We'd better have a 790 thread, I 'spose

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by wairau, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Oscar

Oscar Acerbic Prick Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, the initial offering is a limited edition 890 Rally R which will be mucho dineros (or should that be eine Menge Geld).
    Birchy has taken delivery of one.
    I expect the 'ordinary' 890 will be available thereafter.
    MrKiwi likes this.
  2. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Structural Failure

Oddometer:
    Stefan Pierer announced upcoming models would include an 890R, 490 Adventure, and a 690 adventure. I read the article myself but can't find the link to it. A factory 490 or 690 adventure would be a hard bike for me to go past but given my health and age I'd likely stay with the soft old Tiger.....definitely....well, probably, .....I'd certainly have a good look at it ..........test ride or two should sort it.....
    KiwiPewe likes this.
  3. bigboynasty

bigboynasty Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Distributor not accepting preorders for 890 Rally. You can only preorder via KTM website that won’t accept an order either. Just freezes up when submit button pushed.
  4. Muzz67

Muzz67 Unadventurous

Oddometer:
    Ye gods! Listed on TM as around $43k! They taking the piss, surely?
  5. MrKiwi

MrKiwi Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    :yikes
  6. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    Factory 450RR will set ya back $50K plus...$43K is cheap azzzz
  7. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    Very interesting article from Kevin Cameron about the 890 vs 790 engines, which really covers the changes in design demanded by the more stringent Euro 5 regulations. The interesting thing for real world applications is how it leads to flatter torque curves.

https://www.cycleworld.com/story/bikes/inside-ktm-890-duke-r/

If you're in to that sort of thing.

Also implies why there is a new, bigger Tiger 900 out now, and 1250GS. Sadly there are rumours that 600 supersports will be most affected, as peaky high-rpm multis seem anathema to super-low emissions.

Having just got my 790R and still getting it dialled, it's not going anywhere. Besides, if I had an 890 and you said I could lose 7 kg at the cost of 10 hp, I'd do it.
    Night Falcon likes this.
  8. ztaj

ztaj jatz

Oddometer:
    innathyzit likes this.
  9. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    Oh, it sure is, in so many ways!
    Night Falcon, KiwiPewe and ztaj like this.
  10. MrKiwi

Oddometer:
    The price on trademe for the rally is too high. Also world wide the numbers booked out within a day. Some lucky nzers managed to get a booking...
  11. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    I wasn't one of them :2cry
  12. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:
    Still got the 1190?
  13. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    just putting it out there.... if I spent $24K on a 790R and within a year KTM brings out an 890R I'd feel a little...'flat about it'. I like /love that they bring out new bikes, but my spanking new model bike which isn't even out of warranty is now redundant to some extent. I expect new emissions laws are behind it to some degree but bringing new models out so close together 'squeezes the orange a tad' I reckon.
    bikemoto and Ducatijim like this.
  14. Oscar

Oddometer:
    I had just bought a 950 and they brought out the 990. It wasn't a problem coz the 950 was a better bike.
    And this is about the same - I don't need any additional horsepower (or weight) so I'm not losing any sleep.
  15. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    doubt I'd lose sleep either but it still grinds my peel...plus the 950 had been out for some time before the update, forced again by emissions laws..... wonder how many potential 790r owners will become 890 owners though? ....maybe KTM will have to do a 2019 vrs 2020 690 discount to move 'old' 790R stock :lol3 Every cloud has a silver lining :D
    KiwiPewe and MrKiwi like this.
  16. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    Nope. It was only a 'gap filler' to some extent until the 790 arrived...which took another 2 years. Stonking engine but simply too big and heavy for me in the really rough stuff. Despite that, me and my boy literally travelled the length and breadth of the country on it, looping down to Bluff the first hols and up to Reinga the next on many of the classic adventure routes. (And many other trips as well.)

There's always going to be another new bike just around the corner...unless you love DRs or KLR's! :lol3 By the time you hand over your cash, it's superseded. Enjoy what you got while you got it.

You gotta remember the 790 is an awesome bit of kit. Not was; is. The 890 is going to be similarly awesome; slightly better in the engine, but with a weight penalty.

That's pretty much where I'm at, but I do acknowledge that the 890 is a refinement of the 790. I am surprised the weight has leapt up, and by the sounds of things they've lightened various chassis parts so the increase in engine mass must be greater than the overall 7 kg gain.

Increased engine inertia providing better stability in long (fast) corners - yep, sure. Now talk to me about how fast it changes direction, particularly in the twisties. :*sip*
  17. KiwiPewe

KiwiPewe Coddiwomple Supporter

Oddometer:
    And then there's this of course...
    801.jpg
    EVLED likes this.
  18. MrKiwi

Oddometer:
    In my opinion, and that is all it is, the Norden is a much better looking bike than the KTM. I think KTM have lost their way a bit in the looks department of their adventure bikes at the moment.
    Ducatijim and KiwiPewe like this.
  19. Oscar

Oddometer:
    Still no hydraulic clutch on either the Norden or 890.
  20. MrKiwi

Oddometer:
    seems strange in this day and age.