Wednesday Dec. 6- Galena

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by Skinner, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Skinner

Skinner Mr.KTM

Oddometer:
    OK, just one to start you off

[​IMG]
  2. skadamo

skadamo I like riding

Oddometer:
    Here's my story...

Woke up at 5 after working on my bike till 1 am doing neglected regular maintenance. I switched oil brands so I let the oil drain over night.

About 30 min before I had to be on the road to meet Skinner and Fist I added the oil and started her up. Did the usual look underneth for oil dripping. And dripping it was...actually pouring.

Shownuf, the o-ring seal on my DRZ was hanging out the bottom of the oil filter cover. 1am work is bad idea!!

I tried to salvage the oring but there was no way. My thoughts raced between using gasket in a tube, driving separately and waiting for a suzuki dealership to open, and no riding at all. All options sucked and I looked over at my SV650. hmmm...no way.

Call Skinner. Maybe he has an idea. I hear him talking to Fist in the background...."Fist has an extra O ring". No Way!!! My ride is saved!!! hmmm...$20? Do those orings really cost that much? Thanks Fist!

From there on the day went great for me. braking hard into turns at the edge of traction. Trying to keep the back wheel planted on the way out of turns as it transitioned from loose to packed gravel. AWSOME. I felt like Kurtis Roberts with the front and back wagg'n around. The pain in my big toe after working hard to reel in the 950 Adventure...watch that gravel spray! I have a new respect for KLR's and the people who ride them. (not that I did not have it before)...its just that my DRZ (and me) had nothing on them on those roads. Even the KLR 250 hung tough...nice work Culdron! We were all bummed when Chain broke down but then he goes and mcGivers his f650 and saves his ride! wtf. I would have been pack'n for lack of tech savy. Can you really use nuts and barries mixed with tree bark to fix a throttle cable? No wonder why they call it Chaingolia. I'm still stoked on this ride. OK gotta work now....
  3. LIP

LIP Open Mouth and insert LEG

Oddometer:
    quit hunting and put up some pics you lucky bastages. I want to live vicariously through those that can get away from their jobs on short notice.

LIP
  4. Skinner

Skinner Mr.KTM

Oddometer:
    No birds this morning, so here's the rest of the pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    OK I'm not much for words, just look at the pictures and shut up!
  5. skadamo

skadamo I like riding

Oddometer:
    Sorry LIP, I forgot my camera.

Here's a mental pic...
    cautiously rolling it on around a blind, nicely banked right hander at the top of the hill. The land and sky open up as the road heads down hill into a sweeping left hander with half a dozen riders forming a dotted line for a 1/4 mile ahead.... yeah baby.

And one more....
    Pulling up behind a stopped school bus thats dropping off kids. All of them pointing and looking wide eyed out the back of the bus. $20 says we created a few future bikers yesterday. Those kids were us 20 (maybe more for some :) ) years ago. To bad I don't know how to wheelie very well.

speaking of wheelie...
    A few of us are sit'n on the side of the road when we hear a low growel of a Vtwin spool'n up from behind. Its Skinner with the front wheel 5 feet off the ground do about 60 past us. Dry Mike look'n over and us both go'n "yeahh!!!!" in stereo.

Damn, there went my lunch break.
  6. LIP

Oddometer:
    I have seen Skinner on one wheel many times. Just don't let him come to your house or he leaves black marks on your sidewalk where does burn outs just to impress your kids and P.O. your spouse...

Thanks for the pics and smiles.

Can't wait till the next one so I can come play too.

LIP
  7. Skinner

Skinner Mr.KTM

Oddometer:
    Hey Lip, you're not above me so you must be

Below me.:rofl we missed ya big guy, fireman- where ya at, time to check in!
  8. skadamo

skadamo I like riding

Oddometer:
    Look'n forward to it!
  9. Skinner

Skinner Mr.KTM

Oddometer:
    Skads, get to work!
  10. Cauldron

Cauldron Now in DESMODROMIC!

Oddometer:
    Well my first ride with my new friends went better than hoped for! I lucked out getting a ride there so that I didn't have to find the place myself. (Thanx Chain!) I didn't know what to expect. My last group ride was years ago. I was on an old UJM and most of the others were on crotch rockets. I didn't know what a squid was then, but I was the only one with a helmet that day.:huh I am so relieved to see that like everything else in life, not all group rides are the same.
    This ride was faster paced than what I am used to with my limited experience, but I didn't seem to slow anyone down. There was always someone (or all of them) waiting at the crossroads to make sure I didn't get left behind. No one told me to go faster or to pick up the pace. I don't think having a 250 was a limiting factor as I kept up on the pavement pretty well. I'm just not that good in gravel yet!!
    Lunch was awesome. The view was great, the food was great, but the waitress was nothing to look at!!:lol3
    The best part of lunch was Chain walking in, having fixed his bike with dental floss and a filling out of his own molar! Then we ate in front of him.
    More riding on marbles... I mean gravel, and then it was over. 166 miles total according to my odometer. What a blast! I think I learned a lot about riding on gravel and I was a whole lot more confident by the time it was all over. The best part was meeting people thet were only electrons until then.
    Thanks to everyone for waiting for my slow ass and not making me feel like I had to push until I biffed!!:thumb
  11. Skinner

Skinner Mr.KTM

Oddometer:
    Welcome aboard couldron, now you've been initiated, you're one of us, the only way out is to move to Co. Hi fist:wave

only thing missing was Moto Joe:kurt

And Fireman:hair , and Lip:strum
  12. Fireman88

Fireman88 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am depressed that I was not there. I sat through about 5 hours of meetings during my 12 hour day at work making sure that the big pharmaceutical giant Abbott continues to make money, oops! I mean saves patients lives.
  13. skadamo

skadamo I like riding

Oddometer:
    Skinner, you obviously don't remember what happened the last time you got lippy...

Nice pics!!
  14. Skinner

Skinner Mr.KTM

Oddometer:
    No, I have a short memory, what happened?
  15. skadamo

skadamo I like riding

Oddometer:
    I don't remember either, must have been a draw.:lol3
  16. Skinner

Skinner Mr.KTM

Oddometer:
    I'm sure it was so bad we blocked it out, so I'm sorry for feeling so cocky and being lippy.
  17. LIP

Oddometer:
    Wouldn't be you if you weren' flip or lippy or sarcastic.

BTW, any pain yesterday now that you're a sport model, shootin' blanks, all juice and no seeds etc. etc.

LIP
  18. skadamo

skadamo I like riding

Oddometer:
    I would not have it any other way!

So, who bought the pitcher yesterday? much abliged.
  19. skadamo

skadamo I like riding

Oddometer:
    :lol3 Glad you came man!
  20. Skinner

Skinner Mr.KTM

Oddometer:
    You're welcome.