Wee Strom Vs F650GS (Twin)

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by spawnx66, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have to commend BMW.
    With minor twists on the same basic product they seem to have targeted the Suzuki DL650 with the F650GS and to a degree the KTM 990 with the F800GS.
  2. OutbreakMonkey

OutbreakMonkey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What people are failing to take into account is bargaining power. With Suzuki, particularly with model run outs, you typically have great bargaining power. With BMW you have none, ever. Don't like the RRP, go buy a jap bike they say. There's 20 other blokes with more money than sense lining up to buy one so why should they feel obliged to knock some money off the price.
    Suzuki dealers on the other hand, know you can walk into Honda, Yamaha or Kawasaki and start haggling. A local dealer was willing to knock $1000 off the rrp of a new Gixxer for me, simply because a dealer two suburbs away was selling the same bike with a free slip on.
  3. cheff

cheff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    According to the specs of the F650GS twin it will have 73hp, that's a bit more than the wee.
  4. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, you're looking at the ABS price on the DL650 and (I assume) non-ABS on the BMW. Further, I believe BMW will hit you with a ~$500 mandatory destination charge whereas with the Suzuki, you can probably negotiate away any dealer F&S charge. In fact, I'd bet the BMW will go for full list the next year and the Suzuki will probably be discounted.

Nevertheless, if these prices hold, your point is very well-taken. At this price point, the F650GS is a hell of a bargain. Heck, I think the F650GS Dakar single last year was an easy $1K more than what they're asking for the twin.

- Mark
  5. spawnx66

spawnx66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You are mostly correct but recently BMW has been offering amazing deals on slow moving models such as the G650X series and the K1200R Sport. I'm hearing people getting the G650X now for $7g or less and the KR Sport for $11g in the States and the price has even dropped in Canada which is mostly unheard of! :roflIt's difficult to guage interest based on what you read on the internet but it seems most of the interest in on the F800GS model so this F650GS may go unnoticed and dealers willing to discount.

6. spawnx66

spawnx66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I bought my 2007 DL650 it was the same MRSP with no ABS available at the time. So if the CDN website is correct it looks like they are only bringing in ABS DL650 models in for '08 for the same price. Like you mentioned there is some dealer and administrative differences between the 2 models and brands, but this F650GS is starting to look like a real winner now. The F650GS single was $11g a couple of years ago.

7. pistol777

pistol777 Freedom Seeker

Oddometer:
    Anyway you cut it those GSs are sweet. I think that 650 may be a real sleeper as with a few farckles and you are in business for thousands less and maybe a more down to earth practical travel bike. :wink: :huh I dont like anything that gets hyped as it has a tendancy to fog reality.:wink:
  8. Kbetts

Kbetts Long timer

Oddometer:
  9. mr moto

mr moto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    the F800 twin engines already have a good reputation for low fuel consumption , so with the new F650GS having the same engine , but in a lower state of tune , it should have impressive MPG figures , as well as a decent range to a tank of fuel . cheap to buy, and cheap to run , sounds good to me .
  10. greywolf

greywolf Unpaved road avoider

Oddometer:
    Does anybody else find it funny that a thread about a BMW v. a Suzuki involves a post on how the BMW is cheap?
  11. KShow

KShow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Obviously the BMW will have more power, since its actually an 800cc engine, Lets compare apples to apples here. I used to think I wanted a BMW GS, untill I started reading stories about them. I'll stick with my Strom and not worry about my bike breaking down, or maintaining my "BMW image" the GS still looks like a sweet bike, just a little too much money for what I make.
  12. OConnor

OConnor VOTE!!

Oddometer:
    I'd need to see some road tests before I jump. I'm sure the rags will be all over this very subject as soon as they get a demo.
  13. smeghead

smeghead b00b

Oddometer:
    After reading the article, I don't think I'd buy a de-tuned version of the same bike with cast wheels and less suspension travel. If it is only 17lbs lighter and less offroad oriented, I think BMW made the right call. Just sell it in Canada where it targets the graded-license scheme, and just sell the real deal in the US.
  14. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    A motorcycle making 70hp is no more a "beginner" motorcycle than my Wee Strom is. The "egos" in NA are unbelievable. The older F650gs was a decent beginner mount as well as a bike an "experienced" rider could enjoy

15. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've only run into one 800 GS on my DL 650 so far - performance was petty close, I couldn't loose him on the straights, but I was walking away from him in the corners and on the exits. Eventually I just waved him though - he was doing silly things to keep up.

Basically I wouldn't have said that the difference between bikes was greater than the riders could make up for.

IF they'd been available when I sold my F650 a couple of years back I might have given them a serious look, but the WeeStrom just works so well and is so little hassle to own it'd be a hard ask to lure me away.
    Even if I did lust after one, I'd probably wait a year to see if any systemic problems had surfaced and see if I could pick one up second hand.

Pete
  16. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Assume you mean a F800ST or F800S? Since the F800GS is still months from shipping.

- Mark
  17. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, ST. Sorry. Engine is essentially the same as the 800 GS and presumably the ST has better road manners. I'm not saying it performed poorly - just that it didn't have a massive edge over the DL, and the DL is proven reliable. Some of the first FI F650 singles in comparison were nightmares to own.

Pete
  18. jackpiner57

jackpiner57 Moto-Racks.com Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I doubt that the new F650GS will have much more horsepower than the DL650 V-Strom, especially if it's tuned for torque. The DL650 has 64 corrected rear wheel HP. The F650GS has a CLAIMED 71 HP. That is most likely at the crank. I would guess that they will be about equal. The cc's don't mean a lot. For example, the Triumph Scrambler 865cc mill puts out a claimed 56 HP at the crank.

The torque dept. is where the BMW will be stronger with 55.32 ft. lbs. as opposed to the DL's 44.3 ft.lbs.

Both the F650gs and the F800GS look like winners to me.
  19. Grizzlybear

Grizzlybear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I recently conducted a two week guided tour on BMW's in Australia with a group of BMW club members from France. One of the Std F650GS's kept playing up being very hard to start and just being a bit of a dog to ride overall. The group got their heads together and suggested we should give this rider a better bike but we only had Wee-Stroms to spare. Fearing he would be ridiculed by the rest of the group for the rest of the trip for riding a Suzuki, the rider relunctantly accepted the swap.

At the next coffee stop I got Monsuier aside privately, looked him in the eye and with as much symphathy as I could muster asked, well what is the Suzuki like. Not surprisingly he beamed back with a big thumbs up then rushed out a statement in French concerning BMW's that would be basically unprintable for a nice family forum such as this!
  20. smeghead

smeghead b00b

Oddometer:
    Looking at the M1 requirements, I don't see why it would target the beginner crowd either. In any case, I wouldn't buy a detuned and less offroad friendly version of the f800gs platform. Other bikes already here do that better and more cheaply.

EDIT: the article linked earlier made that assertion based on the no-cost option that will restrict it to 34HP, so your self righteousness can rest easy. ( http://www.rubbermag.com/news/0711/071106_06.html )