1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Wee Strom & F650GS (single) - who's toured on both?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by jwnsc, Sep 7, 2008.

1. earthroamer

earthroamer Stuck in Pindadesh

Oddometer:
    I toured 5k miles this summer on my 06 F650GS in Canada and SE Alaska, most of it slab, lot's of gravel.

[​IMG]

After getting a Russell saddle, I will tour for many more years on this bike. I love it.
  2. elgreen

elgreen Crotchety Contrarian

Oddometer:
    I've ridden a F650GS single and own a Weestrom. The F650GS feels *much* smaller than the Wee, with a much lower center of gravity. It felt almost like riding a kiddy bike compared to the Wee, which feels *big* and top-heavy. The F650GS, despite its heft, felt like a dirt bike. The Wee feels like a street bike -- indeed, feels an awful lot like my old Concours, except that the seating position is more upright and of course it is 200 pounds lighter :-).

Both get excellent gas mileage. The Wee has a bigger gas tank and slightly longer range.

Folks have taken a Wee lots of places, but in my mind it's a street bike that can handle some groomed gravel. I have my KLR for "real" adventures.
  3. Troutrider

Troutrider Vicarious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I rode an '01 Dakar for over 7 years. It was a great gravel bike. My favorite after owning 2 KLR's and a XR650L. I don't do that much gravel anymore so I sold it and bought a '08Wee. I love it. The Dakar was never stable at freeway speeds like the Wee. The new twin spark F.I. Wee goes well over 300 miles on a tank. The Dakar light came on between 160 and 180 miles. Maintenance is a pain on the Dakar (oil change) but you get used to it. If was going to do 90/10 I wouldn't hesitate to buy the Wee. If I leaned more towards 50/50 I'd get the Dakar. Both great bikes in a different way. Disclaimer: The Euro is whipping up on the dollar and Suzuki dealers are in every little town. Something to think about when needing parts.

Troutrider
  4. andy29847

andy29847 Dirt Road Rider

Oddometer:
    More shorts scrubbing action :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. jwnsc