Weather advice for NM to NY

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by snowcrash, Feb 24, 2006.

1. snowcrash

snowcrash n00b

Oddometer:
    So that I can save a lot of money in shipping my bike back to the UK, I need to get from New Mexico to JFK airport NY. The original plan was to ship from Dallas but that was much more expensive.

This will only work if I can get there fast and get back to blighty before my money runs out. It seems about 2,000 miles in google and my main worry is hitting bad weather mainly ice and falling off. I don't mind rough conditions or rain or even wind, although all at once is a bit much sometimes.

Not expecting a weather report, just anything dangerous or that would slow me down over the next few days

Here is a google map image of what is the fastest route of slab.

[​IMG]
  2. gts

gts Bark Buster

Oddometer:
    This might not sound adventerours but if I had to make that trip in the next few days I would think about renting a van. :hide I left a bar a few minutes ago and it was not new mexico outside :vardy
  3. AugustFalcon

AugustFalcon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lots of speed enforcement in Ohio so ther I would suggest not going much more than 5 over.

Pennsylvania can be cold, really dark and foggy especially very late at night to early a.m. in the hilly sections (they call them mountains but they usually only run about 2,000 feet or so). Lots of deer at night. Electric clothing would be good along with a FogCity type visor device.
  4. yater

yater Long timer

Oddometer:
    Isn't there a big cold front moving into the northeast over the next few days?
  5. bpeterson

bpeterson no other way to say it

Oddometer:
    it's going to be cold and windy, with a chance of snow tomorrow, into tomorrow night. did I mention it was going to be cold? do you have heated gear?

be careful if you decide to ride at night!
  6. AugustFalcon

AugustFalcon Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. Big Nick

Big Nick Deep in SE Asia

Oddometer:
    Just go for it, there is no snow forecast, but it might be icy but take your time especially in deer country!!

Good luck.....
  8. SkiMan

SkiMan Nora's freezin' on the...

Oddometer:
    Falcon and Yater got it right. Cold weather moving into the northeast for the next week w/ a fair amount of wind. Ohio is sticklers for the speed and PA is cold, lots and lots of fog with road splatters to avoid. May want to consider altering that route to bring you across TN and then up thru the western part of VA, scoot across Maryland and into NY. Better chance of being able to find a spot to warm up in VA then having to deal with the isolation in PA. Good luck to you!
  9. element

element Time to roll

Oddometer:
    Consider the advice to avoid Ohio and Pennsylvania. I-80 in Pennsylvania is back woods and a Semi Truck Race Track. The PA Turnpike is expensive and very busy.

I like I-68 though WV and MD to I-70 then maybe up I-81 ??? for NY... I never go to NYC so I cannot say what best after I-81

The more Southern roads are better this time of year.
  10. snowcrash

snowcrash n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the replies.

It makes me a bit 50/50 on doing it, my speedo broke along while back but cops don't bother with foreign plates so far so I just go follow fast people on the freeways. No heated clothing so my hands have often frozen up , the rest of me is ok. The back tyre is completely squared off which makes riding long distances hard as it's not as stable as before, good tread though. oh and the way i've been into the warmest parts for a month has made me a "warm weather rider" :cry:cry

Writing it out instead of just thinking about it makes me not want to do it afterall. Take my good luck so far and scram. Saying that I'll probably flip decisions again in the morning

wow, hail stones with rain and huge lightning strikes just started as I was typing! The motorcycle gods are enraged with me! :pain
  11. Big Nick

Big Nick Deep in SE Asia

Oddometer:
    Hey Fella, If you need a new tyre, and some support, a brit to talk too, I can help....if you are a brit on a mission, I am happy to help. Let me know

This place rocks if you need to get somewhere safe, let us know, we can help.

PM or email me from the Profile section with a number you are at.

Nick
  12. Squeaky

Squeaky A Few Loose Screws...

Oddometer:
    Have you priced out the cost of gas, food, and lodging (and possibly a new tire) for making the trip up and shipping from NY vs. the extra cost to ship from Dallas? I say if the difference is less than $100 you're better off sending the bike on its way.

I wouldn't want to risk injury on icy/foggy/deer-filled roads to save a few bucks, and I would really hate to hear about you going down out there. :cry