Wee Strom Vs F650GS (Twin)

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by spawnx66, Dec 12, 2007.

1. K1W1

K1W1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    BMW may be prepared to offer the F650GS in Canada for the same MSRP as the Wee Strom but I bet that when the time comes to add farkles the BMW prices will make the Suzuki equivalents look like absolute bargains.
    The purchase price is a very small part of the overall investment and BMW are the masters of extracting money (large amounts of money usually) for extras.
    I bet simple things like third party heated hand grips and GPS will be a nightmare to install compared to other bikes then you can start looking at your luggage options. You will have a choice of hundreds of products for the Strom whereas the BMW will be limited to, ah BMW or Touratech both bargain suppliers - not.
  2. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    And as I stated earlier with regards to it not being a beginner bike; How many people in N/A do you think would have the bike come in "restricted" mode :patch I'll take a guess & say NONE. In Europe where there are HP restrictions on beginner bikes, the ability to have it detuned from 71hp will work. Not a chance in hell the bike will ever leave a dealer in Canada with only 34hp :hide

3. smeghead

smeghead b00b

Oddometer:
    If it was no cost and easily reversible I'd get that option just for grins. Not available for the 800, however.
  4. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    It is NO cost and reversible (not sure if reversing it costs :patch ) but I still say the ego's in N/A will not allow anyone to actually take delivery of a detuned machine. No it's only available on the "new" F650 version.

5. jjolly3

jjolly3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any thoughts on the F650gs twin vs the DL650 now that the GS's are shipping? I test rode the F650GS limited to a ride on the streets. It was comfortable for the short hop. How is the range on the V-strom vs the F650GS. My understanding is that the 650GS is more street oriented than the 800.
  6. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Wee has a considerably larger tank. Somewhat offsetting this, the BMW is purported to get excellente mileage, although the new Wee's are no slouches in this dept either. I'd suspect you'd comfortably have 50-75 miles more range with the Wee.

Yes, the 650 BMW twin is more street-oriented than the 800, mainly because of the 19" vs. 21" front end and tubeless tires. I think the seat height is lower also, and/or it has a factory lowering kit that allows it to be lowered further.

For the same price, I'd definitely take the BMW. But at MSRP in the US for comparable models w/ABS, the Wee is about $2400 cheaper which makes the choice a lot tougher.

- Mark
  7. blackie

blackie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The search function is your friend. The GSs have been around a year already.

Try this link too:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=415604
  8. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    Just read a wrap up of a long ter test in Cycle Canada, where the article's author (Costa Mazouris) riding "normally"; ie... no excessive speed,jackrabbit starts etc..., managed 88 mpg (Imp gal) or 500km to a tank which should be right in line with what the Wee strom can attain

9. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd bet under the same conditions the Wee would be returning 75+ mpg (Imp). The Wee has a 45% larger tank and apples to apples, you're just not going to get 45% better mileage with the BMW which would require repealing a few laws of thermodynamics.

- Mark
  10. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    Not going to argue that point and remember I own an 07 Wee. I was just pointing out something I had read by an "editor" whom I know & trust.

For the record I once attained 80mpg on my 07 Wee riding with a nervous n00b, just "idling" along in 6th gear doing 55mph :hide

11. DiabloTejano

DiabloTejano b00b t00b d00d

Oddometer:

what did you choose?