Wedding Vows in Action: Riding South from Seattle

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by ADVegan, Nov 14, 2018.

1. ADVegan

ADVegan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tapatalk is being weird today, I can't seem to add pictures to that last post.

Here are a few from this stretch.

Sweet hostel sticker from Mazatlan:
    IMG_20181216_143806.jpeg

Rachel in Sayulita:
    LRM_EXPORT_104996484628108_20181220_155002948.jpeg

The two of us in a rare photo together:

LRM_EXPORT_104996389811328_20181220_155002853.jpeg

After some surf lessons, fun and harder than it looks! I'll keep trying.

LRM_EXPORT_105612005352082_20181220_160018469.jpeg
  2. Phlyn' Phil

Phlyn' Phil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Be very careful about the Dengue, if you start getting worse get to a real hospital. Most people are mostly immune or get through it. But, Four years ago, a good buddy of mine was wintering in sayulita, got dengue, and with complications from a blood disease, was dead in two days. Playing international hearse was not a fun job.
    Keep smiling and have fun!!
    ADVegan likes this.
  3. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Sweet. I use to live in GTO have fun with the mummies, mine and nightlife.

If you need some R&R
    Check these hot springs:

La Gruta Spa
    Carr. Dolores Hidalgo km 10, Guadalupe, 37893 San Miguel de Allende, Gto., Mexico
    +52 415 185 2162
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/JQiTm

Great food here

Vía Orgánica
    Calle Margarito Ledesma 2, Guadalupe, 37710 San Miguel de Allende, Gto., Mexico
    +52 415 152 8042
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/UW2gU
    Charmin and ADVegan like this.
  4. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was going to say your girl friend has a different outfit on in every photo, where do you put it all:lol3
    ADVegan likes this.
  5. ADVegan

ADVegan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Damn.. I'm really sorry to hear that. I'll be keeping close tabs on it. I felt like the fever passing was a good sign but I'm definitely not feeling over 75% right now.
  6. ADVegan

ADVegan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Let's just say I hope we don't have many mechanical issues, there wasn't a lot of room for tools once the critical items were packed!
    Aces 6, powderzone and Cal like this.
  7. kumatae

kumatae Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ADVegan likes this.
  8. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Re: dengue ... ?
    Are you sure it is that ? Don't pull a Jim Hensen or Steve Jobs and wrongly think you have it diagnosed and fail to get proper medical attention.
    If you guys make a habit of swallowing sea water it could be anything -- you might have been swimming through a diluted plume of raw sewage near Sayulita and Mazatlan :sick:nah who knows ? --- amoeba, bacteria ,virus .Think of finding a clinic that could do some quick blood tests , just in case , especially if you keep feeling off-key .
    Charmin, neanderthal and CROSSBOLT like this.
  9. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    I'm enjoying your travels. Like has been mentioned you might want to visit a clinic to be sure of what you have and get it taken care of. It's not worth your trip being ruined or worse by not getting checked.

I will be following along and looking forward to seeing where your adventure takes you.
    ADVegan and yokesman like this.
  10. ADVegan

ADVegan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks all. For one day I thought it was the flu because I hadn't gotten any rash. Later that day, I got a rash all over that exactly matched the Dengue photos online, so I'm pretty sure that was it. Luckily, that seemed like the grand finale and two days later I'm almost 100% again.
    LRM_EXPORT_4051710045128_20181225_133723192.jpeg
    We spent four nights in Guanajuato which was mostly made up of recovery days any bumming at the hostel. We had a great view and the hostel was up a couple hundred stairs from the road.

LRM_EXPORT_1452787698263_20181225_112839793.jpeg

The above is a picture I took with my drone. I haven't broken in out much yet on this trip. I crashed my last Mavic into a river and I've been pretty gunshy of flying the new machine, but it's getting to the point where if I don't use it, I shouldn't be carrying it!

On that note- same goes for Rachel's guitar:

LRM_EXPORT_1467356398568_20181225_112854362.jpeg

We liked Guanajuato a lot, it's too bad I was sick for a good portion of it. The city is so steep. The combination of stairs, 6800ft of elevation, and the fever didn't make it easy to run around a ton. We did catch a little league baseball game at the stadium in town which I really enjoyed.

We rode an easy hour and a half over to San Miguel de Allende. Really nice pleasant road, just the way I like 'em. We parked the bike in the hotel courtyard and set off to celebrate Christmas Eve.

LRM_EXPORT_4193611529941_20181225_133945094.jpeg

Had a wonderful evening and Rachel had enough martinis to make an offer on a bar. Luckily the owner thought it was way too low, and I dodged a bullet. San Miguel topped Travel and Leisure's "Best City in The World" list two years in a row. I don't know why they would do that to a place- it's pretty swamped here now. Not a bad place to be for the holidays that's for sure.

Merry Christmas!
  11. WileyRTW

WileyRTW Wiley

Oddometer:
    What is your opinion on the guitar, do you think it gets enough play time....I am bringing mine either way, but expect I will not play it as much as I would like, and think it may be an annoying thing to carry since it is obviously tough to pack. I bring it on my short trips but am concerned about lugging it everyday long term. Thanks
  12. ADVegan

ADVegan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not nearly enough play time to make it worth it in my opinion. It's strapped to the top of the pelican case on the back, and we could put another duffle there easily that could hold our cold weather gear a lot more simply.

Your mileage might vary if it's a big part of who you are, but it just never seems like the right time to play, we are either riding or exploring a city or eating. I actually just got an ad on Instagram for a folding, indestructible travel guitar- if you plan to be off-road dropping the bike.

I stopped into a DHL to ask about shipping it back and the lady quoted me something like $260 US, but something must have gotten lost in translation.
    WileyRTW likes this.
  13. WileyRTW

WileyRTW Wiley

Oddometer:
    When I brought a guitar on my van trip through Latin America it did not get the playtime I expected but was easy to pack away and forget, maybe I will see how the bike looks once packed, I have a small carbon fiber one so durability is not a huge issue. I wont have a passenger either, so not quite as loaded as you are, but plan on being on the move every day or so which leaves less time to lounge around playing a guitar.

Thanks for the 1st hand insight!!
  14. Holaday

Holaday Man of Leisure

Oddometer:
    Happy New Year. Hope you 2 are doing well. Enjoying your RR. When are we gonna get some more ?
  15. fasttortoise

fasttortoise Smartest Idiot Here

Oddometer:
    +1

How’s the vegan thing going?
  16. ADVegan

ADVegan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a long post made and I lost it to Tapatalk, so I fell behind- but I'm going to try to catch up now. We are all the way down to Oaxaca city!

The vegan thing is going as well as can be expected. In the larger cities, there are a surprising amount of options. In the smaller towns, we've gotten more comfortable trying to ask restaurants to make the fajitas without adding the meat. I feel like we're missing out a bit because I can see that the cuisine has changed dramatically along the way and we've had to miss some traditional foods. But on the flip side it's been really cool meeting people in the vegan shops and supporting them. It's a kind of community, not unlike fellow motorcyclists.

LRM_EXPORT_99231638004423_20190107_083349904.jpeg

That's a cow saying "I'm not your food" at a vegan spot in Mexico City.

Ok I'm going to make a full post now of Mexico City, Tepoztlan, and Puebla.
    wilfred, yokesman and fasttortoise like this.
  17. fasttortoise

fasttortoise Smartest Idiot Here

Oddometer:
    I asked because some vegetarian friends said they had a real tough time in central and southern Mexico last year. Really enjoying your trip and writing. Keep it up!
    ADVegan likes this.
  18. ADVegan

ADVegan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tapatalk keeps telling me I don't have permission to add photos so I logged in on the computer- didn't realize how large the pictures were coming through!

Everyone has said we should expect the vegan thing to get harder as we go further south. It definitely adds a different dynamic to the trip. Rachel and I have backpacked across Europe together and a little South East Asia but those were both before we stopped eating meat. Usually if someone was being irritable (me) it was easy to solve by getting food, now it's a little harder but not impossible in the least. They sell bananas everywhere, and refried beans in bags so we can always squeeze some beans onto tortillas and not starve. Add some avocado and really what more could you want?
    fasttortoise and Bgunn like this.
  19. ADVegan

ADVegan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After Christmas we rode to Mexico City from San Miguel de Allende. I always find myself googling cities in other people's ride reports, so if you don't want to do that- here are the cities we visited since my last post in San Miguel de Allende, for context.

ScreenShot.png

In CDMX (Ciudad de Mexico) we stayed right in between the hip neighborhoods of La Condessa and Roma in what was advertised as a single room AirBnB but was more of a hostel without a front desk. Rachel's birthday is the 29th so we figured we would stay through the New Year's Eve and leave on the Jan 1. While our neighborhoods were great, the city overall is just too big for me. We found ourselves suffering from decision fatigue- instead of “what can we eat?” we all of a sudden had to decide which place was best, and who has the best reviews etc. We both liked the city, but it was hard to remember we were in Mexico, where we were staying had an upscale European feel. We had a lot of fun and spent way too much money, prices were similar to the US.

On New Year's Eve we stayed out till just after 12 and then went to bed to ride north to Teotihuacan to check out the pyramids at sunrise. At 5:30am, there were still people out partying and I realized it was probably a bad call to be on the roads, but there were tons of cops and few cars on the road so we drove on. As we rode it dropped from about 58F down to 33! We knew it was be chilly before the sun came up, but I wasn't thinking 33.. it was worth it to see the sun come up and hit the pyramids and hot air balloons.

LRM_EXPORT_99072207780989_20190107_083110475.jpeg

LRM_EXPORT_99112423514318_20190107_083150691.jpeg

That same day we rode to Tepoztlan, a small town about an hour and a half South. It's become a popular day trip from Mexico City, and supposedly has a big Saturday market. I don't know how you could tell, the entire city is one gigantic market everyday. It was a fun place to be for a few days, and we much appreciated the smaller feel. They did have a bunch of local pre-Columbian food that was meat free. It was essentially patties of different vegetable varieties that they smothered in mole sauce, really good. We liked the town a lot and booked an extra couple nights. We also hiked up to a pyramid just outside of town, the main road turns into a trail that goes steeply up the hill. Not a long hike but definitely steep, and we were surprised how many grandmother-aged women we saw heading up. Not something we see in the US, people working well into their later years and still willing to hike up the mountain. Makes me question some of our perceived limitations. Might change my mind on that in 40 years..

Me trying to find my way out of the never-ending market. Took me two smoothies, a sangria and a mojito to get out..
    LRM_EXPORT_99661755971281_20190107_084100023.jpeg

We left Tepoztlan and rode East to Puebla City. The city of 2.5 million people just popped out of nowhere as we turned a corner in what had been farmland for miles. We grabbed a bite and drink at a cafe with a teenager out front playing the saxophone like a master. We ended up getting dinner and one thing led to another and we found a karaoke bar, Rachel's favorite.. turned into a later night than we planned!

All I wanted to do in Puebla was check out the pyramid in nearby Cholula. At the pyramid up in Teotihuacan I learned we were standing on the world's 3rd biggest pyramid, which begs the question: which are numbers one and two? Apparently number two is the Great Pyramid of Giza, and the biggest is in Cholula. Naturally we had to go, but I understand why Giza gets more attention- Cholula is covered in vegetation and looks so much like a hill the Spanish built a church on top when they arrived not knowing it was a pyramid.

We did an overnight stop in Tehuacan, which was pretty uneventful. As we left, our hotel key card stopped working, and a maid promptly pushed a couch in front of our door, hopped up and opened the window above the door. She used a broom to open our door from the inside handle... So that was good to know about! We rode to Oaxaca City and pretty much got food and crashed. Will be exploring the city the next few days.

One weird thing happened today. The ride here was gorgeous, giant canyons and vistas so I pulled off for lunch at a lookout. After lunch, I turned the bike on and I got a “fuel pump failure” message on the KTM dash. That's happened once before and an ignition key cycle made it go away. This time it did it about 4 times, and I couldn't hear the pump's normal noise. So I pushed it to the shade because it'd been riding about 210° on the way up the canyon. After nervously considering options for about 10 minutes, Rachel said she was optimistic, so I tried again and it fired right up.. Made us a little nervous as we were pretty far from either city. Anyone know if heat or elevation (7k feet roughly) could cause that or if I should be more concerned about the pump?
    wilfred likes this.
  20. ADVegan

ADVegan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok, I can only add 4 images per post- learning something new everyday.

Here is Rachel with another new outfit in Tepoztlan:
    LRM_EXPORT_99296172482988_20190107_083454440.jpeg
    Here is the largest pyramid in the world (that hill behind us with a church on top of it):

LRM_EXPORT_99686505410986_20190107_084124773.jpeg

Here is a hotel maid EASILY breaking into our room:
    IMG_20190107_110935.jpg

And here is the remote area where the bike didn't want to start.. PLEASE SEE POST ABOVE, ADVICE WELCOME

DJI_0329.jpg
    wilfred, Holaday, roadcapDen and 2 others like this.