Wedding Vows in Action: Riding South from Seattle

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by ADVegan, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Extra Extra Read All About It

@Phlyn' Phil my take on it after reading the above and similar experiences is that it can be done - if the petitioner is persistent and talks to the right person in the right frame of mind.

And Phil - Nebraska will be 10-2 next year. Keep hope alive.
    ADVegan likes this.
  2. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    This link shows the location of all the Banjercito offices that provide TVIPs. La Paz is listed as Pichilingue

https://www.banjercito.com.mx/PDF/Modulos_iitv.pdf

As Jonz said, people have reported getting getting visa/tourist cards at the airport but INM /immigration people are apparently only there when international flights are arriving.

Good luck. Sounds to be a great trip.
    ADVegan likes this.
  3. Hill Climber

Hill Climber Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If I'm not mistaken, you will have to have your online FMM stamped at the port of entry indicated on your online application.

You may be able to get another one further south, but your passport number is tied to the original online FMM, so may or may not be a problem.

And, if you're stopped on your way south and asked to produce your valid FMM, you may have a problem there too. Here's where others chime in and say "I've never been asked to produce my FMM in 20 years." Well, there have been recent reports of immigration road side checks.
    ADVegan likes this.
  4. Phlyn' Phil

Phlyn' Phil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Hope IS alive and well up here in 'Sker Country!!
    ADVegan likes this.
  5. pceire32

pceire32 Irish

Oddometer:
    As SB said check Santa Rosalia When a ferry is arriving, if not go to the Airport in La Paz when a International flight is arriving (only time the immigration officials will be there.) you may be able to get your stamp on your FMM. I have had a rider do this before. Check at the ferry terminal at La Paz if there is an immigration official at the incoming ferry terminal. You will have no problem getting your TVIP at the ferry terminal in La Paz but you will need the right documentation the people at the ferry terminal in La Paz have been very helpful to me any time I had a problem. The ferry terminal is in Pichilingue about 8 miles from La Paz. Good luck. :-)
    ADVegan likes this.
  6. Duanob

Duanob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well since you've already ridden and seen Baja why not ride back to the border, get all your paperwork in order then ride down main land Mexico? Lot's of good destinations to see.
    ADVegan, Turkeycreek and fasttortoise like this.
  7. pceire32

pceire32 Irish

Oddometer:
    Whale season is beginning and there are two lagoons South of you where you can take a boat out to see the Grey whale. They are both near Cidudad Constitution
    Puerto Lopez Mateo's & Puerto San Carlos they both have community boats that go out on the lagoon and it is cheaper then the tours out of San Ignacio or Guerrero Negro. You should go, it is the only place in the world that the whales come right up to the boat, and you may get to pet them. Often 1200 - 1500 whales on a lagoon. La Paz has the Humpback whale but you will view that from a distance. It is late in the season but there may be some whale sharks around La Paz.:-)
    ADVegan likes this.
  8. ADVegan

ADVegan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the help and suggestions! We've talked about possibly heading back up Baja but we're in Loreto now, so we're just going to continue on and see if we can have a stroke of luck in La Paz or if we swing through Cabo.

Our Spanish isn't terrific by any means, but I have better than average luck so you never know.

Kicking myself a bit, it is pretty obvious now and I knew all about the TVIP and everything else, I just mentally checked the FMM off the list when we ordered the forms and paid online. Ahh well, would hate to have a boring story. And with all the caravan talk in the US, it's a little funny we're currently illegal immigrants in Mexico!
  9. ADVegan

ADVegan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks SB, you're right, Solvang is Danish! I will pretend I was fooled by the windmill and not that I'm ignorant and forget which is which.

Thanks for the tip, we will look into it!
  10. pceire32

pceire32 Irish

Oddometer:
    You are OK, don't beat your self up, most people traveling Baja to cross on the La Paz ferry get their TVIP in La Paz. I have made the ferry trip at least 6 times and never got my TVIP at the border. If you are heading South on Mainland Mexico then you must get your TVIP at the border. No part of Baja requires you to have a TVIP. You do need one to leave to go to Mainland Mexico and you get one at La Paz. You have a FMM, although it is not completely legal till it is stamped you will get that done at one of the places suggested South. Enjoy the relaxing place Baja is. Ride Safe. :-)
  11. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Agree with pceire. relax.
    you might be surprised to hear how many people show up here in Banámichi with no visa and no TVIP claiming they were just waved through. Better signage would help
  12. Doloe2

Doloe2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ADVegan likes this.
  13. ADVegan

ADVegan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  14. Rubinski

Rubinski Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ADVegan, I have a contact in La Paz that works for Baja Ferries. She took all of my paperwork when I couldn't find a Ferries and got me on a Cargo Ship to ship my bike from Sonora to Baja. Not sure what she can do for you but let me know if you need someone there for shipping. Send me a private email.
    ADVegan and kres like this.
  15. Bgunn

Bgunn Posible mañana

Oddometer:

I'm sure you probably have your rear preload maxed out ? Great report!
    ADVegan likes this.
  16. kres

kres Arrrrrrrrr!

Oddometer:
    It's not an Adventure w/ out some bumps, drama, and relief! :lol3

Tuned into this one for sure! :smile6
    ADVegan likes this.
  17. 1suffolkmare

1suffolkmare Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1 on the pescatarian thing.

I look forward to following you guys on your adventure.
    mitchapalooza and ADVegan like this.
  18. ADVegan

ADVegan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I didn't at the time, but remembered shortly after. That helped a ton, probably don't need to cut it down anymore.
  19. ADVegan

ADVegan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Today we woke up in La Paz after spending one night in Mulege and two in Loreto.

Everyone on the forum has lots of good stuff to say about Mulege,and I think the beaches just south are gorgeous. Unfortunately the main street through town was all torn up and we went to stay at a hotel just on the other side of the river. Nice place but very Gringo-priced and we were the only ones staying that night so it felt a little weird. I could see the camping opportunities the next day and I know someday I'll revisit Baja with my gear and a lighter bike to get into a lot more sand. For this trip I'm very grateful to have Rachel on the back of the bike and we're doing hotels and pavement (mostly) to keep her there. IMG_20181202_132652.jpeg

We had a nice two nights in Loreto, and the people we met were mostly retirees from the US or Canada. We stayed at Orlando's by recommendation from people we met earlier in the trip. He's a great guy-
    IMG_20181205_110505.jpeg

Big thing to do in Loreto is head up to the mission about an hour outside of town, but it just never seemed like the perfect time so we didn't make it. Also, maybe I'm just not at that stage in my life right now, but Im not super interested in colonial missions. They don't seem to stand for something positive in my mind, the architecture isn't special to me, and they're not relatively that old compared to ruins etc. Who knows, maybe someday I'll change my mind.

We rode down to La Paz yesterday and we're staying at a hostel which we prefer to hotels. We've already met some cool folks staying here who sailed down from California.

Add us to the list of people who messed up the documents on the way into Mexico. We went to the immigration in town today and told our story and the lady had zero sympathy and said "Why didn't you know?!" I mentioned the airport might be able to stamp us and she was appalled, and said it was illlegal and we'd be arrested for trying. Ok, I get it.. the idea is Mexico "treats you like an adult" and you're expected to know what is required. That can be true aaaaaand they could put up a small sign at the border. Doesn't have to be mutually exclusive.

We booked some flights up to TJ Saturday, and back Sunday for relatively cheap (same day round trips we're not cheap unfortunately). It absolutely dumped rain this afternoon, and the streets became rivers about 8in deep, so we were just happy we didn't decide to ride in to town today. IMG_20181206_151710.jpeg

To the couple pescatarians, did we just start the Meatless Motorcycle Club?! You guys would have no trouble in Baja, seafood everywhere. The vegan thing is going OK so far, options are limited as expected. We've eaten a lot of the same stuff, but people have mostly understood what "vegetarianos" are and then we ask for without cheese. Usually that stumps them for a minute, like "what the hell are we gonna give these people?".. but we are surviving! Sometimes that means roadside sandwiches out of the pelican case. Actually, a lot of times that means that. IMG_20181202_122459.jpeg
  20. 1suffolkmare

1suffolkmare Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Meatless Motorcycle Club - heck yeah! Sign me up. We can be founding members! There should be a sticker for that...:-)
    Bgunn likes this.