Wedding Vows in Action: Riding South from Seattle

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by ADVegan, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Reidy008

Reidy008 I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer:
    Know issue is Fuel pump failure on that bike.. it will be intermitten and then go out and your done.. I would be sourcing a new one before you get stranded. Have a good friend who this happened to in Alaska last year.
    ADVegan likes this.
  2. ADVegan

ADVegan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you. Shit... Ok I'll start looking.

In other news, given the high temps I was seeing I checked the coolant reserve and saw it was empty at first glance. I need to get the bike level and get a better look, but that concerns me as the manual says "if empty- do not start the bike". I'm trying to find some coolant here in Oaxaca, although the posts I've seen all call for Motorex 3.0 and I don't think that's something I'll find here. I guess I could use distilled water for now, unless someone thinks otherwise!
    Munchenman likes this.
  3. docwyte

docwyte Long timer

Oddometer:
    You should always carry a spare fuel pump and several spare fuel pump filter kits for that bike.
    ADVegan likes this.
  4. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Throw in distilled water, any water .!it is an emergency . You can flush and put in the prepared coolant eventually .
    You are not in danger of freezing the engine , but seizing the engine.
    In a pinch you could fill it with tequila , but keep the level in the remote header tank in the proper range .

Every day and after every stop always check the sight gauges on your coolant and engine oil levels
    ADVegan likes this.
  5. ADVegan

ADVegan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Now I know! I'm working on getting some filters shipped down. We are going to stop and take some Spanish lessons for a couple weeks so hopefully I can get the stuff through customs and delivered in time.
  6. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Through customs ????http://hiperbikes.com.mx/ktm/

Have you asked the KTM folks in Mexico if they have any pumps on the shelf ? There at a number of them running around the DF which they need to service.
    If it comes down to it you can hop a bus and pick them up .

PS: With the engine now stone cold take off the radiator cap and check the fluid level there. If it is full you can breathe out in relief , you did no engine damage . If there is no coolant up to the filler neck then add new fluid or water right into that filler hole to the point of overflowing. Wait a while to see if it is draining down and add more until it stays full . Replace the cap properly and then fill the header tank to FULL mark .( I know nothing about KTM , but there is sometimes a bleed screw at a water pump to let off trapped bubbles )
    You can't really do damage by overfilling , excess will simply be blown out the vent tube from that tank .
    Then figure out why you lost the coolant - is it a single day loss or from weeks or months ? Check drain hole from the water pump bearing , end of overflow vent . Check colour of engine oil for water/ antifreeze contamination .
    shuswap1, orv and ADVegan like this.
  7. ADVegan

ADVegan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was hoping to get the re-designed filter and fuel neck filter from inmate @guglemonster since replacing existing with the same thing is just likely to happen again. Since I have a couple weeks I thought it would be best to do it as well as I can.
    Oldschoolrocker and guglemonster like this.
  8. LateToTheGame

LateToTheGame Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great TR so far. My wife's marriage vows included something like "I vow to shoot him in the head if he tries to buy a motorcycle.", so well done there. I still bought a motorcycle, but she will not ride - either on the back or on her own bike. Sad...

I digress. Enjoying your ride reporting. Sounds lovely, but you gotta put a damper on this clothes shopping thing or you'll be discarding essential gear to make room for the new clothes. :1drinkTo be fair, my wife usually purchases an item or two on our adventure trips. She seems to make good choices, better than she might make at home, and those clothes get worn a lot. Something about remembering the circumstances in which they were purchased I suppose.

By the way, a light down- or Primaloft-insulated puffy makes a great outer and/or mid layer for trips where it's mostly warm, but occasionally isn't. Light, stuffs down to nothing. Next trip...

Good luck with the fuel pump and coolant.
    Aces 6, ADVegan and yokesman like this.
  9. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Add to that about the jacket, my wife has one from REI that rolls up into its own pocket, 650 down. about the size of an over filled taco.
    ADVegan likes this.
  10. docwyte

docwyte Long timer

Oddometer:
    Inmate Gefr sells stock replacement fuel filters for a fraction of the cost of new. Look into getting a fuel pump from Quantum, again a fraction of the price of new from KTM
    ADVegan likes this.
  11. ADVegan

ADVegan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks all for the info!

We're in Puerto Escondido now on the beach, and I have the Guglemonster filters on order from Best Rest. Guglatech said the actual pump is rarely the problem, so I'm hoping I can swap in the filters and keep the stock pump. If not, Quantum will probably be called. Haven't seen the fuel pump warning since that one day, but I know it could be lurking so might as well fix it. I know I'm not meant to post other media here but there is a drone video on our instagram of where we had the issue. @thehavekosts. If I need to remove that, mods- let me know!

The radiator was full, but the reserve was empty. I filled that, but the bike is still running hotter than usual. I think I still need to properly bleed the cooling system, and I'll do that in the next couple days. I'm seeing temps of 200-206F while riding at 4th gear+ and it goes up fairly quickly when I have to stop at ALL THESE SPEED BUMPS!! The other day I tried to re-frame my perspective on the speed bumps and express my gratitude for them since they slow down other drivers and keep us safe, but holy shit. For those who haven't ridden much in Mexico- they're just everywhere. I'm OK with them when they make sense like before a sharp curve, etc. But many seem random and that just... Drives me...Mmmakes me so grateful that other drivers are slowing down!

IMG_20190109_151709.jpeg

Rachel got food poisoning in Oaxaca bad enough that I took her to the hospital one morning. We kept booking one more night because first I needed an afternoon to remove the tank and check the coolant etc. That night she was up all night and so we booked one more day in the hostel. We never did make it to the main attractions near town, but by the time she was feeling decent, we wanted to ride on. One shining moment was that Rachel got us a free night stay on the last night with her photography skills, sick and all!

Rach not feeling it on the ride out of Oaxaca- she was a trooper! I have countless photos of her on the ground eating next to highways, not sure what that's about but I'm planning a collage.
    IMG_20190111_130356.jpeg

We rode 3 hours to San Jose Del Pacifico - not on Google maps, and one of my favorite places so far. After about two hours of riding from Oaxaca, we climbed 3-4k feet to an elevation of 8k feet and the terrain became Alpine with pine forests. We could have been in WA or Oregon and it was super refreshing! We stayed at Refugio Teraza de la Tierra. It was a very "spiritual" mountain place with several adobe cabins and a large terraced garden. They had communal meals (vegan) that mostly all came from the garden there. It poured rain that night and we had a fire in the cabin for warmth as it dropped to the mid 40s. My only regret is that we didn't stay longer.

LRM_EXPORT_37362542766121_20190115_185554475.jpeg

The following day, we headed toward Mazunte. A little backstory, long ago I had randomly decided that in Puerto Escondido we would stop for two weeks and take Spanish classes. I have no idea why I decided this, nor why Rachel accepted it as dogma, but we did. Along the way everyone told us, "Mazunte is the magical place in the area, Puerto is ehh... Big city. Good if you like surfing.."

Well we dropped down to Mazunte over 3 hours, from 8k feet to the beach. I don't think there was a straight stretch of road longer than 100ft the whole way. We stopped often so Rachel wouldn't puke and so I could remember to keep concentrating. Somewhere along the way it changed from 50F when we left to 83F and very humid. We hadn't booked a room so we pulled in Mazunte and booked one via the phones from a coffee shop. As we pulled up, I got an email that it was an error and there were no rooms available. We were hot and bothered so Rachel walked across the street and booked us a $20/night "room" that wasn't big enough for our stuff plus the small bed. We sweat and listened to the local rodeo PA system blaring until 3am. We were not feeling the "Mazunte Magic" at all so the next day I got our money back for the second night we'd asked for and we splurged on a place in San Agustinillo a mile down the road. Now I say splurged, but it was $119 with tax, but I felt like it was close to a trip saving decision.

We showed up very early to the other place, hung out at the pool and talked with a Dutch couple on their way out. They told us we had booked rooms below the pool and the ones above were worth the extra price (they'd stayed in both). I asked about the price of the other rooms and they weren't available... But the penthouse was. "Why don't we just look?" Shit.. so that's how we ended up staying in a gorgeous penthouse at Casa Comete. It was only 50% more expensive and hundreda of times more "splurge-worthy".

LRM_EXPORT_37440794052562_20190115_185712726.jpeg

That move might have backfired. We got to Puerto Escondido after lounging by that pool for another day and went to check into our bungalow at the language school. The director had emailed me saying they only had the "discount bungalow" for our first week to which I responded with glee. I did not realize just how discount it was, nor what "bungalow" means here. It may have been a small improvement over camping, but not by a lot.

We found a hostel nearby and had our first lessons this morning which went well. It is roasting hot here, making me nervous for the next steps of the trip as we keep heading South. We have decided to take one week of lessons instead of two and we are debating our next direction- up toward the Yucatan or straight into Guatemala.

Wow that was long, thanks for reading!
    wilfred, TownPump, powderzone and 5 others like this.
  12. ADVegan

ADVegan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @yokesman and @LateToTheGame

The "Pata-Gucci" jacket I have is perfect for this. Should have gotten one for Rach before we left. A packable 650 loft jacket is recommended for anyone planning a trip!

Now, we're incredibly hot and the thought of jackets is making me sweat. Pretty crazy the range of temps we've experienced, but luckily (knock on wood) staying dry on the bike this far.
  13. Trip Hammer

Trip Hammer It's not the years, it's the mileage Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great reporting ADVegan!! Hope you find a fix for the steed.

You were in San Juan del Pacifico and uh...didn't try the local "magic" delicacy?
    Shame shame...:lol3
    ADVegan likes this.
  14. ADVegan

ADVegan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Haha so true.. especially where we were staying. Rachel was still in bad shape, and it seemed selfish. Like I said, I do regret not staying longer!
    fasttortoise and Trip Hammer like this.
  15. ADVegan

ADVegan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We are staying in Puerto Escondido while we wait on the filters and take some Spanish lessons. So far the lessons are good, and tracking stopped in Mexico City which I think is to be expected. No idea how long the shipping time might be from CDMX to Puerto Escondido. Hoping to get them before next Wed. as we would like to leave that day.

Speaking of- does anyone have any experience the the space between here and San Cristobal de Las Casas? It's about 9hrs and it's hot here so we'd probably like to make that 3 days. Any advice on a cool place in between is welcome! Screen Shot 2019-01-16 at 8.03.31 PM.png
  16. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well I cant help you with your route but wish I could. But what I might help you with is some tips on getting the bike sorted? I also ride 2 up on a KTM 1290 so I enjoy your ride report. I was hoping in the beginning you had addressed the fuel filtering issue but now know its kicked your ass. I hope you have the proper o-rings lined up for the filter kit too? I hope you do as per @guglemonster . If not you might want to get the pump out now to allow the o-rings to shrink a bit. Also maybe watch @ladyknieval video or post on her doing filter swap etc. Not something you want to be unprepared for IMHO. Maybe you are already “dialed and styled” and wont have an issue but I had to say something. Enjoying your trip and when you get back up here to Wetside we’ll have to meet!! Cheers!!!
  17. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tuxtla Gutierrez is worth a night, stay right close to the Parque de Marimba, there are hotels within a few blocks of the Park. They play Marimba 365 days a year at the bandstand. People sit and listen or you can dance like the locals. Also Sumidero Canyon is close by for a day on the water.
    ADVegan likes this.
  18. 1suffolkmare

1suffolkmare Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I unfortunately don't have any suggestions on places to stay. But 25 years ago I took a trip to Guatemala and went to Spanish school in Antigua for 5 days. The school we attended set you up in a family's home for the nights you were enrolled. We had 5 hours a day of one on one instruction. I knew no Spanish before the school but was amazed at how much I learned from total immersion and class. It was a great experience. The family provided us one meal (dinner) a day and a simple room with a bed and a shared bathroom. They were a lovely group of people.

Antigua was a fabulous place to stay and we spent Christmas there. The places we stayed were all simple pensions that were around 2 bucks a night with shared baths. So, they may not live up to your standards. But I was fine with the simplicity. We were travelling by local bus (old bluebird school buses) and by hiking but we did manage to rent a dirt bike for a day trip into the volcanic mountains that encircle Antigua.

Be safe and enjoy your trip.
    ADVegan likes this.
  19. ADVegan

ADVegan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did get the o-ring set as well so I'm happy to hear it's necessary. I thought long and hard about the extra $40 for some o-rings, but I wanted to do it right.

On that note, I didn't spring for the external inline fuel filter, just the neck filter and the Godzilla filter. The inline filter was $70, and I did similar thing on my old Vstrom and the filter I got was $5. I thought I could find one and some FI hose and clamps here. What I read about the Godzilla filter was it needed that extra step of filtration. Do you happen to know what filter part number they suggest you use?

And thanks, there will be a lot of YouTube before I get the pump out. I already watched one video and in the demo the whole thing just came apart in the guys hands, pretty funny. And scary.
    guglemonster likes this.
  20. ADVegan

ADVegan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad it worked for you, we are liking it so far! We are doing 3hrs of lessons daily and we still feel like it's a lot to soak in at once. We tried for a homestay but the school suggested our veganism wasn't a great fit for that.
    fasttortoise likes this.