Wedding Vows in Action: Riding South from Seattle

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by ADVegan, Nov 14, 2018.

1. ADVegan

ADVegan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jungle Panama.jpeg
    The two of us in the jungle in Norther Panama- island of Bocas del Toro, on the northern undeveloped end.

I keep finding myself falling behind and having too much to catch up on.. that just makes me procrastinate more.

We started planning our race through Panama and Rachel reminded us there was really no rush. Since she rejoined me in San Jose Costa Rica we have felt like we are moving a little faster than we'd like. Probably just lingering attitude from when I cruised through a few countries quickly. It was a good reminder so we decided to check out Boquete Panama. It was a nice town in a green valley- a wonderful respite from the 100° temps we rode through to get there.

We stayed two nights and when packing up Rachel plugged her phone into a receptacle bank at the front desk. An older guy came in selling knives and some other stuff from a tray to support his dialysis treatments. He showed me his diabetic foot and bandages and his diagnosis paperwork from the hospital. I told him I didn't want any knives but I handed him $5. Then he stole Rachel's iPhone X. Fuuuuck that pissed me off.

It was our only navigation tool since I dropped and subsequently lost my Pixel phone in Costa Rica. The hostel said they'd never had any issues in 5 years, and the cops said the guy was from out of town (they knew him) but a police report would take 3 days. We went to buy a burner phone and the Chinese couple running the cellphone store said a younger guy had come in earlier trying to sell them Rachel's iPhone. Im not a phone snob, my pixel I bought used and it's a couple generations old- but this new phone is a pain to type on! (Give me some credit for typing this post on it, Rachel hogs the laptop. Ok, hogs HER laptop)

We rode through central Panama towards Panama City. It was a couple days of trials. I've been posting about Rachel's digestion issues, but its really not food poisoning. In fact its the opposite of traditional food poisoning symptoms. I won't get into details, but her symptoms are too close to the ovarian cancer that runs in her family to not take things seriously. We've scheduled testing in Medellin. Bottom line, that plus the heat, plus the lack of interesting towns made for some of our toughest days yet.

But we did get rained on for the first time on our ride! It's rained plenty of times where we've been, but somehow without really trying to avoid it, we haven't ridden in the rain one single time! We got caught in a downpour and I pulled over under a pedestrian overpass to wait it out. It stopped, but we caught back up with it and got soaked. The following hour was back up to 100 and dry so we quickly dried out.
    Rain Ride.jpg
    Mofrid, wilfred, roadcapDen and 2 others like this.
  2. ADVegan

ADVegan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When we made it to Panama City, we were stunned at its modernity. Well, let me back up- before we laid eyes on the city we crossed the Bridge of the Americas over the Panama Canal. And I started crying in my helmet! Very unexpected! I hadn't really been building up Panama in my mind but when we crossed the bridge I felt like I had achieved what I set out to do- ride a motorcycle to South America. It was an awesome feeling to know that I had actually taken action on my dream trip and we had made it happen. Emotions abound!

Then we pulled into the Casco Viejo neighborhood of Panama City which is quickly gentrifying and quite beautiful. Our modern Airbnb (just opened, we were the second guests) had a view across the water to the downtown skyline and it felt like the hot, dry section of central Panama was behind us. We enjoyed out time in Panama City and had some wonderful nights chatting about life the trip and everything else.

Awesome Airbnb in Panama City:
    _MG_3131.jpg

I was to drop the bike off at the airport a day before we flew, and Veronica with Cargo Riders had her people on the Panama side come pick me up. They were scheduled for 10am, but texted us at 8:20 saying they were outside. We'd had a late night drinking wine and had procrastinated on the packing so we arranged for them to come back at 11. They arrived at noon, and were wonderful people. After we got the bike stuff handled I asked if I needed a cab. We'd driven to the Tocumen Airport on the other side of the city through traffic for about an hour. They said they'd drive me back and I asked their daughter who was with us if they lived near Casco Viejo. No, she said- they lived by Tocumen airport. So I protested and told them not to wait in two hours of traffic on my behalf. Instead they took me to their house and gave me some water and we chatted and I met their children. Fun experience.

Rachel in Casco Viejo Panama City:
    _MG_3261.jpg

The bike flight got delayed one day, but Veronica was very communicative. I was happy to have her help and I can be added to the list of many happy Cargoriders customers here on ADVrider.

We landed in Bogota and Rachel and I both felt reinvigorated. We'd visited Colombia in 2015 and absolutely loved it, but I wasn't sure if it had been a fluke. It was not, we love it here! The weather here is much more similar to Seattle, the people are incredibly friendly and overall it just has a great vibe. Getting the bike out of the airport took longer than I expected, and by the time the bike and I were being lowered off a loading dock by a forklift it was dark. Hopefully the Argentinian couple I was with got some photos I can share, it was a unique experience! I was a little nervous for my first ride in Colombia, in a giant city and also at night but I didn't have any issues.

We hiked an hour and a half up to Monserrate and tried to recreate a photo we took in 2015:
    _JKH0014.jpg

We booked a flight out of Quito on May 24th, so we have about 6 weeks to make our way there. Instead of hurrying there we might stop in Medellin for a bit and check out a lot of the small towns north of Bogota. Then Rachel might get on a bus while I make some long days. Who knows, right now we are just very happy to be in Colombia and enjoying every minute!

I finally had to get a couple new clothes to keep up with Rachel's burgeoning wardrobe..
    _JKH0024.jpg
  3. 1stgenfarmboy

1stgenfarmboy The Sherpa Man

Oddometer:
    Good thoughts for the little woman's upcoming test.

Oh and great RR.
    ADVegan and roadcapDen like this.
  4. LateToTheGame

LateToTheGame Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    First off, I just want you to know that as I write this it's raining and 47 degrees outside, and the bike is stuck in the garage. You two are living the dream. Just sayin'...

I do have a question: how do you manage to stay sort of comfortable in rider gear at those temperatures? If I get into the 80s, the armored jacket and pants start to feel desperately hot. 'Course I'm living in a temperate zone - as I said, 47 degrees and wet - so I might adapt with time, but it always feels like I might just melt inside the moto suit.

Rachel seems to be handling all this really well. Maybe in a couple years you do it all again, only this time put her on her own bike? She reminds me of my wife - if I don't regularly get Jan out on an adventure of some sort she starts to get cranky and irritable.
  5. ADVegan

ADVegan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In regards to the gear, great question! I think it's just impossible. Before we left I tried to find out what the weather was going to be like in certain places and found it hard to nail down. I went back and forth a million times on mesh gear vs full goretex Klim suits. In the end I got mesh pants and kept my regular jacket. Rachel has regular armored pants and jacket and that has just been too hot.

We've had single-day rides that varied by 35+ degrees (because of elevation, not time of day) so you just can't be that ready for everything. If I was doing it again, I don't even know what I'd go with. The temps through Central America were high enough they say it's bad to use mesh because it just dries you out. I did find that when it was hitting 100+ and I closed my vents I had less dehydration. More sweat though. Now we are in Colombia and it's dumping rain regularly so..

We basically know we are going to sweat like crazy on ride days and take showers upon arrival. The best thing we did is get some merino base layers. They're a little too hot, but you can sweat like a pig and they don't smell for several ride days!

Rachel is doing great, thanks for mentioning it. She is a trooper, and warming to the idea of her own bike now that she sees how small they make them...
    Trip Hammer and CROSSBOLT like this.
  6. ADVegan

ADVegan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Alright I have neglected this RR long enough! I think a certain point of lull comes on every Ride Report, hopefully I can gain momentum again. We'e been in Colombia about a month now, our route is below and I'll post some more chronological details and pictures in posts below. First, I just wanted to talk about Colombia in general- specifically the riding here.

When we visited Colombia four years ago I remember thinking, "these roads are perfect for riding motorcycles, but because of the other drivers, you'd have to be crazy to ride here." Well, here we are and I was right on both accounts! There are two road signs featured very prominently in Colombia. The first is a white circle surrounded by a red border with two smaller circles inside. The smaller circles are black on the top and white on the bottom. The sign looks like a blinking smiley face without a mouth, and I have absolutely no idea what it means. The other sign that pops up at least once a mile is much clearer. It's a classic yellow diamond sign showing two cars slamming into one another head-on. It doesn't offer a whole lot of new information, it just kind of says "Hey it would suck if you crashed head-on into another car wouldn't it? That can happen, you know." Thank you for the consistent reminder, but it's not necessary. The friendliest word to describe how Colombian drivers treat passing one another would be "optimistic". Their lane usage is "collaborative". But the scenery makes up for it and then some. After leaving Bogota we rode over mountain ranges and under foreboding rainclouds. We rode beneath massive cliff faces, across valley floors, and alongside swollen rivers. Very few sections of road were straight and fewer were flat. It's ideal.

On top of that, the views are spectacular. We're from Seattle, the Emerald City, in WA, the Evergreen State, so we're used to green. But Colombia is verdant! I haven't been anywhere else in the world that justifies using "verdant". The terrain and roads are so incredible that over the course of a few weeks I realized I was getting used to epic green mountains and twisty roads winding through them. If someone else was setting out on an "Epic Ride" of their own and was solely concerned with good riding, I would probably recommend just shipping your bike from wherever you are in North America straight to Colombia. There is something great about riding out of your own driveway all the way here, but the riding through Central America cannot compare to what we've ridden in Colombia. It's that much better!

Second, if you're riding in Colombia and the internet tells you it's Colombia's rainy season.. It is not playing around. We have had rain almost everyday in the afternoon and it can be torrential. We've been able to ride our rides just fine, always watching the skies and doing our best to be at our next lodging by 2pm.

Here is our route so far in Colombia:
    Screen Shot 2019-05-15 at 11.13.57 AM.png
  7. ADVegan

ADVegan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We wanted to slow down in Colombia and not rush toward Ecuador so we decided to head north out of Bogota toward some small colonial towns. Good to learn that the bike works when pointed North too. Our first stop was Ville de Lleyva. It was a short ride out of Bogota, but I was happy to be back on the bike and leaving the city. It didn't take long to be cruising through twisty roads and green mountains. I felt like- ahh this is what I was imagining! This is new. It felt great. Villa de Leyva is beautiful in it's colonialism and at the risk of sounding jaded I will say we have seen a ton of colonial towns! We did do a wine tasting and check out a house made entirely of clay. That was cool! I'm really fascinated by alternative construction methods, and this was definitely alternative!

Clay house:
    Villa De Lleva.jpg

We rode North still to Barichara, another small colonial town. On the way out of VdL, I decided to use Waze to navigate because I like the voice directions in my helmet better. Partly because they are more consistent- they always tell me 200m before a turn. Google seems to just pick random distances to inform me about. And also because I made the voice in Waze "boyband" and they sing the directions to me. Unbeknownst to me, Waze rerouted us and added an hour and a half to the already long ride day. I promptly deleted the boyband app upon arrival.. We spent Easter in Barichara and watched them celebrate with their processional and music. We also made a couple friends from the states, a male and female pair of platonic travel buddies who got together once a year to take international trips. We went out to dinner with them one night and were inspired by their commitment to travel and their unconventional way of thinking about life and relationships.

Cool lookout in Barichara over a neighboring valley:
    Barichara.jpg

After Barichara things got a little interesting... We wanted to head to Medellin where Rachel had doctor's appointment scheduled. We had three days to get there for the appointment which meant we'd ride three long days in a row. That has never worked out well for us. First day went fine, we wound up in Bucaramanga which was a bigger town than I expected and we got a cheap and basic hostel. The next stop was halfway to Medellin in a town called Puerto Berrio. We dropped down from the mountains and the heat picked up. By the time we arrived it was well over 90 degrees and the town lacked anything we might be interested in doing. Luckily we had A/C in our hotel room, unfortunately we did not have any windows or wall decorations so it was a bit like a prison cell albeit a cold one. Rachel felt trapped in the room, and we didn't really have options for food besides rice, beans and fried plantains which we'd been eating for a few days. It was a hard day and I could tell Rachel's attitude was breaking down. But we were prepared to get to Medellin the following day by 2pm so we could make the appointment.

I woke up at 6am and it was absolutely dumping rain. After looking at the forecast, I made an executive decision to delay our departure. Even with that being the right choice, Rachel was pissed when we left. We stopped for a gas an hour into the ride and didn't really exchange any words besides "want a water?" "no." - I could tell she was mad at me but I knew I'd done the right thing so we both dug in. I passed up several restaurants an hour later even though I knew we needed to stop soon. Finally after the twistiest road down a mountainside I've ever ridden, I saw a tienda (tiny convenience store) on the side of the road and I pulled into the only three feet of space available on the side of the road. I got us waters and we sat down to try to talk, but it didn't go well. I yelled, which I very very rarely do, and Rachel slammed her helmet shut and dropped her visor so I couldn't see her. This caused me to yell more even though I knew it wasn't doing any good, and she took her helmet off and threw it at me. We both heatedly decided not to continue talking at that time and rode the rest of the way to Medellin. Our shitty burner phone wouldn't allow Google maps to navigate so I rode into Medellin and tried to remember how to get to El Poblado neighborhood based on what I remembered from our visit in 2015. Traffic was bad and my nerves were about fried. By the time we got to the hostel, I just got off the bike and sat down on the curb for about 10 minutes to figure my shit out while Rachel checked us into the hostel.

We made up that evening, but not after some of the heaviest conversations of our relationship. We decided to really commit to slowing down and spent about 8 days in Medellin. We went to a local soccer game which was a blast and generally just played tourist, without the pressure of seeing everything we were "supposed to" because we'd done that on our last visit. I really like Medellin, and I have no idea why. There's nothing that I can point to that would make me say you have to go because of "X". I just really like the feeling I get in the city, and the people are as friendly as anywhere in Colombia. The only negative of our time in town was the doctor's appointment because the doctor said "well, you look healthy", from across his desk and that was that. It was very invalidating and pissed me off enough that I ended up going back to the hospital the following day to get a refund.

Medellin.jpg

After Medellin, we rode down to Jardin which is GUESS WHAT?! A beautiful colonial town in the mountains! Here we hiked up to a lookout and enjoyed a couple days hanging out and spending time at a vegetarian restaurant run by three incredibly kind women.

Jardin.jpg

Attached Files:

8. engineman

engineman Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've always thought it would be pretty tough to take a long trip like that with a significant other. Not much space for cool-down when you're sharing a motorcycle. I've been married almost 30 years and FWIW I don't think we'd last more than a couple of days on a trip like that
    ADVegan likes this.
  9. CharlestonADV

CharlestonADV I do my own stunts. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've always thought it would take extraordinary patience to sit on the back of a motorcycle for extended journeys. It would seem reasonable that undertaking such an endeavor would put immense stress on any relationship.
    ADVegan likes this.
  10. ADVegan

ADVegan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Haha yea it can definitely be challenging! A lot of times you just need that cool off space, but you've got nowhere to go!

Great point, that came up in our conversations. She expressed that it can be harder to enjoy the ride days just sitting in the back. I sometimes forget.. Personally, I don't think I could handle riding ten miles on the back of someone else's motorcycle across highway 50 in Nevada let alone passing semitrucks in the rain on these Colombian twisties with a mile deep canyon on either side.. Ok, Rachel gets another outfit!
  11. CROSSBOLT

CROSSBOLT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just remember, it makes no difference, women in general will complain about something and will make it your fault!
    ADVegan likes this.
  12. 1suffolkmare

1suffolkmare Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Don't believe everything you read on the internet.
    shuswap1, ADVegan, AVPU and 1 other person like this.
  13. Lostmike

Lostmike Cruising

Oddometer:
    Better not say that to my missus she would definitely give you something to complain about haha.
    1suffolkmare and CROSSBOLT like this.
  14. CROSSBOLT

CROSSBOLT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am on #3 so I know of what I speak! I also know from personal experience that "fellow" naval officers do the same thing!
  15. ADVegan

ADVegan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Been meaning to get this up for awhile, but we've been moving a lot!

After Jardin we rode to Salento a small town in the coffee growing region of Colombia. We visited on our last trip to Colombia and loved it. It was familiar and more or less the same albeit with many more hostels. The highlight of this visit had to be the dinner we had a Venezuelan restaurant in town. The food was phenomenal and we chatted for a long time with the owner. She said her two employees had only been in Colombia for a couple months and the situation in Venezuela was very bad, worse than the news. It was a great experience and we appreciated the conversation (and wine!) We also went on a coffee tour with a guide who was funny, laid back and very honest. He told us that the coffee wasn't all that profitable unless you also did tours (like his) and that many people were turning to avocados.

CoffeeSalento.jpg

We stayed in the coffee region and rode a short ride over to Filandia. We had heard this was the "next Salento" but it was actually already a larger town. I think we set expectations a little bit too high, the town was fine but we preferred Salento. We packed up the bike and realized we needed some more cash to pay for the hostel. I went back to the ATM we had used once before but it was out of service. Then I went to the only other two in town which didn't work either. I called my bank, which said that there was no lock on the card but while we were on the phone we did identify $865 of charges in India. We got that rectified and realized one of the ATMs was actually working, it just didn't have at the amount of cash we were requesting.
    Filandia Hills.jpg
    All told this took a couple hours, which turned out to be important. We were only going about 30 minutes down the road to a cabin AirBnb we were trading photos to stay in. It had been sunny all morning. About 10 minutes into the ride, it started raining harder than I have ever ridden in. We got absolutely soaked through and through. 30minutes earlier, or later and we would have been dry but that wasn't to be. We stayed three nights at the cabin and it rained most of the time and the last day we lost power. A nice break for the finances, but with the rain and remote location of the cabin we felt a little stuck. We both romanticize remote Airbnb opportunities, but in reality they aren't the most convenient and it's nice to be around other people.

With our sights set on Quito, we rode south to Cali and spent some non-descript time in the big city. Popayan was next, and we felt like as the Southern part of Colombia opens up more to tourism and backpackers, Popayan will be a part of the circuit. At one point on the way there, we pulled off the highway to get lunch, and there was a police checkpoint with a lot more activity that usual and they were stopping all cars. We both just got a feeling of "we are in the wrong place", and I looked at a cop and made a "we are turning around!" motion and he nodded like that was a wise move.

Cali City.jpg

We headed further South down the Pan-Am highway to Pasto. People have told us to stay off the Pan-Am because the cool roads are smaller etc etc. I get that, but the last hour and a half of this day was the most incredible combination of riding and scenery I've ever ridden. We were in a valley that must have dropped off 4k ft to our right side, and peering down to the river below was vertigo inducing. Just on the other side of the river another mountain climbed just as steeply. I really don't think I can do it justice with words, just go check it out.

Drone Roadside.jpg
    We had seen pictures of a church near the border of Ecuador so we booked a night right near by. Our hostel owner in Pasto looked at us funny and said we shouldn't stay in the town of Ipales because it was a dump. But that's where the church was so we did it anyway. We were not disappointed! The hotel was right by the church, and was over-priced for Colombia, but very modern and nice and didn't give any "border town vibes". The church was built over a river deep down in a massive gorge- I'll let the pictures do the talking, it was spectacular. After seeing a lot of churches on this trip, this one was my favorite by a good margin.

Church Ipales.jpg
    We made it all the way to Quito after a breezy border crossing and several hours climbing and descending mountains. We parked the bike for storage with Freedom Riders bike rentals in Quito. It was fun talking shop with the guys there, they are really well set up for adventure. If you want to drop into Ecuador and grab an ADV bike with all the best gear I would highly recommend their shop.

We flew Quito -> Houston ->Seattle where we stayed one night with Rachel's dad and then hopped a plane to Taipei and then Bali. The one day in Seattle was totally surreal. Everything was so familiar, and it felt like I'd simply woken up from a dream. None of the last six months felt real. Seriously mind-melty. Then we landed in Bali and I went back to dreaming. We are filming a wedding here this weekend, staying another week and then heading back to Seattle for a couple days. Then we'll spend a week in Hawaii on another photography gig, and then be in Seattle until the end of July. A quick trip to Montreal for a family reunion and it'll be back to Quito to pick up the bike and keep riding South. I plan to put this on hold until then, but I might add some of my experiences with different gear to help others heading down South in the future.

NOT IN KANSAS ANYMORE!
    _MG_8444.jpg

I am happy to answer any questions about motorcyle gear or logistics or weather or whatever! So even if someone stumbles on this post in 2025, shoot me a DM or ask away here. Thanks to everyone who has read along so far, even without a ton of offroad/ breakdown / ADV stories- we've been minding my Dad's instructions to "stay out of the news" and I'm quite content with that!
    shuswap1, Saso, Cal and 8 others like this.
  16. Mofrid

Mofrid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking its along!

Great RR.
  17. ADVegan

ADVegan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, about time to get this RR back up and riding. Maybe a bit early, but I'm antsy and I miss my motorcycle!

While we were in Bali, we rented a little scooter and it was a godsend. The traffic was thick, but laws didn't seem to apply to scooters. For the most part they drive on the left side of the road, but if that's inconvenient then any open space is fine to use. Sidewalks included. I started to daydream about trading in the 1190 for a pair of scooters when we got back to Ecuador. In traffic it was just so much easier to manage and if we spread the gear out over two machines we could probably do it. Rachel started asking to ride the scooter so one day after lunch she got to drive. She was great for all of about 200meters, then she missed a turn and went to make a 3-point turn around. Coming out of that maneuver, she grabbed too much throttle, panicked and grabbed more. Next thing I know the scooter is flying off the road into some bushes and she's laying face up in a small cement ditch bleeding a lot from the knee area but also covered in mud (maybe sewage, not sure). I pulled her out and a couple local guys grabbed the scooter and offered to hose her off at the nearby gas station. I could tell she was bleeding a lot and the guys told us there was a hospital just down the street. It turned out to be a small walk-in clinic but within 10minutes of the accident Rachel was getting 11 stitches in her right knee. Put a bit of a damper on the last few days in Bali since she couldn't really walk after that. It also evaporated my daydreams of dual scooters through S. America.

Rachel Stiches bali.jpg

We then went to Hawaii on a photography assignment which was a whole lot more work than we anticipated. We went into it with the feeling "at least we'll be in Hawaii", but I've realized HI is just not for me so that didn't really help. Maybe it's all the tropical locations we've been in the past 6months, but HI seems like a developing country with less friendly people and Norwegian prices. Maybe I just don't get it, I know you're never supposed to say Hawaii is anything other than amazing but...

Rachel is editing the two wedding videos we took this summer, I'm riding my bicycle for Uber Eats (shit money, but it's actually kinda fun and gives me something to do). Heading to Montreal at the end of the month for family reunion and then it's finally BACK TO ECUADOR! We never really plan out specifics, but like to have a general line and we're deciding between heading diagonally South East into Boliva and Paraguay or more directly South into Chile and then sticking to one side of the Andes. Any tips are welcome!
  18. engineman

engineman Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update. Agree with you about Hawaii. Been trying to talk my wife out of making me go
    ADVegan likes this.
  19. ADVegan

ADVegan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Our vacation from the ride has come to an end! We are back in Quito and have retrieved the bike from Ecuador Freedom Bike Rental. If you ever want to do a tour in Ecuador, I highly recommend these guys. They have all kinds of bikes and Mosko Moto gear and everything you'd need to have a blast. They do guided and un-guided tours.

00000IMG_00000_BURST20190806151754754_COVER.jpg

I hauled a MotoZ tractionator rear tire from Seattle to Montreal to Quito, and when we went to get the bike they asked me "where did you get that?" When I told them I brought it with me (tried to call it my emotional support tire, but got denied and had to check it) the guy laughed and walked me over to a warehouse chock full of MotoZ tires. They had become a dealer in the last month or so! Good to know. The rear tire we took off the bike still had a lot of life after 2k miles before the trip, and probably 10k since we have been loaded weighing over 1000lbs. Good stuff.

IMG_20190805_101410.jpg

Now we had just been in Montreal where I was told I couldn't turn right on red lights, so as we approached our first light I wondered aloud "I'm trying to remember if I can take a free right here.." and Rachel astutely replied "Umm.. I think you can do whatever the fuck you want." OH YEA! That's right! Welcome back to South America.

We had 83 days left on our visa, but the bike had only about 10 days left Ecuador is pretty strict on vehicles and charges $350/ day that over stay so that was priority one. I had read it might be possible to extend near the airport, and that turned out to be good information. We had to get a form at the Migracion office in Quito that certified we still had visa days. Then I took that to the Aduana out by the airport and the process was super straightforward and I thought I was out in 20minutes. Then I was told I just needed to wait for the new forms, and the guy told me "I will give you new forms, it might take an hour. (this is at noon) why don't you go get lunch and come back at 2? At 3:30 I rode out with the new paperwork for the bike and a smile on my face. Time to explore Ecuador!

Oh yea, look at this hat Rachel brought back for part 2- I fought it for about a week and finally caved in a moment of weakness! But hey, if we let practicality dictate things we probably wouldn't be on this trip..

00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20190808182330669.jpg
  20. ADVegan

ADVegan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We spent a few days exploring Quito again and doing the touristy stuff we "should". I liked Quito, although it didn't give me the feeling I got in Medellin of "I could live here". Can't put my finger on what it is about certain places that just have a different vibe. We were also itching to ride South, but first we had to take care of something about an hour North.

When we were in Bali, the thought crossed my mind that we were at about the same latitude as Quito, so I looked it up. That made me realize two things: 1) I was right. and 2) we had driven right past the equator on our way into Quito and not realized it. There has to be some significance to making it to another hemisphere, so we drove north to check it out. There is a big monument there, which was worth a visit to get our passports stamped "Mitad del Mundo" but apparently it's in the wrong place due to a French miscalculation. We used our Garmin to find the exact right place down a dusty random side street. Pretty fun!
    MVIMG_20190809_142508.jpg

MVIMG_20190809_142451.jpg

We then hopped back on the bike and rode south past to Quito to Machachi a small town near the entrance to Cotopaxi National Park. Cotopaxi is the highest active volcano in the world, and the next day we rode 40min unpaved to the entrance where we were told motorcycles were no longer allowed in the park as of 5 years ago due to abuse. Too bad! But we hitchhiked our way into the park and spent the day hiking around in the volcano. It was a great day- pretty cold and windy but that kept the clouds from covering the mountain so we had great views. It took us 3 more cars of hitchhiking to get back to the gate.

Back of a truck going way too fast across dusty washboard..
    MVIMG_20190810_130708.jpg

We got back and realized how tired we were. We had spent the day right around 12k ft of elevation and I did feel myself feeling a little loopy. Something we will have to be aware of moving forward. Somewhere in this part we lost our tripod too which is too bad- we lost the last one in Costa Rica and didn't replace it until Medellin hopefully this time we can be quicker!

Our next ride was to Banos, an adventure sports tourism based town in a deep bowl of mountains. We both felt ecstatic to be back riding, which we're thankful for because we weren't sure how we would feel coming back- now we know we love it. Rachel has already been lamenting the need to stop in Argentina at some point. We have a ton of miles between here and there, so we'll see if that tune continues through December. I hope it does. Banos is cool, we have gotten to see some waterfalls and I did a swing over the edge of a cliff that ended up being scarier than I expected! Weather is rain on and off and in the 60's. Actually makes for much easier ride days than the 100+ through Central America. We replaced Rachel's jacket and pants because they were simply too hot with a non-removable waterproof liner. I hope we don't regret the new mesh jacket as we continue through the Andes.. At least she has waterproof and thermal liners and always gets the heated vest.

We are now debating going out to the coast of Ecuador or dropping down to Cuenca. Not in a hurry or need to be anywhere now, so I think we might just go check it out. Galapagos will be saved for another trip when we are older and our pockets are fuller.