after the water was ready, some one asked for the coffee can, and all started saying, he had it, no I did not, he got it last night from the shop, no I did not, he did, and so on, and on, so finally we did realize that we payed for the coffee can but no one grabed it...:lol3

Ok, then lets going to have some good breakfast and then go to meet with Lucio and Cory. but first I went to take some quick pics from the "God's Bridge". I did not had the strength to walk all down, so I just got standing at the balcony. (what a lazy guy.:snore )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

in this picture you can see that above the natural bridge runs the road to Rayones, and underneath, the river runs thru the carved tunnel.
    [​IMG]

a pic from a pic
    [​IMG]

so after that, we all got ready for some bacon and eggs at Galeana.
    [​IMG]
  16. Arte

Arte Pata de Perro

Oddometer:
    going for breakfast at Galeana
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Remember that by then, we had in our mind the idea to go up to the snowed "El Potosi" mountain..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The road looks very easy during the day time...!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

we encounter two little future ADV riders !!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

arriving at Galeana
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and ready for some human gasoline
    [​IMG]

if you want to earn some cash.... some one say he never died!!
    [​IMG]
  17. Trailblazer

Trailblazer no cualquier gringo

Oddometer:
    :lurk :lurk
  18. Arte

Arte Pata de Perro

Oddometer:
    so after finishing eating this tasty omelette
    [​IMG]

every body wanted to ride up to the mountain, but there was the pending ride to El Salto, where Cory (Pilot) and Lucio were waiting for us, so we made the plan to go there, spend some time, then come back to galeana for camping here again and ride up next day.

the road to Aramberri and Zaragoza is very full of cattle, so after listening to Efrain story encounter with a cow in the middle of the night (during his trip to cancun), crash, slide on the pavement for 100 yards and came with no scratchs, we did ride very cautios there.,,
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

there is ahead another peak snowed on top, but harder to get there.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

and then we finally got to Zaragoza (after 100 miles)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

you need to pay 35 pesos to enter the "El Salto" park
    [​IMG]

arte
  19. Arte

Arte Pata de Perro

Oddometer:
    So we were ridinng inside the park, is quite big, well not too big, but they there are!, Lucio and Cory (from rigt to left). They were alreday some despered because our late arrive
    The had already explored the whole area !
    [​IMG]

their campsite was very nice place.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

El Salto Water Fall
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Andres and Richard
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

selfportrait
    [​IMG]

from here we started again the 100 miles ride back to Galeana and ready for going up to El Potosi Mountain.

arte
  20. bigdon

bigdon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Arte great photos. I like the Camping spot by the Falls. I may have to check that out one day.
    On the KLR problem, before you go too far , check the terminals on the Battery. Sounds like one of them( ground) may be loose!
    Good Luck!